Re: 1812 OT Re: F&I 250th Ft Niagara

  • mimathews@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
      The "War in the Wilderness" battle at least had us moving, if in an unusual formation to keep up the firing.  The Saturday morning sortie had my unit as spectators, I think we fired 3-5 shots all morning.  la Belle Famille of course had some action but my unit was all dead or captured by then as was historical for us.  The assaults had us moving quickly from point to point in response to the British assaults.  My legs are still feeling the effects of running up and down those earthworks so many times.  ;-)  The "Battle on the Beach" was pretty much over by the time our company was committed so we walked a lot for nothing.

      Yes, I have been spoiled by the consistency and knowledge of the 1812 Crown Forces parades.  When our officer on parade would cry, "Garrison!  (do something or another)" out of habit I would act on his command and the drum calls, while our amalgamated company commander would then duplicate the orders.  My unit, being in terror of their sergeant <GRIN> followed me and our formation looked out of joint.  I tried at one point to explain that if they called out "garrison" we did it all together, and if the called "par division" then do it at your speed.  Alas to no avail.  Scott did a great job with the French fife and drum corps too.  A real pleasure to have with us.  Even if we did get awakened at 6:00AM every day.

      Still a minor thing all in all.  Unlike the CF who regularly work together, most F&I events are so small that the small units are just used to doing their own thing and listening for their own leaders.  A small irritant compared to all the facial hair I saw (pet peeve) and "heavy infantry."

      As a side bar, we overheard some British types commenting on the command structure and saying how "that Peter Twist, now he can lead!".  I'm sure this coming weekend will be very memorable for those that can make it.  (sniff...)

      Michael

      “A cubicle is just a padded cell without the door.”