Okay who's got some spare coin?

  • Terry Lubka
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2009
      The only surviving union jack from the Battle of Trafalgar could fetch
      £15,000 at auction after it was found in a drawer, auctioneers say.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8297418.stm
      <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8297418.stm>

      The thing I find amazing is the size of it. 7ft 4in x 11ft 7in which
      consisted of 31 panels.

      Enjoy!

      Regards,

      Terry

    • saultcitysoo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
        I find it sad that the family would auction this, rather than donate it to a museum. Hopefully, that is where it will end up.

        Sue Too

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
          The sad (and dirty) little secret is that many of these items get better attention and conservation in the hands of a serious sophisticated private collector than in the hands of a museum where it might well end up as just some more 'old stuff'. However if the museum bids at auction they are more likely to get the idea that this is an important item and the family get fair compensation.

          Cheers,

          I find it sad that the family would auction this, rather than donate it to a museum. Hopefully, that is where it will end up.

          Sue Too

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Terry Lubka <tlubka@...> wrote:

          > The only surviving union jack from the Battle of Trafalgar could fetch

          > £15,000 at auction after it was found in a drawer, auctioneers say.

          > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8297418.stm

          > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8297418.stm>

          > The thing I find amazing is the size of it. 7ft 4in x 11ft 7in which

          > consisted of 31 panels.

          > Enjoy!

          > Regards,

          > Terry