Battle of North Point AAR

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2009

      I have the honour to report that on the afternoon of 6 Sept, His Majesty's forces in the Chesapeake, representing troops from the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 21st and Royal Marines as well as Royal Marine Artillery, successfully landed on the shores of the North Point peninsula and proceeded to march toward the city of Baltimore.

      Not far from our landing area, a mixed force of the enemy consisting mostly of militia but backed up by artillery, handled undoubtedly by the same flotillamen from Bladensburg, blocked our route. Our general threw caution aside and advanced with a screen of light Infantry from the 3rd to determine their strength. Unfortunately in the ensuing skirmish, his life was taken from us and his dying wish was to commend his family to King and Country. The loss of such a gallant officer by our little army was immeasurable.

      I immediately took command and brought up my artillery to counter battery the enemy while positioning my troops. The enemy was positioned behind a stout paling under cover of a wooded area and reserves could be seen to their immediate rear. I brought my column forward and moving the men into line, started to deliver a rolling fire by sections, then by battalion until the enemy started to wither. In short order, three cheers and a charge of the enemy line was all that was needed to dislodge them completely from their position. Such was their willingness to decamp that they gave up their strong position with no inclination to cross bayonets with His Majesty's troops leaving us in complete control of the battlefield. Taking stock of the situation and having no cavalry to follow up our success, I immediately had my men rest and enjoy their first meal of the day.

      After a valiant attempt to thrust past the American fort, I was notified by the Admiral that no Royal Navy assistance was forthcoming on a planned assault of the defenses of Baltimore. Taking this into account and with the possibility of large casualties among our small army, I withdrew from before the city and proceeded toward our landing point. During our retreat, near the same field as our previous engagement, the enemy now greatly reinforced, had the audacity to shew himself again, completely surprising our rear guard and capturing several soldiers of the 21st. I immediately deployed my lights and brought forth my artillery as well as several sections and checked their assault. Such was our determination that the enemy ceased their advance and thus held in check, we continued our retreat without further molestation.

      Nearing the embarkation point, the weather, so unpredictable in the area, proceeded to deteriorate. The waters of the Chesapeake so calm earlier in the day now pushed by a heavy wind, crashed headlong upon the shoreline and dark clouds could be seen in the offing. We moved quickly and ably assisting each other, we were able to successfully load our stores and supplies and troops before serious harm was encountered.

      I have now to remark that nothing could surpass the zeal, unanimity and ardour displayed by the soldiers and marines under my command during this operation. May I also take this time to bring to your attention the actions of the following and the dedication which they brought to their duties. Sgt. George Bougher of the Buffs for the steady manner which he led the lights through these actions; Corporal John Truelove for ably running the combined section of the Royal Scots, Kings Own and Royal Fusiliers; acting NCO Cole Jones for his cheerful disposition and assistance; acting NCO Scott Jeznach for his dedication in running the Royal Marines and exercising his command of the drill. May I also commend highly the handling of the Royal Marine Artillery under the diligent care of Corporal Chris Ward.

      I have the honour to be your Most Obedient and Most Humble Servant,

      Ed Seufert,
      Acting Officer in the Chesapeake
      Cpl, 1812 Royal Marines