Fanshawe 1812 Event

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
      Without a doubt, Fanshawe offers some curious and delightful ground on which
      to stage tactical demonstrations. The four public battles were all unique
      and fun. There is something about watching shakos bob about the cornfields..
      Seeing as the beautifully manicured lawns we often play on are anachronisms,
      I imagine we are experiencing what it must have been like, and that is what
      this re-enactor is all about (um, please ignore my air mattress!!).

      Having Rick Mercer come and experience what we do was also a treat! He's a
      pretty good shot too it seems, having scoured one quarterdeck with a whiff
      of grapeshot, and taking out the US CO with a single musket shot! He's a
      great sport and what airtime we get should only be beneficial to the
      "hobby".

      Thanks to the 1st (Royal Scots) Grenadier Coy and Fanshawe Pioneer Village
      (and volunteers) for running what has become the best way to end the season.
      (I particularly enjoyed the Tavern on Saturday!)

      How can you top this next year?

      Long Live the Republic!

      "Major" Tom

      25th Regiment of Infantry

    • Paul Watson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
        To Tom,

        Well spoken Sir, well spoken in deed!

        In all the years I've been doing re-enacting, I have yet to see an event that the weather was disagreeable, either too hot, too cold or too wet or some permutation of all three.  While the weather sticks out as unpleasant it is the camraderie and love of the hobby that keeps us coming back time and again.
        My great thanks to the Scots Grens for yet another excellent event, proving time and again that good planning will always trump adverse conditions.  Dave Westhouse should be singled out for special commendation for being point man for the Scots and the Village once again and for making the services and schedule flow.
        Huzzah!!!
        Paul,
        21st US, Treats Company