Advice from Customers Sought

  • Donlyn Meyers
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8 11:07 AM
      Okay This is on the commercial side but thought you folks could help with our decision. The economy has been horrible on all the sutlers and craftsmen this year.
      We are all struggling to keep good American craftsmen's products coming your way at fair prices.....pretty hard this year. Should we print Christmas catalogs this year? Or Will you our customers go to the web sites for Christmas shopping anyway with out a printed piece in hand? Will re--enactors be shopping this Christmas with historical suppliers?
      We always plan a fun Christmas party/ Sale here at the store the first weekend of Dec......that's okay for our customers that live close enough to drive over and have a cup of Christmas cheer with us and get some discounted shopping in ......but what about mail order customers? How can the historical merchant class serve you for the Christmas season? Donlyn Meyers Smoke and Fire Co.

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8 12:18 PM
        Honestly Donlyn, Christmas is the ONLY time I use the catalogue.

        I go through the catalogue and circle everything I want and show it to all of the relatives that want to buy stuff for me!

        Any other time I look on line...

        Kevin

        To: FandIWAR@yahoogroups.com; Revlist@onelist.com; WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        .

      • ucpm_gunner
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8 4:18 PM
          Donlyn:

          I have to agree with Kevin, in that I use the catalogs primarily as the holidays approach, for my non-reenacting relatives who ask what I want. Personally, I usually shop online.

          That said, it may be hoped that things will be looking up a bit by Christmas for all of us. My own Christmas plans are waiting until I find out whether I'll be working again by then. And I know of many other re-enactors who have also been negatively effected by the economic downturn this past year. The sutlers are merely getting the trickle-down effect of what the rest of us have suffered. They say now that things ARE turning around. We're all keeping our fingers crossed.

          Dale
        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8 4:44 PM
            Donlyn

            Having been in the retail business for many years I know how much a catalog costs to produce. All re-enactors know your wares and if they need reminding they can go to www.smoke-fire.com

            I am sure they don't want the cost of the catalog to reflect in the cost of your items. Those who are affected by the economy will agree.

            Use the internet to advise all to support their sutlers, merchants and craftsmen.

            Yrs.,
            L2
            Sutlers & Merchants
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

            " . . . Should we print Christmas catalogs this year? Or Will you our customers go to the web sites for Christmas
            shopping anyway with out a printed piece in hand? . . . Donlyn Meyers Smoke and Fire Co."
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 8 5:01 PM
              Donlyn,

              How about a compromise with the catalogue available as a downloadable file on your site so that thouse who prefer a a hard copy can just print it out.

              Cheers,