Re: 1812 Backus Mills update- gentle reminder

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
      Gentlemen and Ladies of this List:

      This event sounds quite spectacular from a reenactor's point of view.? However, may I please remind everyone who sends such a post to give us some more clear idea of where an event will be held?? I'm afraid I don't know where Backus Mills is.? Even a link to the organization's website would be helpful.? Of course, I can, and probably will, Google it, and, as I imagine it is in Canada, I couldn't go at any rate, but, for future reference, will everyone sending announcements, or even updates, of events please give us more complete information?

      Thank you all very much.

      Sincerely,

      Ann Wass

      From: Larry Hanna <capt_haha@...>
      Subject: Backus Mills update

      Unit Commanders please advise your members of the following Backus up-date.

      With your support we will set a new attendance record for this coming week-end at the Backus Event. We are anticipating 500 reenacters .

      Registration/waver sign-in will be located beside the Village Stores.You will be advised of your units assigned camping area. With our expected number of reenacters please set up your tent-age with this in mind. After you have set-up please remove your vehicles to the reenactor parking. there will be no parking in the Historic Village area. A Shuttle will be operating Fri. Sat. and Sun. Security for the Reenactor Parking will be provided by the Norfolk Militia. <any additional volunteers for this duty would be helpful>. That is Friday and Sat. nights.

      There are two battle scenario's scheduled for Sat., the Sun. morning skirmish is back, as well as Sun Afternoon battle scenario <a two part affair to be fought on two seperate fields>.You will need plenty of powder.

      Sat. night dinner will consist of a pork roasts, corn, salads, bread and water melon for desert. Again this year Ant Erie's Kitchen will be open Friday evening. She will again be offering a buffet style breakfast both Sat.and Sun. starting at 7:00 am. Cost for breakfast will be $5.00 for reenacters in period dress, $7.00 for others.

      There will two ice runs on Sat. and one on Sun.please indicate your needs when you sign in.

      On behalf of the Long Point Region Conservation Authority/and the planning committee see you there.

      best regards

      Larry Hanna
      Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment

    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
        Ms.Wass:

        As AdC I am (from time to time) asked to forward emails. I do as I am ordered not more and definitely not less. As you have said you will Google the location, all is well.

        Your Unit Commander should also have all the information you seek if not contact Larry Hanna capt_haha(at)yahoo.com

        Also visit http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist

        Yrs.,

        L. Lozon ~ AdC (L2)
        Crown Forces North America

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
            I just wanted to add that Backus Mills was always one of my favourite events
            and it is one I miss attending very much. The setting, the people, the site
            - hehehe- the midnight treks into the graveyard on the hillside - everything
            just made it one of those special events that lasts in your memory. Enjoy
            yourselves, everyone!

            Kathryn

            This will help you Ann. Backus is almost directly across Lake Erie from
            Erie PA. It is near a place called Port Rowan. Put this address in Google
            maps (RR 1, Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0) and you will get a look at the place.

            Maybe in a couple of years when you come up you can attend.

            http://www.uppercanadianheritage.com/backusmill/

            Kevin

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            I'm afraid I don't know where Backus Mills is.?