RE: LEST WE FORGET Our War of 1812 Veterans

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009
      Actually John, I think they were from WNED, which is a US PBS Station...

      Kevin

      89th

      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

      So if the CBC isn't doing a documentary, who were the film crew I almost
      shot at Ft. Erie working for? These three morons insisted on trying to film
      a targets-eye view of a volley and/or independent fire on Saturday...

      .

    • ronpontiac
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James" <yawors1@...> wrote:

        "Well... a mystery, all right, because that certainly seems like something a CBC crew would definitely want to do...."his

        This is not exclusive to CBC. I used to organize big reenanctments at Fort Wellington in the 80's. One time a CTV news crew--lovely hostess and cameraman, wandered onto the field of battle. One of my staff asked them politely to remove themselves to the press area that we had set up and was told by the newswoman to "F Off." I had to go out and tell the cameraman that he had a choice of what to do with the camera when he left the field-- he could leave with it on his shoulder or with it firmly inserted--it made no difference to me. They went to the press area and that evening we got surprisingly good possitive coverage of our event.

        The crew at Fort Erie might have been from the Buffalo PBS station. These folks are working on a major War of 1812 documentary.

        Ron
      • militaryheritage
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009
          John,

          That was indeed PBS out of Buffalo. In CBC's Canada A People's History a decade ago, they did not film at reenactments for that very reason. However they did use hundreds of reenactors in a controlled filming environment.

          I personally would love to see a series beyond the usual this battle, that battle and then the war ended chronology format. Rather I would love to see thematic War of 1812 episodes like the "The Fur Trade", "The Maritimes", "First Nations" and so on. Topics like privateering, life as a prisoner of war, and so on could be explored.

          The best way to expose the masses to the War of 1812 is still through television. This will then inspire people to learn more by going to museum, attending an event, and accessing content on the web.

          I go into further detail on warof1812.ca on possible ways on how to then release this content to museums, etc. so multimedia elements can be added to museum exhibits. The problem with Canada A People's History is its content didn't have the proper release documents from the actors and corporate fees for content to museums was WAY too high. Lots of material was left on the floor of the editing room (like Brock's charge up Queenston) and never to be seen by anyone.

          With a little coordination by stakeholders, themed CBC episodes could have an accompanying travelling exhibit made for it that is provided to various museum. So, for example, "War in the West: the Fur Trade" could then be sent to museums in Western Canada, etc.

          BUT for something like this to fly you need buy in from the CBC and Canadian Heritage. That is what this letter writing campaign is about. It takes two years to produce something like this and 2010 is just around the corner.

          So PLEASE EVERYONE SEND A MESSAGE. IT IS FREE!!!!!

          Robert
        • militaryheritage
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009
            Ron,

            Funny. Dealing with a CBC staffer up high in the organization and he said the absolute opposite! I heard the NFB was looking at something but was told the CBC documentary section isn't involved. Very strange. Maybe the CBC is just saying they will air what the NFB produces. Correct me if I am wrong but NFB productions have a average budget of 100K. That will get you a Power Point presentation with public domain music and a talking head. The PBS documentary is in the millions.

            I really hope my source is wrong. The "risk" tone of inaction was also recommended to me because I was told suggestions tend to get ignored. The example given to me was the aggressive and successful lobbying efforts of WW2 Veteran groups. Talk to anyone at the Canadian War Museum and they will tell you about the power of focused and energetic lobbying by these parties.

            That said, you are right that ANY letter to the CBC and the minister for Canadian Heritage showing support for the commemoration of the War of 1812 will have an impact.

            Robert

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@> wrote:
            > "I am writing because I just found out CBC has ZERO plans of doing a War of 1812 documentary for the 200th anniversary. PBS in the US will be telling their country's story, but the sacrifice of Canada's 1812 veterans will not be remembered?"
            >

            > Actually, both the NFB and CBC will be looking at this whole thing in the next several weeks. Petitions are usually counter productive if they have a "shame on you" tone. On the other hand, Canadians expressing an interest in seeing the War of 1812 included in the agenda of the CBC or NFB can be very helpful.
            >
            > Ron

          • militaryheritage
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 17, 2009
              Ron, Upon reflection I toned down the letter. Thank you for your always wise imput. It reads thus:

              Dear Minister Moore and CBC President Mr Lacroix,
              I am writing to voice my support for the CBC commemorating the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 by producing a documentary series or docu-drama. The United States, through the History Channel and the Public Broadcasting Service(PBS) are producing their country's perspective on the war. Canada needs to express our view of this important Canadian Heritage event.
              With heroes like Sir Isaac Brock, Charles Michel de Salaberry, Laura Secord, and Tecumseh, the War of 1812 has become a great source of patriotic pride for all Canadians. Indeed, the federal Conservative Party's 2008 election platform noted this when the commemoration of the War of 1812's bicentennial was committed to. More specifically, the present government said it will 'ensure that' the War of 1812 achieves the 'national recognition' it deserves. National recognition is easily achieved by a CBC documentary. Considering the huge ratings success of 'Canada A People's History' a decade ago, one would think `Canada coming together to fight an invasion' would be a docu-drama that would achieve a similar success and touch the hearts of all Canadians. Opportunities for partnerships with museums, Parks Canada, and the BBC would ensure the documentary would live on in classrooms and museum displays for a generation.
              The production 'Canada A People's History' showed that the story of our people can be engaging and entertaining. I hope you both will see this as an opportunity to tap into a great source of national pride.
              Yours truly,
              Your name.
              Your Postal Code or City,Province

              Robert

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...> wrote:

              > Ron,
              >
              > Funny. Dealing with a CBC staffer up high in the organization and he said the absolute opposite! I heard the NFB was looking at something but was told the CBC documentary section isn't involved. Very strange. Maybe the CBC is just saying they will air what the NFB produces. Correct me if I am wrong but NFB productions have a average budget of 100K. That will get you a Power Point presentation with public domain music and a talking head. The PBS documentary is in the millions.
              >
              > I really hope my source is wrong. The "risk" tone of inaction was also recommended to me because I was told suggestions tend to get ignored. The example given to me was the aggressive and successful lobbying efforts of WW2 Veteran groups. Talk to anyone at the Canadian War Museum and they will tell you about the power of focused and energetic lobbying by these parties.
              >
              > That said, you are right that ANY letter to the CBC and the minister for Canadian Heritage showing support for the commemoration of the War of 1812 will have an impact.
              >

              > Robert
              >

              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@> wrote:
              > > "I am writing because I just found out CBC has ZERO plans of doing a War of 1812 documentary for the 200th anniversary. PBS in the US will be telling their country's story, but the sacrifice of Canada's 1812 veterans will not be remembered?"
              > >

              > > Actually, both the NFB and CBC will be looking at this whole thing in the next several weeks. Petitions are usually counter productive if they have a "shame on you" tone. On the other hand, Canadians expressing an interest in seeing the War of 1812 included in the agenda of the CBC or NFB can be very helpful.
              > >
              > > Ron

            • militaryheritage
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                Ron,

                Time yesterday didn't allow me to complete my message (my son was coming off the school bus). I just wanted to point out an apparent contridiction in your two messages on the subject. One you recommend a softer tone to requests for action but in recounting your experience in dealing with the Media, the polite way was ignored and your aggressive action with the cameraman got results. What would chat boards be if you don't point out flaws in other people's arguments.

                Then again, what do I know? I work seven days a week at or below minimum wage and live in a 900 sq. ft. bungalow.... but I'm happy and still passionate about Canada's heritage.

                Since you were my first boss, I was quite nervous in pointing out this apparant contridiction. After 26 years I am still willing to jump on a hand grenade for you man.

                Robert

                http://www.warof1812.ca

> [...]
                > >

                > > Robert
                > >

                > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@> wrote:
                > > > "I am writing because I just found out CBC has ZERO plans of doing a War of 1812 documentary for the 200th anniversary. PBS in the US will be telling their country's story, but the sacrifice of Canada's 1812 veterans will not be remembered?"
                > > >

                > > > Actually, both the NFB and CBC will be looking at this whole thing in the next several weeks. Petitions are usually counter productive if they have a "shame on you" tone. On the other hand, Canadians expressing an interest in seeing the War of 1812 included in the agenda of the CBC or NFB can be very helpful.

              • militaryheritage
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                  Mark,

                  I have to say, a Battle of the Thames documentary is a great idea because it is an excellent stand-alone story in the war. The conflict between Tecumseh and Procter becomes an living analogy of the saying "United We Stand, Divided We Fall." (a Good working title?)

                  It is also a good example of how 1812 enthusiasts need to work together to bring the War of 1812 bicentennial to the foreground. My letter writing attempt is one way. I should point out this approach is different from a petition. Petitions get little attention. However individual correspondence is gets more "air play". In addition if you are a member of the Conservative party please mention it in your correspondence to the Federal minister. That is very powerful and almost guarantees a response. The same goes for writing the Provincial Government if you are a Liberal party member. It is the nature of the beast and I was advised by political "gatekeepers" of two separate parties that this "filtration system" exists.

                  I guess I will have to go out and join all parties... though my heart lies with the Rhinos.

                  Robert

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

                  > I have submitted a budget to the Ontario Government to do a documentary of
                  > the Battle of the Thames, Proctor's retreat/ Harrison's advance. But as of
                  > this date, I have not heard anything yet.
                  >

                  > Mark Dickerson

                • ronpontiac
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...> wrote:

                    "One you recommend a softer tone to requests for action but in recounting your experience in dealing with the Media, the polite way was ignored and your aggressive action with the cameraman got results."

                    Well Robert, I appreciate you noticing the apparent contradiction but they are different types of circumstances.

                    The news team in question were approached very politely at first, with the reasons for not having them on the field carefully explained and direction given to the area set aside for the media. When that did not work, a firmer stance had to be taken.

                    People generally get on the defensive if your first line of approach is to attack. Diplomacy will often get the job done. As Roosevelt suggested, "speak softly but carry a big stick."

                    Political representatives ususally support projects that are supported by the electorate. When they receive a number of possitive suggestions on a project that should be undertaken,"we think it would be a great idea to do X, Y or Z," and they see that a majority of constituents support such a project they will usually add their advocacy to that project and look for ways of getting it done. When a person receives things that start off with a negative slant like "why aren't you people doing something," the normal human reaction is to look for reasons why you are not doing it.

                    Having said all of this, governments on a local, provincial or national level usually think of things in terms of financial or other societal benefits. The museum/heritage community has been continously shooting themselves in their collective feet in the past by arguing that "this is important because it is important." When you start to argue that "this is import because it will increase awareness resulting in more heritage tourism that will result in sustainable heritage sites and jobs" then this sort of thing gets more attention. A film that will simply commemorate something significant is not the same as a film that will increase awareness among Canadians while building a sense of pride, identity and unity while stimulating an interest in exploring our special places.

                    Ron
                  • militaryheritage
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                      Ron,

                      Well said. I blame my Irish passion for sending me "into the breach one more time". Luckily the Scot in me keeps a lawyer ready if I goof up.

                      I found out my family was thrown out of Scotland by the Campbells in the late 17th century then starved out of Ireland in the 1840s. So I am just waiting to be kicked out of this country. It's a family tradition.

                      Robert

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@> wrote:
                      >

                      > "One you recommend a softer tone to requests for action but in recounting your experience in dealing with the Media, the polite way was ignored and your aggressive action with the cameraman got results."
                      >
                      > Well Robert, I appreciate you noticing the apparent contradiction but they are different types of circumstances.
                      >
                      > The news team in question were approached very politely at first, with the reasons for not having them on the field carefully explained and direction given to the area set aside for the media. When that did not work, a firmer stance had to be taken.
                      >
                      > People generally get on the defensive if your first line of approach is to attack. Diplomacy will often get the job done. As Roosevelt suggested, "speak softly but carry a big stick."
                      >
                      > Political representatives ususally support projects that are supported by the electorate. When they receive a number of possitive suggestions on a project that should be undertaken,"we think it would be a great idea to do X, Y or Z," and they see that a majority of constituents support such a project they will usually add their advocacy to that project and look for ways of getting it done. When a person receives things that start off with a negative slant like "why aren't you people doing something," the normal human reaction is to look for reasons why you are not doing it.
                      >
                      > Having said all of this, governments on a local, provincial or national level usually think of things in terms of financial or other societal benefits. The museum/heritage community has been continously shooting themselves in their collective feet in the past by arguing that "this is important because it is important." When you start to argue that "this is import because it will increase awareness resulting in more heritage tourism that will result in sustainable heritage sites and jobs" then this sort of thing gets more attention. A film that will simply commemorate something significant is not the same as a film that will increase awareness among Canadians while building a sense of pride, identity and unity while stimulating an interest in exploring our special places.
                      >
                      > Ron

                    • Mark Dickerson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                        That big stick was going to be used against Canada.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                          Dear 1812 file-mates,

                          Thank you so much for sending in your letters to the CBC and Canadian Heritage. Stats for the clicks on the 'send message link' are GREAT! Since over about a thousand people visit the daily I am hoping for 1% will act (a lofty goal for web stats).

                          Obviously there are a lot of "Do-ers" on this list. Actions speak louder than words and all that. Please if you have not already done so, please keep those messages coming. It is great to see people work together to try a form a 'Beach Head' in the minds of Canadians for commemorating the War of 1812.

                          Your friend,

                          Robert

                          http://www.warof1812.ca/

                        • KILTONE@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                            Sirs,
                            ????????? Considering how the US "documentaries" about the American Revolution turned out you may want to do everything humanly possible to get a Canadian version of the 1812 War together. Otherwise after viewing it Canada may invade itself or surrender on principle. I know the American versions of the Revolution had a few ummm bits of poetic license and propaganda that had the viewers ready to lynch the Crown forces at reenactments. Even when we assisted with making the documentaries the magic of editing had what looked pretty good when in production look like a confession to war crimes by the Crown.

                            Cheers
                            Michael
                            Vth Regt

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 18, 2009
                              Kevin is correct, the film crew who wanted to be shot was the PBS crew.
                              Another crew, of Canucks, was filming little vignettes of you folks ranging from cute, to silly, to potentially offensive. This involved Blackberries, Tim Horton's coffee, 21st century gender roles, misfiring muskets and some decent, nice family stuff; if you were involved you may know what I am talking about. I didn't know what they were doing until I saw the results. AND that is the moral of the story and all the comments I have read. Even the best of intentions can produce some bizarre results.
                              Jim