Re-enacting European style

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2009
      This was just sent to us by a friend in Holland.

      See fotoalbum of the invasion of the Brits in 1809 of the
      Island of Walcheren (prov.Zeeland)
      with location of the town of Veere. gr.Ed
      http://www.veere1809.nl/?page=fotoalbum/fotoalbum

      Looks like they had better weather than the Grand Tactical. I really like the idea of the badge with the lightening bolt! Ah well, wet as we were, it will provide tales for years to come. :->

      Sue
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2009
        Sue,

        Veere was a fantastic event, we rarely get the opportunity to re-enact
        in ships and boats and the scenario at Veere was the 1809 Walcheren
        landings just outside the town and it went very well on both days,
        they landed well over 100 R & G troops, the public were kept off the
        landing area on the sea defences. both days the tickets for the battle
        were sold out and there almost 20,000 people in the town on Sunday,
        the locals had closed the town centre to vehicles and most of them
        were in costume so it looked excellent.

        We had about 600 troops reasonable balanced between Brits and our
        Allies and the French and Kingdom of Holland troops. We had good
        artillery support but there was a shortage of cavalry.

        The weather was reasonable, some rain on the Saturday, but we set up
        and decamped in the dry, Sunday saw good sun and a strong drying breeze.

        Om the Sunday there was a most moving Remembrance Service for the
        fallen, military and civilians for locals, French and British. In all
        an excellent weekend.

        Summed up:

        And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
        Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
        And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
        That fought with us upon( Saint Crispin's day) Walcheren's sandy
        beaches.

        Cheers

        *(*