RE: 1812 Odd question regarding tertiary sources

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
      Your friends can make their job of putting a uniform together, much easier
      if they can decide what side they want to portray, and then which regiment.
      I would suggest putting a uniform together of a regiment that is already
      being portrayed by a current re-enactment group. There are many advantages
      to this:

      -the research of that regiment's individual quirks has already been done.
      (duplication of hard work is a PITA)

      -the buttons, lace and badges are readily available. It takes a long time
      to get completely new buttons designed, a mold made and buttons cast.

      -you don't have to join the existing group. You can form your own group but
      portray a different company of that regiment. (Example, the Royal Scots
      currently have 3 separate groups all portraying the same regiment)

      -it looks nicer on a battlefield to have larger numbers of the same regiment
      rather than 10 different groups of all different regiments.

      -often that other group keeps an inventory of items that could be purchased,
      already pre-made

      Mark Dickerson