Backus Mill Event

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
      Dear List

      On behalf of the 41st Regiment of Foot, I would like to extend our congratulations and appreciation to the staff and volunteers of the Backus Conservation Area, Larry Hanna and the Norfolk Militia, Richard Feltoe for his battle scenarios and everyone else who commits, sacrifices and gives of themselves to create such a wonderful weekend.

      The site was beautiful and accomodating, the Saturday night dinner was incredible, the battles were active and stirring affairs and the friendships renewed were delightful.

      Some photos can be found at www.fortyfirst.org

      Our appreciation to Catherine Lloyd, one of our new followers who took photos on our behalf this weekend.

      Truly, I remain,

      Your most humble and obedient Servant,

      Tom Fournier, Captain
      Officer Commanding, 41st Regiment
    • biggest_plume
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
        The Drums second these sentiments and extend a heartfelt thanks to all who organized the wonderful weekend

        Drums
        aka The "Watermelon Man"

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tom4141fournier" <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

        > Dear List
        >
        > On behalf of the 41st Regiment of Foot, I would like to extend our congratulations and appreciation to the staff and volunteers of the Backus Conservation Area, Larry Hanna and the Norfolk Militia, Richard Feltoe for his battle scenarios and everyone else who commits, sacrifices and gives of themselves to create such a wonderful weekend.
        >
        > The site was beautiful and accomodating, the Saturday night dinner was incredible, the battles were active and stirring affairs and the friendships renewed were delightful.
        >
        > Some photos can be found at www.fortyfirst.org
        >
        > Our appreciation to Catherine Lloyd, one of our new followers who took photos on our behalf this weekend.
        >
        > Truly, I remain,
        >
        > Your most humble and obedient Servant,
        >
        > Tom Fournier, Captain
        > Officer Commanding, 41st Regiment

      • Tom Hurlbut
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
          Hello all!

          On behalf of MacLachlan's Company, 25th Regiment of Infantry, I wish to
          express our appreciation for the dedication and hard work by the volunteers
          and staff of Backus Conservation Area and the historic village for a simply
          outstanding event with all the elements of which I can conceive to make it
          the success that it was. Our unit debuted at Backus in 2001 and so this
          place is very special to us.

          I would also like to personally thank those other units who made up the
          brigade of the Army of the Republic that I had the honour to command,
          Henderson's Company of the 22nd Regiment, the Light Company of the 16th
          regiment (who just love to wade through hip deep water.. amazing!), the
          Incorporated Militia of "Upper Connecticut" (IMUC who turned coat), an
          amalgamated company of Brooks' and Northern detachments of United States
          Marines, and a light company of green jacketed volunteers who remain unnamed
          (although they bear a striking resemblance to the Glengarry Fencibles).
          These soldiers performed at an incredible level and deserve all the rewards
          that a grateful nation can provide. Mr. President?

          Thanks too to the myriad artillerists who ensured at least one flank was
          secure from those pesky Royal Scots!!

          I would like to thank Robin DeCloet for allowing us to play on her site,
          Larry Hannah for ensuring that we had our usual secluded camp (so I could
          sing out loudly at night and not get strung up!), Richard Feltoe for always
          devising some hugely complex scenario for me to try to remember (you show
          great faith in me, my ego loves you!), James Braund, the re-enactors'
          perfect ambassador whose good nature and desire to accommodate ensures we
          are always welcomed here and, most importantly, Ken Braund for designing and
          constructing what must surely have been the back house for the Presidential
          Mansion during the War, a gargantuan (but portable!) "Seat of ease" with
          hooks for cloaks and lanterns, and room to move for even a man of my girth!
          Huzzah!!

          Thank you Brigadier Twist for "bringing" and leading the always impressive
          Crown Forces. (Pray Sir, what did you mean when you said you wished to hang
          my horns and tail above your fireplace when you were standing over my "dead"
          body?).

          Thanks to the rapidly improving 19th Light Dragoons, who are fast teaching
          us all about the merits and difficulties of military horse.

          Thanks to the Crown Forces Drums whose music inspires armies on both sides
          of the field.

          I know an event of this scope involves many people and I'm certain I have
          missed several (hundreds..). Please accept my profound thanks for making
          this event one of the best I have attended in my re-enacting experience.

          "Major" Tom

        • spencersmerc
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
            A somewhat belated, but nonetheless heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped put together the Backus event!! I hadn't been to the site before, and I was very impressed with the welcome my crew and I received, and with all of the amenities -- and niceties -- that the site offered us.

            A special thanks to Larry and Linda Hanna for the great spot and for your help! It was very much appreciated. And a very special thanks to Corinne and Kirby Seabourne, who ran my tent solo (duo?) on Saturday -- I couldn't do it without you guys!

            Cheers to all,
            -- Sioux
          • Dave McMeekin
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
              To all who attended Backus Mills

               On behalf of the Glengarry Light Infantry and myself I would like to take this opportunity to thank  Robin DeCloet and the Backus Mills staff and all the site  organizers of this past weekends awesome event.

                 By far the best event this season ,not only weather wise, but also the hospitality and orginization was the best I've witnessed in my 15 years of attendance at this small but beautiful site.
                 To Larry Hannah and all the Norfolk members I wish to extend my personal  thank you for what must have been endless hours of hard work in the organization of your event and for making all who attended feeling most appretiated and overwhelmed with your generous hospitality.
                What a great job Norfolk members.  You are all to be commmended for an outstanding effort on your behalf.
                 I would also like to take this opportunity to personally thank Richard Feltoe for   countless hours of battle tactical planning for are safety of all four battle plans this past weekend.
               Way to show us all what the battles can be with great planning and imagination.
                 Very very well done job Richard !
                It has been years since the Glengarry members came off the battle field with empty cartridge boxes and with so much excitment in their conversation after a battle tactical.
                I told my crew that this is what the battles use to be like years ago.
                It was really great that we had the time and opportunity to display and ues are tactical capabilities on the field in every scenario. We as a Unit even had the opportunity to use are dead guy recycling programm which we have never been able to use before simply becuase of the time duration of the battles at the most other events this year.
                 Hopefully we as a hobby can reflect on the Backus event and realize that battles need to last longer than 15 to 20 min and can be kept safe and interesting for the public and allow all members of the hobby to leave on Sundays with a feeling of satisfaction and the realization that it was well worth the drive and effort to attend the event.
                 The fact that every battle went almost as planned and safety was respected by all Units in both armies is a really testimony to the planners,orginizati on,and leading cababilities of all commanders on the field.
                 This past weekend we've showen that even on small confined battle fields we are more than capable of putting on  safe,mobile and exciting battles for are awe struck public

                While talking to many of the public afterwords their statements where  of total amazement and even public that were making a return visit to the site exclaimed that it was so much better than previous years and would by all means be returning  next year.

              Isn't that what it's really all about. Keeping the Canadian public aware of are history and heritage!

                Great job done by all Units on both sides.

               Thanks for a awesome weekend to one and all!

              Captain McMeekin
              Glengarry Light Infantry

              The Drums second these sentiments and extend a heartfelt thanks to all who organized the wonderful weekend

              Drums
              aka The "Watermelon Man"

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "tom4141fournier" <tom4141fournier@ ...> wrote:

              > Dear List
              >
              > On behalf of the 41st Regiment of Foot, I would like to extend our congratulations and appreciation to the staff and volunteers of the Backus Conservation Area, Larry Hanna and the Norfolk Militia, Richard Feltoe for his battle scenarios and everyone else who commits, sacrifices and gives of themselves to create such a wonderful weekend.
              >
              > The site was beautiful and accomodating, the Saturday night dinner was incredible, the battles were active and stirring affairs and the friendships renewed were delightful.
              >
              > Some photos can be found at www.fortyfirst. org
              >
              > Our appreciation to Catherine Lloyd, one of our new followers who took photos on our behalf this weekend.
              >
              > Truly, I remain,
              >
              > Your most humble and obedient Servant,
              >
              > Tom Fournier, Captain
              > Officer Commanding, 41st Regiment

            • larrylozon
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 18, 2011
                ==============================
                TO:

                "CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA"

                Unit Commanders,

                Please inform your members

                ==============================
                I am requested to forward the following

                L. Lozon ~ AdC
                ==============================

                Sept 10-11 Backus Mill - Port Rowan, ON

                If your Unit or Group is planning to attend this years Backhouse
                Mill event you are asked to forward the following information,Unit
                History,uniform description/distinctions a photo <optional>. This
                info wood be required to fit on a posture 8-1/2"x11" so be guided
                by this dimension accordingly.

                The goal here is post a sign in each unit camp to both identify
                and educate the visitors to the units. It is hoped that the "postures"
                would be returned by Wed Aug 3rd/11' . This proposal is new to the
                war of 1812 time period,but for sure has some merit.

                Best Regards Larry Hanna