Re: 1812 Re: Odd question regarding tertiary sources

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      Cool. Please let me know when publication is closer.

      --
      John J. Ogden

    • Harry Pilotto
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        Tim,
        Neil Morrison's book had a VERY limited run, I have copy #7. It is incorrect in a great many areas, but at the time, 1985, it was that or Osprey books.
        Harry
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

        > Nothing quite like that exists for our period, the problem is that though the uniforms were fairly standard there are so many little quirks and differences between (British) regiments that people who wish to re-create a unit research that particular unit rather than the general uniform. That said in 1990 or 95 Neil Morrison produced a book with an extremely limited circulation on the Highlanders at Waterloo heavily based on Sketchbook 76.
        >
        > Over the years I have considered puting together such a work myself but though on the face of it that would be quite straight forward? the task grows on thinking seriously about it. Take headger, for 1776 infantry there is the cocked hat (tricorn is a Victorian word) the same for everyone but with different trimming, simple. For 1812 there is the 1800 pattern shako, the 1812 pattern, the Light Infantry pattern, the cocked hat and the chapeau bras. All of these can be trimmed differently depending on regiment and company. When you start trying to compile this sort of thing it becomes obvious why, in dress regulations from 816 on, the method is to roughly discribe the senior regiment of each arm of service and then say that everything that can be different is "of regimental pattern"
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tim

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
          Your friends can make their job of putting a uniform together, much easier
          if they can decide what side they want to portray, and then which regiment.
          I would suggest putting a uniform together of a regiment that is already
          being portrayed by a current re-enactment group. There are many advantages
          to this:

          -the research of that regiment's individual quirks has already been done.
          (duplication of hard work is a PITA)

          -the buttons, lace and badges are readily available. It takes a long time
          to get completely new buttons designed, a mold made and buttons cast.

          -you don't have to join the existing group. You can form your own group but
          portray a different company of that regiment. (Example, the Royal Scots
          currently have 3 separate groups all portraying the same regiment)

          -it looks nicer on a battlefield to have larger numbers of the same regiment
          rather than 10 different groups of all different regiments.

          -often that other group keeps an inventory of items that could be purchased,
          already pre-made

          Mark Dickerson