Mississinewa report

  • Michael Mathews
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2009
      The weather was kinder than expected and the usual throngs of interested people watched a much smaller than usual Crown Forces take three out of five against the determined American forces, who numbered approximately twice that of the British. At least in terms of infantry. The cavalry operated with whoever was going to win and artillery was evenly matched.

      The American numbers seemed pretty much as usual, perhaps slightly higher in terms of regulars, but the Crown forces found themselves with only two field officers and one(!) sergeant. General Pickles provided us with inspirational words and encouragement as always with Larry Lozon adding some new twists to his narration bit.

      The Rifles (ahem) provided the single largest unit and looked good even getting hacked to pieces by rampant cavalry Saturday afternoon. We died well. ;-) The weather had it's impact on functionality but by and large the crowds were treated to good volleys, booming cannons and vigorous maneuvering by the lights and natives.

      The Americans were commanded by Col. Abolt and were generous and gracious foes in victory or defeat. Mr. Lake was the generous host as always and a fitting and proper amount of revelry ensued at night.

      I'm no doubt forgetting something or someone important, but suffice it was a good time and we had sunshine for Sunday. I'll see if I can post some pictures later. Going into winter quarters now, see you next year.

      Rifleman Mathews, #21
      3/95th

      "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted..." -- Aesop

    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2009
        Rifleman Mathews

        You did good!

        The only thing to add
        is the dates of future Mississinewa 1812

        Oct 8. 9. 10, 2010
        Oct 7, 8, 9, 2011
        visit www.mississinewa1812.com

        ... and the pipes, fifes and drums of the 42nd (Black Watch) Regt. were a special feature at this year's Mississinewa 1812

        Yrs.,
        L2