Re: Stoney Creek book

  • Jim Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2009
      I would agree. This is a keeper.
      Some of Robin Brass' other authors have written some great stuff and I have invited Don Graves and Robert Malcomson to a range to learn how to fire ball ammunition from a musket. They still haven't made it out to the range. Mr. Elliott doesn't need a trip to a musket shoot because he gives a much better account of the experience of participants and I think it might be because of his re-enacting experience! (hanging around guys like Scott Paterson and Rick Thompson - the two 16th US guys in the review photo). I am guessing he combined his own experiences in forensic history with some solid research. There is some repetition in the book but it hits home the essential points. Would-be authors on this group take note.
      I appreciated the last bit of the book explaining the battle over how to commemorate the Battle of Stoney Creek. Your tax dollars are currently hard at work (I think), on both sides of the border, figuring out how to commemorate the Bicentennial.

      If you want the opposite experience, pick up a copy of Osprey's 'Frontier Militiaman in the War of 1812'. No offense to Mr Gilbert but this is an example of random images and comments of reenactors messing up an important subject. Since Mr Gilbert was a US Marine, he includes Marines and there are many images of the same 6-pounder. The lesson: stick to one subject at a time. The US Marines and American Artillery in 1812 deserve their own Osprey titles.

      Like those who have opinions on event planning I guess I should put my money where my keyboard is and write a book.