Crysler's Farm Grand Tactical

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13 12:50 PM
      Good afternoon list!

      What a marvelous time at Upper Canada Village/Crysler's Farm near Morrisburg, Ontario for the 2009 Grand Tactical!

      The 41st Regiment would like to thank and congratulate everyone who played a role in the planning and executing of this memorable event.

      It was a shame that weather was a factor on Saturday, but then again how fortunate to have been at the event and experienced the challenges that will be talked about for years! I wonder if we can get a laurel wreath with a lightning bolt shot through it for our uniform sleeves???

      It was wonderful to see so many people travel from so many far points to contribute to this event.

      Here is hoping everyone had a safe and uneventful trip home.

      Congratulations to the 49th Regiment Grenadier Company for their beautiful new Colours. It was a true honour to have the opportunity to participate in the ceremony.

      Some weekend photos can be found on our website at:

      www.fortyfirst.org

      Your most humble and obedient Servant

      Tom Fournier, Captain
      41st Regiment of Foot
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13 1:13 PM
        I must agree with Captain Fornier: a great weekend, despite the weather. Good to see familiar faces again, and 'play' with such a great group of people. The troops were magnificent, on both sides, the tactical entertaining for all I think and the scenery and the village worth the long drive.

        Many thanks are due to Robin Morris, Bob Irvine and the other Friends of Chrysler's Farm

        Peter Monahan
      • Victor Suthren
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13 1:25 PM
          Observing from the soggy Saturday sidelines, I was impressed by the progress made in drill and movements, and the solid, correct 'feel' of what everyone was doing on the field: a credit to each soldier, certainly, but also to fine officers like Craig Williams, Peter Twist and others, who have been imparting much, and doing it well. Your naval counterparts salute you, lads.

          Vic Suthren
          Naval Establishment
          .
          I must agree with Captain Fornier: a great weekend, despite the weather. Good to see familiar faces again, and 'play' with such a great group of people. The troops were magnificent, on both sides, the tactical entertaining for all I think and the scenery and the village worth the long drive.

          Many thanks are due to Robin Morris, Bob Irvine and the other Friends of Chrysler's Farm

          Peter Monahan

        • Michael Drouillard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14 6:58 AM
            I must have been at a different GT then everyone else because I personally thought it was kind of a let down. Why was there modern vehicles in the middle of the British camp all day Saturday? We had this beautiful village right at our finger tips and didn't take advantage of it at all. Why not have the British garrison the town? Maybe have some of the units occupy some of the barns and open farmland? Maybe next year we could have some fun on saturday night in the Tavern? organize a talent show with skits and stuff.

            The afternoon battle was cancelled and like 15 mins later the rain stopped.... like was nobody watching the weather forecast? you can go right onto the weather network website and watch the radar maps in real time.

            The same can be said for the evening battle. If Brockville is getting tornado warnings why not bump up the time for the evening battle? Towards the end it just got stupid and we are lucky nobody nobody was struck by lightning, that could have been the end of the hobby. And again, with the whole village at our disposal why did we shoehorn the whole battle into one small field? With so many people in such a small area you have no space to move so its either REALLY boring or gets dangerous fast. We could have fought across the whole town. How many years have we been doing the same thing? You cant expect people to drive for hours and then give them a lame 15 min battle that is the same every single year. What about the families paying a hundred bucks to get in? we should be giving them a better show then that. So many possibilities....

            It really felt like we spent more time formed up waiting for something to happen then we did on the field doing something.

            I do want to recognize some of the success though. Feeding people on that scale is a daunting task and although the menu was simple it really hit the spot and was GREATLY appreciated. I was also impressed with the young servers who were both enthusiastic and courteous. The nuts and bolts (wood/straw/blue rockets) were well thought out and well maintained, probably the best I have ever seen.

            I still had a good time but for a GT I was expecting so much more. The site is amazing and has lots of potential that just didn't seem to materialize into anything. I am sure I sound like a jerk but I can't rant and rave over something that was just "bla"

            Mike Drouillard

            > What a marvelous time at Upper Canada Village/Crysler's Farm near Morrisburg, Ontario for the 2009 Grand Tactical!

          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14 8:05 AM
              Mike,

              We were all disappointed with the event weather-wise.
              In answer to your specific queries...
              Modern vehicles- I too was disappointed with this, it had to do with
              a documentary being shot at the event and the vehicles were removed
              later in the day.
              Sooner would have been better.
              Garrisoning the town? It wasn't offered first off, but I think it was
              a deliberate choice to spread the event out.
              As far as Saturday evening entertainment (past the dancing in the
              tavern), it sounds like a great idea. Perhaps you might like to try
              to put this together at some future event?
              As to weather forecasts, there were some folks who had access to
              these and they were consulted. The call on the afternoon battle was
              made with that information by the command staff of both armies and
              the event organizers. It's Canada, it's the Seaway, don't like the
              weather? Wait five minutes...
              Unfortunately in the case of both the afternoon and the evening
              battles and the weather, we rolled the dice and were wrong in both
              cases. Sorry, nature happens.
              We did bump the start to the evening battle by a half hour, but
              somehow the program planned for the pre battle still continued,
              albeit in a rushed manner, which pushed the start almost to the
              original time.
              As to your comments about the use of the entire town. You are, in my
              opinion right. we did make that suggestion more than once in the
              early planning stages and again later on the pre-battle walk about,
              but the organizers had their vision of the battle and since it's
              their yard we're compelled to play within the constraints of the site.

              Craig Williams