Re: 1812 Re: Regency period gear

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
      The question here is are they looking for Regency shako's or Bell top's?
      There is a difference.

      The Regency was 7 1/2 inches high, had a small rear peak and a 9 inch bell
      top and was in use 1816-1822 when the height was incresed by one inch and
      the rear peak removed.
      The Bell top was introduced in 1829 and was 6 inches high with an 11 inch
      diamiter top thus exhibiting a much more pronounced 'bell' shape. Both
      Military Heritage and, in England, Paul Sacarott-Jones have blocks for this
      latter shako. There are other alternitives too if one want's a quantity.

      Please feel free to contact me off list if you would like to go further
      into this, I have been doing quite a bit of research into Regency/Bell tops
      for a film in preparation.

      In a message dated 7/7/2009 7:13:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
      lheidebrecht@... writes:

      Hello John,
      Very good and fairly reasonably priced items can be bought from Robert
      Henderson's Military Heritage site: _http://www.militaryhttp://wwhttp_
      (http://www.militaryheritage.com/)
      Contact him directly for what is needed.
      You could also contact our own Tim Pickles on this List for your
      requirements.
      Cheers,
      Len

      --- In _WarOf1812@yahoogrouWarOf1_ (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
      "John Potter" <potts4259@.po> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > Does anyone know of a supplier of late Regency period (1825 ish) British
      military kit..? A mate of mine in Australia is asking. He especially needs
      some of the distinctive Regency shakos..

      > Thanks,
      >
      > John Potter

      **************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.

    • John Potter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2009
        Thanks Tim,

        I'm sure they're aware of the differences and since they asked about the Regency shako I can only assume that's what they need.. Are you sure about the Regency style having a rear peak..? I thought that didn't come in until the Albert shako (1844..?)

        I've passed this email string to Aust so they can make contact with you if required..

        Cheers,

        John

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2009
          I'm sure they're aware of the differences and since they asked about the Regency shako I can only assume that's what they need.. Are you sure about the Regency style having a rear peak..? I thought that didn't come in until the Albert shako (1844..?)

          Absolutely positive John, acording to the regulations the front peak was 2 1/4 inches deep and the rear peak 1 1/4, but as I say it depends on the period they are going for as the rear peak was removed in 22. Though at the time it was refered to as the 'Prussian' model it was in fact far closer to the Austrian pattern which also had a rear peak. The Prince Regent seemed to like Austrian headgear, the household cavalry helmet used at Waterloo was also inspired by the Austrian model, particularly the wool crest.
          ?The other thing is finding someone with a block for this pattern though you can use the later block its a bit fiddly to cut the top down and of course one needs to have a different size block for the leather top. Still if they want a quantity it can be dome at a reasonable price.

          As you say the rear peak returned with the 'Albert' shako, a sort of mixture of the 1806 and 1816 models, and apart from the full skirt the 1855 tunic was very similar to the 1800, particularly the officers before the lapells were removed.

          All the best,