Campaign weekend at Fanshawe

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 25, 2009
      Greetings all, I spoke with several of you at length about a night on
      campaign at Fanshawe to give people a sense of what it would be like to
      spend the night away from camp totally immersed.

      Regretfully, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to cancel it for
      Fanshawe.

      Fanshawe was (and still is) very supportive of the idea but I have to be
      onsite on Friday so it won't be possible for us to do it there.

      I still plan on doing a campaign night but it will have to wait until the
      2010 season. Perhaps if the organizers of Longwoods would be gracious
      enough we could do it there. (and if it catches on we can do it at other
      events)

      Much thanks to my unit, the 89th, for being so excited about it, as well as
      members of the 41st and 49th who thought it was also a cool idea. It was
      nice to see that the dozen I was allowed to take filled up so rapidly!
      Thanks to Dave Westhouse for getting the Fanshawe folks so excited about
      it.It kinda sucks that it isn't going to work out this year.

      I will see many of you Friday at Fanshawe!

      Kevin

      89th

    • James
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all, I spoke with several of you at length about a night on
        > campaign at Fanshawe to give people a sense of what it would be like to
        > spend the night away from camp totally immersed.

        Kevin:

        I'm sure many list members are curious. What exactly does a "night on campaign" consist of?

        Jim Yaworsky
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
          Well the plan was to get to the site on Friday with enough time to set up
          tents before dark. The site was going to give us a map of how to get to the
          site (close to where the encampment is but not too close)

          Once there we would use the deadfall in the area to make whatever shelter we
          could, sleep out under the stars or in my case set up the "Captain's tent"
          which is sort of a canvas hovel where I can at least have the weather off of
          my face. (legs maybe not?)

          Anyway.

          All of our stuff was to be carried in our packs we would carry our days food
          in our haversack, post pickets Friday night, and on Saturday I was going to
          teach some bushcraft skills, and make our way back to the Crown forces line
          for the battle (or fight our way back if we could have fit it into the
          battle scenario). Then everyone goes back to their tents Saturday night.

          A dozen is a great number to do it with. While it was going to siphon many
          of the 89th it wasn't going to be that difficult on the other units that had
          a couple interested.

          I am up to do it at another event if the rest are up for it!

          KW

          _____

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
            Hi Kevin!

            I should mention too that a number of the 25th expressed an interest in this
            type of re-enacting. Maybe, some day, we could do a weekend campaign this
            way..

            I'm not sure I could function well without my bed, though.

            Long Live the Republic!

            "Major" Tom

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
              Fanshawe Pioneer Village - wouldn't the soldiers be given billets if they were near a village? Wouldn't an "authentic campaign experience" involve sleeping in a barn, therefore? Would Fanshawe let us do that?

              Chris McKay

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kevin!
              >

              > I should mention too that a number of the 25th expressed an interest in this
              > type of re-enacting. Maybe, some day, we could do a weekend campaign this
              > way..
              >

              > I'm not sure I could function well without my bed, though.
              >

              > Long Live the Republic!
              >

              > "Major" Tom
              >

              > _____

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
                They may have slept in billets.maybe?

                Americans slept out in fields where towns were nearby so why would it be so
                different for Brits to do it? Again, just because the village IS there
                doesn't mean we can't pretend it isn't.

                An authentic campaign experience would involve sleeping in a barn! I would
                love to find a place that would let us. If you are interested in sleeping
                in the barn/ a barn at Fanshawe talk to Dave and see if you can! All you
                can do is ask, they may surprise you and say yes!

                KW

                _____

                Subject: 1812 Re: Campaign weekend at Fanshawe

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
                  Exactly who I was thinking of Tom if we ever get a chance to do something
                  like that with BOTH sides!!!

                  As for tripping away like that, you can leave that to your Captain!

                  KW

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
                    Interesting thread folks:
                    As for Brits doing as the US forces did on campaign, I would have to read up on the latter. However, we do have lots of written evidence of what the British forces did in various different situations.
                    1. At Meigs, for example, they all encamped in the woods surrounding the fort - without tents, and covered by bivouacs (brush shelters, occasionally supplemented by coats). It rained a lot. (Richardson et al.)
                    2. En route from Kingston to York, some detachments of the 41st were given a few days' rations, and tentage. (Record on file)
                    3. After the disastrous Fall of 1813, at the Head of the Lake the soldiers slept in barns or in the open fields, basically fending for themselves. They burned the barnboards, fence posts and bars, cut down entire orchards for firewood. Stole livestock, and crops, all of which really ticked off the locals. (Viz: War loss claims)
                    Officers occasionally commandeered houses for billets, though not all were so fortunate. (Viz: Merritt's letters after Stoney Creek). The village of Coote's Paradise (Dundas) had its population more than doubled after Stoney Creek with whole dragoon companies seeking shelter.
                    The odd local church was also used at different times for a hospital, and barracks (Viz: Saltfleet) (Viz: Ferguson's record)
                    In my opinion, the exercise offered by Kevin would be interesting, but we should avoid making it into a Boy Scouts' camping expedition. For a true campaign experience at least one of the listed options could be tried.
                    No. 3 would be my choice, but I don't know how many of us would want to break the law. Wagons horses and oxen were also taken, under warrant, for the purposes of the army. Maybe we could swipe a few pick-up trucks to make it quite realistic.
                    Offered, of course, with tongue in cheek.
                    Ray Hobbs, Maj.
                    AdC to Col Williams (who is not responsible for the contents of this missive.)

                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 26, 2009
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
                      [snip] lots of written evidence of what the British forces did in various different situations.
                      > 1. At Meigs, for example, they all encamped in the woods surrounding the fort - without tents, and covered by bivouacs (brush shelters, occasionally supplemented by coats). It rained a lot. (Richardson et al.)

                      To add to this, of course, camping out in the woods was basically the only option at Meigs, as there was little civilian presence in the area at the time. The Americans in the fort, who had been there for a while, weren't enjoying much better accommodations... So depending on where you are, would indicate what realistic options are.

                      On the retreat up the Thames, 41st mainly were able to bed down in farmers' barns, which was handy because it rained a lot. They even spent one day of heavy rain on "r & r" in a barn along the south shore of Lake St. Clair.

                      I'm not sure what they did in the stretch from Moraviantown to Burford, which, other than Ward's and Delaware, was still largely unsettled - the "Long Woods"... Perhaps they were running, until exhausted: then, flop down by the "road" for a quick rest, then, up and start running again... ;>)

                      [snip]
                      > The odd local church was also used at different times for a hospital, and barracks (Viz: Saltfleet) (Viz: Ferguson's record)

                      St. John's Church in Sandwich was burned down by Kentuckians after they used it to stable their horses in. Presumably, because the Brits had earlier been using it, so they considered it no longer "sacred" ground?

                      Jim Yaworsky
                      41st
                    • petemonahan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 27, 2009
                        Mr Windsor, sir

                        A capital idea! I know the lads would rather spend an exciting night under the wide open skies than in those nasty dry old tents. And since they'll undoubtedly shiver themselves awake by 5:00 am, they'll have extra time to spit and polish so as to outshine the Drums on morning parade! Looking forward to it, sir!

                        Sgt Major Monahan
                      • westhouse03
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                          Ah...no they wouldn't.

                          The experience is to ignore all items around you including that nice village that would be oh so close by. The experience is in that you can camp out in the wild for as much as it can be these days in rural Ontario.

                          Fanshawe does not allow occupation of buildings for overnight use, sorry, and that is not what Kevin is after.

                          Dave.

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "shayna121" <PrivateCannon@...> wrote:

                          > Fanshawe Pioneer Village - wouldn't the soldiers be given billets if they were near a village? Wouldn't an "authentic campaign experience" involve sleeping in a barn, therefore? Would Fanshawe let us do that?
                          >
                          > Chris McKay
                          >
                          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Kevin!
                          > >

                          > > I should mention too that a number of the 25th expressed an interest in this
                          > > type of re-enacting. Maybe, some day, we could do a weekend campaign this
                          > > way..
                          > >

                          > > I'm not sure I could function well without my bed, though.
                          > >

                          > > Long Live the Republic!
                          > >

                          > > "Major" Tom
                          > >

                          > > _____

                        • Mark Dickerson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                            This is exactly the kind of event that the Royal Scots looked into a couple
                            of years ago. We envisioned a 'campaign' weekend where each person would
                            bring in what they could carry. Once the clock started on Friday night, the
                            game was on until Late Saturday evening.

                            The EM Warwick conservation area is a 40 acre site within the LTVCA. It
                            borders Lake Erie and the entire site can be rented exclusively for an
                            entire week end so you don't have to worry about bumping into the public.
                            It has ravines, swamp, a creek, old growth forest, observation tower, a pond
                            and beachfront. The problem was we couldn't find a week end in the season
                            to host another event without conflicting with somebody else and taking
                            their event away. There was also a depressing lack of interest when it was
                            brought up among the hobby.

                            Mark Dickerson

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                              Let's find a weekend... I'm in.

                              Craig Williams
                              On 28-Sep-09, at 9:36 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

                              > This is exactly the kind of event that the Royal Scots looked into
                              > a couple
                              > of years ago. We envisioned a 'campaign' weekend where each person
                              > would
                              > bring in what they could carry. Once the clock started on Friday
                              > night, the
                              > game was on until Late Saturday evening.
                              >
                              > The EM Warwick conservation area is a 40 acre site within the
                              > LTVCA. It
                              > borders Lake Erie and the entire site can be rented exclusively for an
                              > entire week end so you don't have to worry about bumping into the
                              > public.
                              > It has ravines, swamp, a creek, old growth forest, observation
                              > tower, a pond
                              > and beachfront. The problem was we couldn't find a week end in the
                              > season
                              > to host another event without conflicting with somebody else and
                              > taking
                              > their event away. There was also a depressing lack of interest when
                              > it was
                              > brought up among the hobby.
                              >
                              > Mark Dickerson

                            • ronpontiac
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
                                Let's find a weekend... I'm in.

                                Sir Gordon Drummond to Sir George Prevost, November 5, 1814:

                                "...the lateness of the season renders it highly inexpedient to expose troops to its severity, wholly unprovided as they are wiht camp equipage, and totally stript of all cover as is the country in which they would have to act."

                                Ron
                              • ANDREW BATEMAN
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                                  I've done that kind of thing in Civil War a couple of times and it's tremendous fun.  Pencil me in.

                                  Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

                                  Exactly who I was thinking of Tom if we ever get a chance to do something
                                  like that with BOTH sides!!!

                                  As for tripping away like that, you can leave that to your Captain!

                                  KW

                                  ------------------------------------

                                     War of 1812 Living History:
                                  A wide-ranging information exchange
                                  for all participants and supporters

                                     Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                                     American Forces Unit Listing
                                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                  WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

                                • westhouse03

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
                                      Some years ago Rev War re-enactors in the Ottawa area did a dawn-to-dusk scheme in a wooded area beside the Ottawa River. The participants were from various units, so one team wore green armbands and the other wore blue. The scheme was a version of 'capture the flag'. Team A went deep into the woods from the start point, planted the flag, and set up their defensive positions. Team B waited 10 minutes, then began from the start line to penetrate the woods in search of the flag. Each scheme lasted a total of 45 minutes. On contact, men fired at one another, calling the name of the target (or an identifying mark, e.g. "Sergeant behind the stump!", and it was left to the guy receiving the fire to determine if he had been hit or not. On being hit, the victim went down and let the action go past, then clubbed his musket and walked out to the start line. He knew a new scheme would start soon. At the 45-minute mark both teams walked out and began again, reversing the roles. Several teams managed to penetrate, find the flag, and "kill" enough defenders to make it out to the start line before the 45 minutes were up. A larger area could call for longer time frame. But as a scheme it worked very well---and was a helluva lot of fun as well as a learning experience (hint: motion is what gives you away, not uniform colour).

                                      Vic Suthren
                                      Naval Establishment
                                      ex-musketman, King's Rangers