Gov. says no to War of 1812 200th anniversary commission

  • Todd Post
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2009
      http://statepolitics.lohudblogs.com/2009/08/27/gov-says-no-to-war-of-1812-200th-anniversary-commission/

      Gov. David Paterson has vetoed legislation sponsored by Assemblyman
      Richard Brodsky, D-Greenburgh, that would have established the New
      York State War of 1812 200th anniversary commemoration commission. The
      governor said the state’s ongoing fiscal problems—it currently has a
      $2.1 billion budget deficit— are the reason he vetoed the bill.

      Based on the cost of similar commissions in the past, the War of 1812
      commission would have cost about $2.25 million over five years, the
      governor’s veto said. The 24-member panel would have been charged with
      organizing a series of War of 1812 reenactment tourism events and
      promoting War of 1812 educational studies in elementary and secondary
      schools.

      “Let it be understood that I fully support the objectives of this
      bill, and thank the sponsors for their efforts in drawing attention to
      this significant bicentenary. If we fail to recognize the sacrifices
      of those who fought to protect our freedom in the wars of the past, we
      dishonor not only those brave soldiers but also those who fight for
      the same ideals in the wars of the present … If we fail to teach our
      children the lessons of yesterday, we do not equip them to understand
      the world of today and to prepare for the world of tomorrow,” the
      governor wrote.

      “But we do a great disservice to the people of this State if we fail
      to consider how we can meet these important obligations without
      exacerbating the current fiscal crisis,” he wrote.

      New York’s War of 1812 historic sites already conduct educational
      programs and host reenactment events, Paterson said. Some are planning
      anniversary events, and more will no doubt do so as 2012 draws
      closer. The governor said he has asked his staff to work with
      relevant state agencies to develop a framework for coordinating
      commemorative activities.

      The state has created similar commissions in the past, such as one to
      commemorate the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson’s and Samuel de
      Champlain’s voyages, the 200th anniversary of Robert Fulton’s first
      steamship voyage on the Hudson River and the 250th anniversary of the
      French and Indian War, which ran from 1754 to 1763.