Fanshaw Special Guest

  • mikedeajansen
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009
      From: Calvin Arnt <americantory@...>
      Date: September 27, 2009 11:41:50 PM EDT (CA)
      To: TheWarof1812@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: 1812AndNow@yahoogroups.com, Authentic1812er@yahoogroups.com, 1812Civilian@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TheWarOf1812] Special Guest at Fanshawe

      Dear List,

      With great pleasure I have the honour to advise you all that there
      will be a special guest at this year's Fanshawe 1812 re-enactment
      Oct. 3,4. Popular Canadian comedian, Rick Mercer of the Mercer Report
      (www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/ or www.rickmercer.com/) will be in
      attendance Saturday and Sunday. This is an initiative I personally
      arranged beginning two years ago thinking it would be a way of
      promoting our time period leading up to the bicentennial. Rick will
      be falling in for the weekend as a guest of our unit, 1st Reg't,
      Lincoln Militia, and joining our ranks to hold off an American
      invasion of this proud colony. Rick will be participating in military
      battles, helping our ladies cook in camp, posting guard duty among
      other things. Our desire is that he experiences what it was really
      like to be a militia soldier during the War of 1812. Though most of
      the gags will be shot with our unit, we fully understand that others
      will want to be in on the filming and wherever that is possible we
      will certainly do so. We absolutely will need the input of the
      American forces. We will incorporate others whenever possible. Video
      and still pictures with Rick are completely welcome during his stay
      with us and you may use those photos for promotional purposes if
      you'd like.

      Rick will not be sleeping on site and will exit camp each day. If
      you're wondering his whereabouts, the best would be to stop by our
      camp, 1st Lincoln Militia, and see what's happening there.

      On a related note, if anyone has an extra stovetop shako for Rick to
      use, we could use one as back up in case the one we have won't fit.
      Rick's head size is:

      hat: 7 3/4 (25" head circumference)

      Look forward to seeing many of you there. It will be a once in a
      lifetime opportunity, provided to you courtesy of the 1st Lincolns.
      Enjoy!

      Calvin Arnt, Captain.
      1st Reg't, Lincoln Militia.
      Capt. James Crooks Light Coy.
      http://www.lincolnmilitia.ca/
    • a10rca
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009
        Rick Mercer is a funny guy.
        Ah... Another film crew making fun of reenactors. We had two sets at Fort Erie who had little regard for the hardwork, research and dollars many participants spend.
        This will certainly raise awareness, in Canada, but as earlier posts have mentioned - beware the film dude with nothing but good intentions.

        From: Calvin Arnt <americantory@...>
        > Date: September 27, 2009 11:41:50 PM EDT (CA)
        > To: TheWarof1812@yahoogroups.com
        > Cc: 1812AndNow@yahoogroups.com, Authentic1812er@yahoogroups.com, 1812Civilian@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TheWarOf1812] Special Guest at Fanshawe
        >

        > Dear List,
        >
        > With great pleasure I have the honour to advise you all that there
        > will be a special guest at this year's Fanshawe 1812 re-enactment
        > Oct. 3,4. Popular Canadian comedian, Rick Mercer of the Mercer Report
        > (www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/ or www.rickmercer.com/) will be in
        > attendance Saturday and Sunday. This is an initiative I personally
        > arranged beginning two years ago thinking it would be a way of
        > promoting our time period leading up to the bicentennial. Rick will
        > be falling in for the weekend as a guest of our unit, 1st Reg't,
        > Lincoln Militia, and joining our ranks to hold off an American
        > invasion of this proud colony. Rick will be participating in military
        > battles, helping our ladies cook in camp, posting guard duty among
        > other things. Our desire is that he experiences what it was really
        > like to be a militia soldier during the War of 1812. Though most of
        > the gags will be shot with our unit, we fully understand that others
        > will want to be in on the filming and wherever that is possible we
        > will certainly do so. We absolutely will need the input of the
        > American forces. We will incorporate others whenever possible. Video
        > and still pictures with Rick are completely welcome during his stay
        > with us and you may use those photos for promotional purposes if
        > you'd like.
        >
        > Rick will not be sleeping on site and will exit camp each day. If
        > you're wondering his whereabouts, the best would be to stop by our
        > camp, 1st Lincoln Militia, and see what's happening there.
        >
        > On a related note, if anyone has an extra stovetop shako for Rick to
        > use, we could use one as back up in case the one we have won't fit.
        > Rick's head size is:
        >
        > hat: 7 3/4 (25" head circumference)
        >
        > Look forward to seeing many of you there. It will be a once in a
        > lifetime opportunity, provided to you courtesy of the 1st Lincolns.
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > Calvin Arnt, Captain.
        > 1st Reg't, Lincoln Militia.
        > Capt. James Crooks Light Coy.
        > http://www.lincolnmilitia.ca/

      • MasterAtArms
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
          I am reminded of an old adage that recently seems to be much appreciated among modern celebrities:

          "ANY publicity is GOOD publicity!"

          Frankly, I welcome pretty much any opportunity to spread awareness of our activities, whether presented seriously or humourously, as long as it does not portray us in a specifically unfavourable light. Mercer has appeal to a wider and younger audience, just the demographic that might include exactly the type of recruits ALL our units sorely need to guarantee we will still have an 1812 community in ten years' time.

          That's MY tuppence worth...

          Dale

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "a10rca" <jhill@...> wrote:

          > Rick Mercer is a funny guy.
          > Ah... Another film crew making fun of reenactors. We had two sets at Fort Erie who had little regard for the hardwork, research and dollars many participants spend.
          > This will certainly raise awareness, in Canada, but as earlier posts have mentioned - beware the film dude with nothing but good intentions.
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
            Also please be reminded that sometimes exposure kills!

            I mentioned this yesterday to a member of the group that has invited them and now will mention it here. First off...I like Rick Mercer's show....yes, I have seen it blah blah blah...

            Rick Mercer (and most of the CBC comics) make a sport out of making fun of Americans. In fact Rick Mercer had a show titled, "Talking to Americans" but could be correctly titled, "Making fun of Americans". I am worried that this could happen out Fanshawe. Will he try to make our American re-enactors look stupid? Does he know that the majority of the re-enactor (or maybe all for that matter) are Canadian?

            We are all here to celebrate and commoemorate history. Was anyone the bad guys? Yup all of us were! Were there any heroes? Yup all of them who fought for the honor/honour of their country.

            So if the show makes re-enactors look foolish, crazy, wacky...whatever...people say that about us anyway...if it makes history and those of REALLY fought look foolish...I have a problem with that.

            I think the benchmark in this is to take whatever he is going to do and to think of him in a modern day soldiers uniform as well. If whatever he is doing makes you cringe and seems disrespectful, it should for 1812 as well.

            Anyway, that is my take on it.

            Kevin

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            I am reminded of an old adage that recently seems to be much appreciated among modern celebrities:

            "ANY publicity is GOOD publicity!"

            .

          • Rachel Coman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
            • HAROLD DENNISON
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
                Gentlemen,

                With all due respect......relax!
                As the organizers of this event, you may rest assured that we are quite well aware of who Rick Mercer is, what he does and above all.....what his intentions are for this weekend. His crew will NOT and I repeat NOT have free reign to do as they please. They have been read the riot act and are well informed that they must be as inconspicuous as possible. They will not be allowed to disrupt our weekend.
                These people are very excited about what we do and the upcoming bicentennial and the only lampooning they will be doing will be Rick himself.
                I look forward to seeing all of you this weekend. It's looking once again to be an incredible event.

                Hal Dennison
                1-800-385-9630
                www.JustDreamLife.com

                I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Having seen Mercer in action, as Hal says, the biggest goof'll be Rick
                  himself. Every man jack of the re-enactors will come off as the polished
                  and experienced fellows that they are while Rick'll make a dog's
                  breakfast of the things that you do easily. My money for the last shot
                  is a group of re-eanactors sitting around a campfire hoisting a tankard
                  of grog.

                  Enjoy yourselves; you can't buy this sort profile.

                  Ian

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                    I had the pleasure of filming the Rick Mercer Toronto Zoo episode last year. The whole team are professional and fun. I actually suggested that they film at an 1812 re-enactment this Fall so I am very pleased they followed through. Look forward to it folks, it'll be a good one ! See you there .

                    Ollie Claffey, 22nd US.

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...> wrote:

                    > Having seen Mercer in action, as Hal says, the biggest goof'll be Rick
                    > himself. Every man jack of the re-enactors will come off as the polished
                    > and experienced fellows that they are while Rick'll make a dog's
                    > breakfast of the things that you do easily. My money for the last shot
                    > is a group of re-eanactors sitting around a campfire hoisting a tankard
                    > of grog.
                    >
                    > Enjoy yourselves; you can't buy this sort profile.
                    >
                    > Ian

                  • donna durnford
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
                      I hope Rick is not sugar...Bring your dry clothes Ricky it could be wet.