officer's reading

  • Daniel O'Connell
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
      I've a friend who would like to know of 1812 period readings for
      officers (much like Simes and Cuthbertson in Rev War)

      Are there any period publications anyone can recommend?

      O'Connell

      Online Medical Insurance
      Get free online medical insurance quotes and save more money today.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=tXWdvgIFpTSUD1v4eRgLugAAJ1Dj6j5Z-KCv0_HEqBp6pDMYAAQAAAAFAAAAAPBMGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNQAAAAA=
    • tom4141fournier
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
        Has your friend tried Google books? In this group's message archives from a previous post are some examples (listed below my signature)

        Also try,

        http://www.naval-military-press.com/

        Lots of goodies in there.

        Tom

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

        For New Subscribers to this Yahoo Group and to keep others busy while
        it snows!

        Crown Forces books you can download for free ...

        General Regulations and Orders for the Army: Adjutant General's
        Office, 1811

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=UoFUYUkI1EkC&pg=PA221&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
        1812&as_brr=1#PPP7,M1

        Rules and Regulations for the cavalry, 1795

        http://books.google.com/books?id=hUcIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA39&dq=army+officer%
        27s+date:0-1812&as_brr=1#PPP5,M1

        A New and Enlarged Military Dictionary, 1805

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=tOypDj9DoZMC&pg=PT122&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
        1812&as_brr=1#PPT11,M1

        The Royal Military Chronicle, 1811

        http://books.google.com/books?id=uggJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA148-
        IA1&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPP15,M1

        A Treatise on the Eighteen Manouvres. 1805

        http://books.google.com/books?id=TgUHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA90&dq=army+officer%
        27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPP6,M1

        A Narrative of the Campaign of the British Army in Spain, 1809

        http://books.google.com/books?id=5SUKAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-
        PA10&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-1815&as_brr=1#PPA1,M1

        A systematic view of the formation, discipline and economy of armies,
        1804

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=TSgAAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA220&dq=army+officer%27s+date:0-
        1815&as_brr=1#PPR3,M1

        Rules and regulations for the formations, field-exercise, and
        movements, of His Majesty's Forces, 1795

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=dTIBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA29&dq=army+regulation+date:0-
        1815&as_brr=1#PPP9,M1

        Principles and Practice of Naval and Military Courts Martial, 1805

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=vNc0AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA25&dq=army+regulation+date:0-
        1815&as_brr=1#PPR1,M1

        .... .... ....

        Two events posted on another Yahoo Group for your information

        19th WAR OF 1812 in the WEST SYMPOSIUM

        The annual war of 1812 in the West Symposium is scheduled for March
        28, 29, 2009, at Arrow Rock, Missouri, State Historic Site. The
        symposium is hosted by the 1st U. States Infantry, Clemson's Company-
        recreated, and sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural
        Resources.

        Saturday March 28 presentations will be from 8am to 5pm. Sunday March
        29 Presentations will be from 8am to Noon on Sunday.

        Topics accepted may be material culture, campaigns or social issues.
        Topics may be on the War of 1812 in the West, participants,
        regiments, the era of 1810 – 1820, or the War of 1812 in Canada or
        the United States. Presentations are to be 30 to 45 minutes in length
        with 5 to 10 minutes for questions. Six to seven presentations will
        be accepted for Saturday and three for Sunday.

        The War of 1812 in the West Symposium is Open to the Public, no
        registration is required and no fee to attend. Speakers donate their
        efforts to present the Best in War of 1812 presentations. The War of
        1812 in the west Symposium has continuously offered quality
        presentations on the War of 1812 since 1990.

        Please contact David Bennett, Coordinator 19th Annual War of 1812 in
        the West Symposium at ebclemson (at) aol.com or 816-582-0280

        .=.=.=.

        Fort Osage Fall Muster

        The Fort Osage Fall Muster, will be held October 24-25, 2009 at
        Historic
        Fort Osage, near Kansas City, Missouri. Fort Osage is recontructed
        1808
        log Fort, situated on the left bank of the Missouri River, about 25
        miles east of Kansas City, Missouri. All troops will be quartered in
        barracks or blockhouses.

        The Living History event, will portray the Garrison and local militia
        training after the depressing news in September and early October
        1812,of the recent failures of American Arms. There is a local
        connection to the fall of Fort Dearborn, as the commander Captain
        Nathan Heald was a friend of Captain Clemson and the local Sutler's
        wife, was the sister to Mrs. Rebbekah Heald.

        The event will portray an average life of a Garrison soldier,
        including Drill, Court Martial, drill, an soldier's burial, pay call,
        drill, etc.

        Authentic US Militia and regulars, plus civilian roles, etc. are all
        welcomed. For more information or to register, please contact:
        Dave Bennett at ebclemson (at) aol.com

        Yrs.,
        L2

        Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada
        ---------------------------

        --- End forwarded message ---

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Daniel O'Connell <todanieloconnell@...> wrote:

        > I've a friend who would like to know of 1812 period readings for
        > officers (much like Simes and Cuthbertson in Rev War)
        >
        > Are there any period publications anyone can recommend?
        >
        > O'Connell

        > Online Medical Insurance
        > Get free online medical insurance quotes and save more money today.
        > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=tXWdvgIFpTSUD1v4eRgLugAAJ1Dj6j5Z-KCv0_HEqBp6pDMYAAQAAAAFAAAAAPBMGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNQAAAAA=

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
          I believe the King's Press has Major-General
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General> Robert Craufurd's standing
          orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
          administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
          would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
          bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
          one.

          Mark Dickerson

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
            There is a wonderful on line resource which I suspect people may not have come across: the Internet Archives: www.archives.org

            This site is the result of a concerted effort by universities (mostly US,I believe) and other institutions to preserve older books, manulas and so on. The site has a basic search engine - titles, author's names and key word searches all turn up results and what it offers is full text versions of hundreds of texts, in HTML and two other formats. One can also search within any text (using the Cntrl F function.)

            As an example, the Archives hold the complete records of the Wisconsin Historical Society: thousands of pages of correspondence and recollections by key figures from the NorthWest in our period. The Archive also holds texts of a number field manuals for officers, both US and British.
          • biggest_plume
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
              Mark

              "King's Press"?

              Can't seem to find this

              "Drums"

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

              > I believe the King's Press has Major-General
              > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General> Robert Craufurd's standing
              > orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
              > administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
              > would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
              > bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
              > one.
              >

              > Mark Dickerson

            • Iain Burns
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                Try this, Drummie...

                http://www.kingspress.com/inside.html<http://www.kingspress.com/inside.html>

                Aye,
                Iain
                > I believe the King's Press has Major-General
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General>> Robert Craufurd's standing
                > orders. They also have the Mutiny Act, and the King's Regulations for the
                > administration of the Army. While these are quite dry, the latter two
                > would be required reading for any officer in the British Army. And you can
                > bet that every officer of the Light Division was familiar with the first
                > one.
                >

                > Mark Dickerson

              • Mark Dickerson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Trotman book (sp?) in the UK has small pocket sized book of Craufurd's
                  standing orders.

                  Mark

                  From: biggest_plume<mailto:drums1812@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Thank you

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

                    > Trotman book (sp?) in the UK has small pocket sized book of Craufurd's
                    > standing orders.
                    >

                    > Mark

                  • biggest_plume
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009