1812 Re: Grand Tacticals – Past, Present and to come

  • michaeldrouillard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2009
      Email is tricky and can be interpreted differently so I want to expand a litte bit on what I said.

      Not all of my comments were complaints, I made sure to note some of the successes ie: food, straw, wood, blue rockets etc. These are "basic" things but a massive undertaking and they were all done VERY well.

      Nobody has controll over the weather so I don't want people to think I was complaining about the rain. What I was trying to get across is that the weather networks website has real time radar maps and maybe the schedule could have been tweaked a bit to compensate, ie: postponing half an hour vice cancelling or moving ahead an hour instead of having a drama skit infront of the tavern as the clouds roll in.

      Regarding the evening battle being in the field, I think we all have different opinions about that. I remember in '08 getting my ears blasted by the artillery because there were too many people crammed into too small of a place. On the other hand street fighting can get ugly fast if not done properly. I think there is a healty balance somewhere. If unit commanders are in touch with their surroundings (which they are) you should be able to pre-arrange the scheme to make sure nobody leaves the rails. All I am suggesting is that we inject a little creativity so that everyone gets a chance to have fun. Being in the Glens we are usually the first on and last off so I always burn powder but there are others who drive 8 hours and only fire a dozzen rounds. Do I drive forever just for the battle? no but if we are doing this for the public and to preserve history we should give a good show.
      That is what I was trying to get across with my point about the families who paid to get in. It wasn't about compensation for the rain it was that they should walk away going "that was F#%^& AWESOME". Line infantry is what it is and safety can't be compromised but could we make better use of the terrain? Perhaps have the Brits take the field in such a way that the public doesn't see us coming? Maybe move around a bit more? There seemed to be a whole section of the Field that was not really used. "outside the box" is an overused phrase but might apply here.

      Will an event ever be all things to everyone? not a chance... were some of my coments un-informed and naive? maybe... but I see a whole lot of potential in this organization and I think we are capable of so much more. When people say everything is perfect things stop getting better.

      Mike Drouillard.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2009
        Mr. Drouillard

        Your questions seemed to have been answered on this yahoo group thus your post to my Yahoo address is counter productive.

        Mr. Williams has reported that he chairs a meeting of Unit Commanders every year voting on and choosing the Crown Forces events and you now know how the Grand Tactical is chosen.

        It seems the next Crown Forces event is Sept 12-13 at Backus Mill near Port Rowan, ON. Canada. Plus the numerous events before and after that date.

        Hope this has helped you

        Yrs.
        L2

        United States Forces 1812
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Crown Forces North America 1812
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        WAR Of 1812 Events

        Sutlers & Merchants
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

        --- "michaeldrouillard" wrote:

        "Being in the Glens we are usually the first on and last off . . . Will an event ever be all things to everyone? not a chance..."
      • Dave McMeekin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2009
          Hi Peter

           Didn't you get my memo.