RE: 1812 Road conditions on QEW

  • Ian Gardner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
      Perhaps this would work better.

      http://tinyurl.com/m935kz

      Takes you through St. Catharines which I’ve found must have the worst
      light synchronisation in the western hemisphere. However, it gets you
      back onto the QEW (IIRC) just at the east end of the construction.

      Alternatively, if it’s really backed up, you could get off at Victoria,
      go south to 81 and then east along the base of the Escarpment and
      through St. Catharines. Even have bragging rights to partially retracing
      Laura Secord’s route (wrong direction but who’s a purist?).

      Ian

      From: hdennison@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:50:53 -0700

      I would suggest taking the 406 south to hwy 58 east (turns into Thorold
      Stone Rd) which will run you back into the QEW.

      Hal Dennison

      1-800-385-9630

      www.JustDreamLife.com

      I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from
      home.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
        And then you would be almost to my house!

        That is the good detour, however, at some point (usually after 6) the QEW is
        backed up PAST the 406 exit.

        As for the detours that Ian posted I wouldn't recommend them. There are
        little constructions pockets all over and it will end up just as much time
        as waiting!

        However, if you are coming from London 403 here is what I would do!

        Get off at Hwy 52 (Trinity Rd) and keep following that. It will turn into
        Sawmill Rd for a little bit but then will veer off to the left and become
        Carluke and then White Church Rd (all of the arrows will point this way as
        the main road). You will go through Glanbrook, Binbrook, Caistor Centre,
        Allens Corner, and Bismark. When you get to Bismark it will turn into Hwy
        #20. Hwy 20 will turn into Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls and you can get
        onto the QEW from there. It will take you roughly an hour and a half to get
        from Brantford to Niagara Falls this way (or 2 hours if you do the speed
        limit). Last Sunday it took an hour to get from the 406 to 420 so an extra
        45 minutes is nothing!!

        If you are coming from Toronto area get off at Hwy #24 (Victoria Ave). It
        is slow and 50 km/h in some places but it is straight and will take you to
        Hwy #20. It isn't the most convenient, but it is straight and not
        confusing. It picks up to 80 km/h and is good for trailers.

        See you there!

        Kevin

        89th

        _____

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of HAROLD DENNISON

        I would suggest taking the 406 south to hwy 58 east (turns into Thorold
        Stone Rd) which will run you back into the QEW.

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2009
          Sorry, in my last email I should have said that the traffic was backed up on
          the QEW to at least Grimsby. But that was at 4PM on a Saturday afternoon.
          If there is any way of checking road conditions before you leave, that would
          be best.

          Mark Dickerson

        • Jim Hill
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2009
            I think Hal, Ian and Kevin have all provided alternatives to the old 'Queenee'.
            Kevin is correct that using the route through St. Catharines (crazy but fun village) will put you back in the construction on the QEW.
            Hwy 20 is a great little gem if not stuck behind ma and pa Kettle from Bismark (how did they keep that town name).

            Use Ian's exit at Jordan Road to Middle Road and get on the 406 to Hwy 58/Thorold Stone Road, if you miss Hwy 58 the 406 will take you to Kevins' suggested Hwy 20/Lundy's Lane both of these routes will take you back to a quiet section of the Queen Elizabeth Way and Fort Erie.

            Either way you cover some 1812 sites. You pass through the Battle of Beaverdams site on Hwy 58 and I think you might know about that Lundy's Lane punch up on Hwy 20.

            Best of luck
            Jim