Paid Event - Looking for Re-enactors, Artisans, Entertainers, Etc.

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      Fort Willow Depot Historic Site
      Nine Mile Portage Heritage Festival

      PAID EVENT LOOKING FOR RE-ENACTORS, ARTISANS, ENTERTAINERS, ETC.

      On September 18th & 19th, 2009, the City of Barrie, the Township of
      Springwater and the Nottawasaga Conservation Authority will once again be
      celebrating the significance of the Historic Nine Mile Portage and Fort
      Willow Depot by retracing the steps of our forefathers in the development of
      our communities and to the history of Canada.

      The Nine Mile Portage, an ancient native trail, once formed a land bridge
      between Kempenfelt Bay and the Nottawasaga River enabling a continuous trade
      and transportation route from Lake Ontario through to Georgian Bay for many
      centuries. During the War of 1812, the British military improved the route
      for the transport of supplies and personnel as the lower lakes were occupied
      by the Americans. Following the War, the route remained active and, what was
      known as "the portage landing", grew into the community we know as Barrie.
      Today, you can follow the portage route by starting at Heritage Park in
      downtown Barrie to its terminus at the resurrected British supply depot,
      Fort Willow, located in Springwater Township. The City of Barrie and The
      Township of Springwater have partnered to develop an annual fall event,
      which will celebrate the significance of the historic Nine Mile Portage in
      the development of our two communities and to the history of Canada.

      We are looking for re-enactors to partake in this two day event at Heritage
      Park in downtown Barrie, various locations along the Nine-Mile Portage trail
      and Fort Willow Depot. We are specifically looking for the following:

      British & American Military Units, Individuals & Encampments

      Fife and Drum Groups

      Period Musicians, Performers and Singers

      Period Demonstrators, Artisans, Entertainers and Merchants

      Native, Voyageur, Buckskinner Units, Individuals & Encampments

      Artillery Crews and Cannons/Artillery Encampments

      Long Boat Crews and Boats with Cannons/Naval Encampments

      If you have a special unique 19th century talent not listed above we would
      also like to here from you!!!

      This is a paid event for all participants and you will be
      compensated for attending and providing wholesome education and public
      orientated programming. A reminder that this event is a little different
      from normal re-enactments as all participants are being compensated for
      attending and during education and public hours you are required to cater
      and interact with the public. First person interpretations and historical
      portrayals are stressed and encouraged as much as possible.

      This is a two day event beginning on Friday morning with an
      education day for local schools to attend, similar to Chatham's Faire at the
      Forks. There will be hundreds of local students attending on Friday with
      the day being split into two groups, one in the morning and one in the
      afternoon. Saturday will focus on public programming from 10:00am to
      5:00pm.

      If you are available to attend the event please submit a
      proposal with the following information from you or your unit/group:

      1. Name, Address, Postal Code, Phone Number and E-mail address

      2. A description of what you have to offer in regards to talent,
      demonstrations, exhibits, entertainment, encampments etc.

      3. Any promotional materials, pictures, website addresses, flyers, cd's,
      etc. promoting yourself or your group

      4. How many performances, interpretations, and presentations you would
      perform if applicable.

      5. How much it would cost for participating in the two day event.

      6. Please submit your proposals to David J. Brunelle at:

      Email - davidbrunelle@...

      Phone/Fax: 705-716-7124

      Mail - 23 Byrnes Cres, Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada, L9M 1W4

      Please submit proposals as soon as possible as the Nine Mile
      Portage Heritage Festival Committee will be making decisions on an on going
      basis as to which proposals we will be accepting for the event. I thank you
      all in advance for submitting your proposals as you are more than aware that
      all proposals submitted may not be selected for the event.

      We look forward to receiving everyone's proposals and if you have any
      questions feel free to contact me anytime via davidbrunelle@... or
      phone at 705-716-7124.

      David J. Brunelle
      Heritage Co-ordinator