provincial and state commissions

  • Dennis McMahon
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2009
      This is a wonderful site and it is so great to see all the very
      interesting and valuable work being done by all.

      In 2003 or so,I made the proposal for the creation of a Vermont War of 1812
      Bicentennial Commission. It was deemed then "too early". My repeated
      calls for a Vermont state Bicentennial commission either created
      by the Legislature or (my latest proposal) by executive fiat, have not
      been dealt with to date.
      I am following various US and state commission legislative bills, etc.
      I am curious about the existence of all formal provincial and state
      bodies that exist or people who are pushing for same.
      The state of Vermont was not included in the original US bill until
      I brought this Commission to the attention of one of our senators.
      All the best
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2009
        Hi Dennis. Here in the Great White North we have been leading the way in
        bicentennial planning! There is an international group of historic sites
        (with the unique name of the "International Historic Sites Bicentennial
        Committee") that has been meeting for almost 5 years now. In Niagara Falls
        we started our Bicentennial Task Force over 3 years ago; the Niagara Region
        started 3 years ago; most other places about 2 years.

        For the state of Vermont to say that it is too early means they haven't
        looked at a calendar lately! By September 21st (5 weeks away) is the 1000
        day mark until the start of the Bicentennial! (not that I am counting!!)

        Government works at glacial pace, so if they are looking for any $$ they
        should have started last year!!

        Kevin

        _____

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of Dennis McMahon

        This is a wonderful site and it is so great to see all the very
        interesting and valuable work being done by all.

        In 2003 or so,I made the proposal for the creation of a Vermont War of 1812
        Bicentennial Commission. It was deemed then "too early". My repeated
        calls for a Vermont state Bicentennial commission either created
        by the Legislature or (my latest proposal) by executive fiat, have not
        been dealt with to date.
        I am following various US and state commission legislative bills, etc.
        I am curious about the existence of all formal provincial and state
        bodies that exist or people who are pushing for same.
        The state of Vermont was not included in the original US bill until
        I brought this Commission to the attention of one of our senators.
        All the best

        ___

      • Dennis McMahon,Esq.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2009
          Many thanks.
          I've been pushing for this ever since the night I saw a documentary on the Star
          Spangled Banner and an interview with then Baltimore Mayor Martin 0'Malley.
          I agree, time is moving, and will continue to work on this,
          Best regards.

          Dennis McMahon,Esq.  72 Murray St.  Burlington, Vt. 05401

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2009
            Time is indeed moving. Martin O'Malley is now "Governor" O'Malley.

            Hal Dennison
            1-800-385-9630
            www.JustDreamLife.com

            I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2009
              Good morning list.

              I saw that Todd Post had posted this on another list but thought it worth sharing as well here.

              It ties in with what various Provinces and States are doing, this being an article from the Toledo Blade talking about the State of Ohio.

              The Ohio economy has been particularly hard hit by the current economic downtown.

              You can find the article at:

              http://tinyurl.com/lesobr

              Or I have pasted the text below my signature.

              Here is hoping they get some support, particularly for our good friends at Fort Meigs!

              Tom Fournier
              41st Regiment

              ******************************

              Article published August 03, 2009
              Historic milestones to get scant funding
              State budget woes curb anniversary plans

              Among local War of 1812 sites is Fort Meigs in Perrysburg.
              ( THE BLADE )

              By JIM PROVANCE
              BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU CHIEF

              COLUMBUS - Ohio is gearing up to mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War and then the bicentennial of the War of 1812, even as it dramatically slashes support for the agency it usually counts on for such efforts.

              That's in direct contrast to a few years ago, when Ohio pumped nearly $16 million of taxpayer funds into a yearlong celebration of Ohio's 200th birthday in 2003 that helped to finance such things as the painting of barns with bicentennial logos, a Tall Ships extravaganza on Lake Erie, and a Tall Stacks riverboat celebration on the Ohio River.

              The Ohio Senate has unanimously approved a bill to establish a commission to coordinate events with other states and Canadian provinces to mark the 200th anniversary of a young United States of America's second war with Britain, from 1812 to 1815.

              But the bill provides no money, leaving it to Northwest State Community College to oversee its operation. The role of the struggling Ohio Historical Society would be relegated to two seats at the table.

              "The situation with [Ohio's state] bicentennial was different," the bill's sponsor, Sen. Stephen Buehrer (R., Delta), said. "As I recall, they had even more grandiose plans that had to be scaled back. It was a much more elaborate celebration. You're often the victim or beneficiary of the times you're in."

              Mr. Buehrer's bill, or a similar measure sponsored by Rep. Dennis Murray (D., Sandusky) in the House, is expected to reach Gov. Ted Strickland's desk this fall.

              Mr. Strickland, meanwhile, issued a directive in April putting the task of planning for Ohio's role in marking the sesquicentennial of the Civil War in the hands of a commission to be overseen entirely by the historical society.

              That was about two months before he signed a two-year state budget that cut the agency's operating budget to $7.9 million for each of the next two years, 34 percent less than it received last year and 42.5 percent less than what it had just two years ago.

              The governor's directive told the society to establish an 18-member panel to help prepare and coordinate events marking the bloody war from 1861 to 1865 that preserved a then-fragile nation and ended slavery.

              Ohio saw one major Civil War battle on its soil as Union troops chased Confederate troops across the Ohio River to Buffington Island in 1863. But the state contributed generals such as Ulysses S. Grant, William Tecumseh Sherman, and Phillip Sheridan; numerous troops, and weaponry.

              Despite its budget cut, the historical society set aside $100,000 for the effort, half from its state funds and half from federal and private sources. It also reassigned a staff member to focus on it.

              Jim Strider, the society's director of outreach and historic preservation services, said the agency will fulfill its role as it pertains to both anniversaries. He noted that the state's bicentennial bash in 2003 began years before the actual events, making comparisons difficult.

              "When [preparation funding] started in the mid-1990s, it was a time period when the economy of the state and the nation was significantly better than now," he said. "The state committed to really significant activities from 1996 until 2004 with millions of appropriations. It was done in a significantly different period."

              But even in the 1960s, when Ohio marked the centennial of the Civil War and the sesquicentennial of the War of 1812, the state provided some funds.

              "It was nowhere near what was appropriated for [Ohio's] bicentennial," Mr. Strider said. "We are hopeful that as the state's economy improves, we may be able to receive some state funding, but we are certainly aware that there is likely to be ongoing pressure on the state's budget."

              Rick Finch, site manager at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, where the British were twice repelled, said the historical society felt it couldn't take on planning for both war commemorations. It played into his concerns that the War of 1812 will be overshadowed by the war between the North and South.

              "The Civil War is so much more prominent in people's minds and memories that the War of 1812 has become the forgotten war," he said. "The War of 1812 was our first major war as a new nation. It is an important milestone, so that's why we're trying to push the bicentennial commission through the legislature."

              He said Ohio will work with a similarly unfunded commission in Michigan as well as better-funded efforts in Canada.

              "The province of Ontario and the government of Canada are much more involved in the War of 1812," Mr. Finch said. "When you talk to Canadians, they claim it as their war. They're investing in this bicentennial, getting new buildings and monuments erected to help commemorate the occasion."

              The historical society's Fort Meigs tentatively plans to re-enact the bloodiest day of fighting at the fort that took place on May 5, 1813.

              The National Park Service, meanwhile, is looking at holding a peace summit in 2015 at Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-in-Bay to mark 200 years of peace between the United States and Canada.

              "Remember, if it weren't for the War of 1812, you and I would probably be Canadians," said Dr. Richard D. Ruppert of Toledo, immediate past president of the historical society's board of trustees.
            • jgreath511@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 17, 2009
                Dennis,

                Just wanted to let you know that North Carolina has a War of 1812
                bicentennial committee. The committee is a project within the North Carolina
                Department of Cultural Resources and was not created by the State Legislature.
                Our goal is to promote both military and civilian type programs during the
                bicentennial.

                Regards,
                Jim Greathouse