Re: Muster Roll??

  • ronpontiac
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2009
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "suullly" <suullly@...> wrote:
      "I have to ask whoever posted the reply to my search, How did you know that this Sullivan ended up in Renfrew??"

      Genealogy is a hobby and I happen to have had an ancestor who had lost an arm while serving in the Navy who settled in that part of Upper Canada. I looked at the 1851 Census and found a Patrick Sullivan who was the right age living in Renfrew. This means that there is a better than even chance that he sent a petition to the Government looking for land. If so, these petitions often outline the petitioner's past service. I would also check the medal registers to see if he received a Military General Service Medal--which could still exist in someone's collection. The name of the recipient was engraved on the edge of the medal.

      Ron Dale