Re: officer's reading

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
      Has your friend tried Google books? In this group's message archives from a previous post are some examples (listed below my signature)

      Also try,

      http://www.naval-military-press.com/

      Lots of goodies in there.

      Tom

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

      For New Subscribers to this Yahoo Group and to keep others busy while
      it snows!

      Crown Forces books you can download for free ...

      General Regulations and Orders for the Army: Adjutant General's
      Office, 1811

      http://books.google.com/books?
      id=UoFUYUkI1EkC&pg=PA221&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
      1812&as_brr=1#PPP7,M1

      Rules and Regulations for the cavalry, 1795

      http://books.google.com/books?id=hUcIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA39&dq=army+officer%
      27s+date:0-1812&as_brr=1#PPP5,M1

      A New and Enlarged Military Dictionary, 1805

      http://books.google.com/books?
      id=tOypDj9DoZMC&pg=PT122&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
      1812&as_brr=1#PPT11,M1

      The Royal Military Chronicle, 1811

      http://books.google.com/books?id=uggJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA148-
      IA1&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPP15,M1

      A Treatise on the Eighteen Manouvres. 1805

      http://books.google.com/books?id=TgUHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA90&dq=army+officer%
      27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPP6,M1

      A Narrative of the Campaign of the British Army in Spain, 1809

      http://books.google.com/books?id=5SUKAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-
      PA10&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPA1,M1

      A systematic view of the formation, discipline and economy of armies,
      1804

      http://books.google.com/books?
      id=TSgAAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA220&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
      1815&as_brr=1#PPR3,M1

      Rules and regulations for the formations, field-exercise, and
      movements, of His Majesty's Forces, 1795

      http://books.google.com/books?
      id=dTIBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA29&dq=army+regulation+date:0-
      1815&as_brr=1#PPP9,M1

      Principles and Practice of Naval and Military Courts Martial, 1805

      http://books.google.com/books?
      id=vNc0AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA25&dq=army+regulation+date:0-
      1815&as_brr=1#PPR1,M1

      .... .... ....

      Two events posted on another Yahoo Group for your information

      19th WAR OF 1812 in the WEST SYMPOSIUM

      The annual war of 1812 in the West Symposium is scheduled for March
      28, 29, 2009, at Arrow Rock, Missouri, State Historic Site. The
      symposium is hosted by the 1st U. States Infantry, Clemson's Company-
      recreated, and sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural
      Resources.

      Saturday March 28 presentations will be from 8am to 5pm. Sunday March
      29 Presentations will be from 8am to Noon on Sunday.

      Topics accepted may be material culture, campaigns or social issues.
      Topics may be on the War of 1812 in the West, participants,
      regiments, the era of 1810 – 1820, or the War of 1812 in Canada or
      the United States. Presentations are to be 30 to 45 minutes in length
      with 5 to 10 minutes for questions. Six to seven presentations will
      be accepted for Saturday and three for Sunday.

      The War of 1812 in the West Symposium is Open to the Public, no
      registration is required and no fee to attend. Speakers donate their
      efforts to present the Best in War of 1812 presentations. The War of
      1812 in the west Symposium has continuously offered quality
      presentations on the War of 1812 since 1990.

      Please contact David Bennett, Coordinator 19th Annual War of 1812 in
      the West Symposium at ebclemson (at) aol.com or 816-582-0280

      .=.=.=.

      Fort Osage Fall Muster

      The Fort Osage Fall Muster, will be held October 24-25, 2009 at
      Historic
      Fort Osage, near Kansas City, Missouri. Fort Osage is recontructed
      1808
      log Fort, situated on the left bank of the Missouri River, about 25
      miles east of Kansas City, Missouri. All troops will be quartered in
      barracks or blockhouses.

      The Living History event, will portray the Garrison and local militia
      training after the depressing news in September and early October
      1812,of the recent failures of American Arms. There is a local
      connection to the fall of Fort Dearborn, as the commander Captain
      Nathan Heald was a friend of Captain Clemson and the local Sutler's
      wife, was the sister to Mrs. Rebbekah Heald.

      The event will portray an average life of a Garrison soldier,
      including Drill, Court Martial, drill, an soldier's burial, pay call,
      drill, etc.

      Authentic US Militia and regulars, plus civilian roles, etc. are all
      welcomed. For more information or to register, please contact:
      Dave Bennett at ebclemson (at) aol.com

      Yrs.,
      L2

      Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada
      ---------------------------

      --- End forwarded message ---

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Daniel O'Connell <todanieloconnell@...> wrote:

      > I've a friend who would like to know of 1812 period readings for
      > officers (much like Simes and Cuthbertson in Rev War)
      >
      > Are there any period publications anyone can recommend?
      >
      > O'Connell

      > Online Medical Insurance
      > Get free online medical insurance quotes and save more money today.
      > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=tXWdvgIFpTSUD1v4eRgLugAAJ1Dj6j5Z-KCv0_HEqBp6pDMYAAQAAAAFAAAAAPBMGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNQAAAAA=

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
        I believe the King's Press has Major-General
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General> Robert Craufurd's standing
        orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
        administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
        would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
        bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
        one.

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
          There is a wonderful on line resource which I suspect people may not have come across: the Internet Archives: www.archives.org

          This site is the result of a concerted effort by universities (mostly US,I believe) and other institutions to preserve older books, manulas and so on. The site has a basic search engine - titles, author's names and key word searches all turn up results and what it offers is full text versions of hundreds of texts, in HTML and two other formats. One can also search within any text (using the Cntrl F function.)

          As an example, the Archives hold the complete records of the Wisconsin Historical Society: thousands of pages of correspondence and recollections by key figures from the NorthWest in our period. The Archive also holds texts of a number field manuals for officers, both US and British.
        • biggest_plume
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
            Mark

            "King's Press"?

            Can't seem to find this

            "Drums"

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

            > I believe the King's Press has Major-General
            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General> Robert Craufurd's standing
            > orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
            > administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
            > would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
            > bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
            > one.
            >

            > Mark Dickerson

          • Iain Burns
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
              Try this, Drummie...

              http://www.kingspress.com/inside.html<http://www.kingspress.com/inside.html>

              Aye,
              Iain
              > I believe the King's Press has Major-General
              > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General>> Robert Craufurd's standing
              > orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
              > administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
              > would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
              > bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
              > one.
              >

              > Mark Dickerson

            • Mark Dickerson
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                Trotman book (sp?) in the UK has small pocket sized book of Craufurd's
                standing orders.

                Mark

                From: biggest_plume<mailto:drums1812@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Thank you

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

                  > Trotman book (sp?) in the UK has small pocket sized book of Craufurd's
                  > standing orders.
                  >

                  > Mark

                • biggest_plume
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009