1812 Re: Regency period gear

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2009
      Thanks Tim,

      I'm sure they're aware of the differences and since they asked about the Regency shako I can only assume that's what they need.. Are you sure about the Regency style having a rear peak..? I thought that didn't come in until the Albert shako (1844..?)

      I've passed this email string to Aust so they can make contact with you if required..

      Cheers,

      John

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2009
        I'm sure they're aware of the differences and since they asked about the Regency shako I can only assume that's what they need.. Are you sure about the Regency style having a rear peak..? I thought that didn't come in until the Albert shako (1844..?)

        Absolutely positive John, acording to the regulations the front peak was 2 1/4 inches deep and the rear peak 1 1/4, but as I say it depends on the period they are going for as the rear peak was removed in 22. Though at the time it was refered to as the 'Prussian' model it was in fact far closer to the Austrian pattern which also had a rear peak. The Prince Regent seemed to like Austrian headgear, the household cavalry helmet used at Waterloo was also inspired by the Austrian model, particularly the wool crest.
        ?The other thing is finding someone with a block for this pattern though you can use the later block its a bit fiddly to cut the top down and of course one needs to have a different size block for the leather top. Still if they want a quantity it can be dome at a reasonable price.

        As you say the rear peak returned with the 'Albert' shako, a sort of mixture of the 1806 and 1816 models, and apart from the full skirt the 1855 tunic was very similar to the 1800, particularly the officers before the lapells were removed.

        All the best,