OT Re: F&I 250th Ft Niagara Photos

  • mimathews@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
      A truly wonderous event.  I was really impressed with how well the fort staff and crew handled the massive numbers of reenactors.  Even leaving the fort Sunday was orderly and smooth.

      The battles were generally exciting and dynamic.  We were kept in the dark about the scenarios so each move and counter move had the dramatic tension so often missing from the carefully scripted and reviewed in advance scenarios.  My unit burned a LOT of powder over the weekend, and our gun crew fired 41 rounds.

      My only disappointment was that I could count on my fingers how many British regulars I saw take hits ALL WEEKEND despite spending most of their time standing in the open.  The provincials were much more sporting.  Especially noticeable during the assaults on the lunettes and ravelin.  While during the battle of la Belle Famille we French took our lumps as was realistic.

      All told, absolutely no regrets about the 17 hour drive (16 when we took the "shortcut" through Canada on the return).

      Michael Mathews

      la Compagnie Franche de la Marine du Fort la Jonquiere

      “A cubicle is just a padded cell without the door.”

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
        I was also impressed by the organization of so many re-enactors into a limited camping space. I found the battles were a crowded for the space that was allotted to them, simply due to the large numbers of re-enactors that were present. Other areas of the battles may have had some flow to them, but from the british regulars point of view, they were very static. All in all, a good weekend.

        The 7YW time period, in my opinion, needs to learn that when the battalion is in parade, with dozens of officers present, the sergeants do not command and give orders to the battalion as a whole. Very unsettling for the rank and file to have 3 different sergeants, from different companies than ours, give orders to us. All this with our own officers being kept in the dark by overall commanding staff.

        So glad to be back in the 1812 time period!!!

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
          The "War in the Wilderness" battle at least had us moving, if in an unusual formation to keep up the firing.  The Saturday morning sortie had my unit as spectators, I think we fired 3-5 shots all morning.  la Belle Famille of course had some action but my unit was all dead or captured by then as was historical for us.  The assaults had us moving quickly from point to point in response to the British assaults.  My legs are still feeling the effects of running up and down those earthworks so many times.  ;-)  The "Battle on the Beach" was pretty much over by the time our company was committed so we walked a lot for nothing.

          Yes, I have been spoiled by the consistency and knowledge of the 1812 Crown Forces parades.  When our officer on parade would cry, "Garrison!  (do something or another)" out of habit I would act on his command and the drum calls, while our amalgamated company commander would then duplicate the orders.  My unit, being in terror of their sergeant <GRIN> followed me and our formation looked out of joint.  I tried at one point to explain that if they called out "garrison" we did it all together, and if the called "par division" then do it at your speed.  Alas to no avail.  Scott did a great job with the French fife and drum corps too.  A real pleasure to have with us.  Even if we did get awakened at 6:00AM every day.

          Still a minor thing all in all.  Unlike the CF who regularly work together, most F&I events are so small that the small units are just used to doing their own thing and listening for their own leaders.  A small irritant compared to all the facial hair I saw (pet peeve) and "heavy infantry."

          As a side bar, we overheard some British types commenting on the command structure and saying how "that Peter Twist, now he can lead!".  I'm sure this coming weekend will be very memorable for those that can make it.  (sniff...)

          Michael

[...]

          (snip)

          Recent Activity

            2