New member hoping to find some insight.

  • suullly
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 22, 2009
      Hey folks :
      I just inherited my fathers paperwork and in it a document describing his involvement in The Glengarry Fencibles. Would anyone here know where I could find a list of soldiers who served there?
    • saultcitysoo
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23, 2009
        Try this link: http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca/

        Do you mean that your father was a re-enactor, or that he was with the original regiment?

        Sue

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "suullly" <suullly@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks :
        > I just inherited my fathers paperwork and in it a document describing his involvement in The Glengarry Fencibles. Would anyone here know where I could find a list of soldiers who served there?

      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2009
          "saultcitysoo" wrote:

          Do you mean that your father was a re-enactor, or that he was with the original regiment?

          Sue

          That was going to be my question too. If the latter, then either you or your father or both can give Methusala a run for his money!

          Peter
        • petemonahan
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23, 2009
            Sully,

            There is a recent history of the GLI - I think I have a copy somewhere - but I can't recall whether or not it includes a nominal roll. What name are you looking for?

            Peter

          • Tom Hurlbut
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 23, 2009
              I have a copy of Winston Johnson's "The Glengarry Light Infantry, 1812-1816" (published 1998) and it has a pretty decent muster roll. Just who are we looking for?

              Cheers! Tom

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2009
                > There is a recent history of the GLI - I think I have a copy somewhere - but I can't recall whether or not it includes a nominal roll. What name are you looking for?

                Sorry for my typo. The document describes how my ancestor received 100 acres of land for service rendered in the Glengarry light infantry fencibles. I had no idea that our family was here that long ago. The name was Patrick Sullivan. Thank you for your responses It is a great thing these computers , to allow such an exchange of information so quickly.
              • Michael Mathews
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2009
                  My book on the GLI shows one Patrick Sullivan, born in Ireland, depot at Quebec, enlisted 20/02/1815, discharged 24/06/1816. That sound about right?

                  Michael

                  "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted..." -- Aesop

                  > There is a recent history of the GLI - I think I have a copy somewhere - but I can't recall whether or not it includes a nominal roll. What name are you looking for?

                  Sorry for my typo. The document describes how my ancestor received 100 acres of land for service rendered in the Glengarry light infantry fencibles. I had no idea that our family was here that long ago. The name was Patrick Sullivan. Thank you for your responses It is a great thing these computers , to allow such an exchange of information so quickly.

                • ronpontiac
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2009
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "suullly" <suullly@...> wrote:
                    The document describes how my ancestor received 100 acres of land for service rendered in the Glengarry light infantry fencibles.

                    Is this the lad that ended up in Renfrew? If so, he may have been eligilble to receive the General Service Medal even though he was not in combat.

                    Ron
                  • suullly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25, 2009
                      > Is this the lad that ended up in Renfrew? If so, he may have been eligilble to receive the General Service Medal even though he was not in combat.

                      He did indeed end up in Renfrew,
                    • suullly
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 25, 2009
                        > My book on the GLI shows one Patrick Sullivan, born in Ireland, depot at Quebec, enlisted 20/02/1815, discharged 24/06/1816. That sound about right?

                        I have no idea of the dates but if he was the only one by that name enlisted, I think that is a great start.
                      • suullly
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                          Michael:
                          Would it be possible for you to e mail me a scan of the page in the source book you got that information from?. Or let me know the book title.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                            Sure: "The Glengarry Light Infantry, 1812-1816: Who were they and what did they do in the war?" by Winston Johnston. ISBN 0-9730501-0-1 Benson Publishing. 1998.