Re: Firearms in Canada

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 20 4:14 PM
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Robin R. Morris" <cfri@...> wrote:

      Tom:

      There is a complete list of border crossing regulations for muzzle-loading flintlock muskets (they are not considered firearms in Canada, the same as in the States, and you do not have to register them when you arrive in Canada) posted on the Grand Tactical Website.

      Tom, Robin, et al,
      Reproduction flintlocks are considered firearms, they are classed as antique firearms. From the Canada Firearms Centre is the following:

      Muzzleloaders Made Before 1898
      All black powder muzzleloaders made before 1898 are classified as antique firearms. Antique firearms are exempt from the licence and registration requirements set out in the Firearms Act.

      Muzzleloaders Made After 1898
      All matchlock, flintlock and wheel lock long guns are classified as antiques no matter when they were made. Like older firearms of these types, they are exempt from the licence and registration requirements set out in the Firearms Act.

      Regards,
      Bruce Whittaker
      Georgina, Ontario
    • Thomas Moore
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 20 4:29 PM
        Thank you very much for this information. I really appreciate it.
        I would be very grateful if you could print a copy of the letter and information and send it to me to carry on the trip. My computer cannot read, nor print, anything PDF and being on dial up in the country I have not been able to download the software to do so.

        Thomas Moore
        6612 Prospect Rd.
        Monroe, North Carolina
        28112

        Again, thank you so much.

        Tom

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Robin R. Morris" <cfri@...> wrote:

        > Tom:
        >

        > There is a complete list of border crossing regulations for muzzle-loading flintlock muskets (they are not considered firearms in Canada, the same as in the States, and you do not have to register them when you arrive in Canada) posted on the Grand Tactical Website.
        >
        > There is a downloadable PDF entitled "Participant Information" on the site at:
        >
        > www.1812grandtactical.tripod.com/id.11html
        >
        > The letter was written for us by a Canadian Border Services Agency officer so they are accurate - and official.
        >
        > Black powder is not considered ammunition. It is only considered a component of ammunition.
        >
        > You should have no problem with blank cartridges since they are not considered ammunition.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Robin Morris
        > Chair
        > The Friends of Crysler's Farm Battlefield
        >

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Moore" <lehrerprofessoren@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I will be driving into Canada for the first time to attend the Grand Tactical at Crysler's Farm. Not wanting to be surprised by anything at the border I have been calling and speaking with everyone with border security that I have been able to reach. I also talked with personnel at the stations where I will be crossing. This is what I have been told as of June 19, '09.
        > >
        > > I have been advised to take my musket to a port authority (luckily one is nearby) to have it inspected and registered so that I can prove I did not just buy it in Canada upon my return to the US. (anything in doubt will be confiscated and never returned) I must also stop at the Canadian side and take the musket into the station where I must fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration CAFC 909. This must be signed in the presence of the border guard. Black powder is not a problem as they allow in killograms what equals many pounds. However, they seemed uneasy about black powder in paper cartridges.
        > >
        > > Now, while I have no problem complying with these instructions, this is all way more than what other reenactors have told me who cross over regularly for events. I should like to ask, "What are your thoughts?" Tom

      • Robin R. Morris
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 21 5:38 AM
          Tom:

          I'll put it in the mail on Monday.

          Regards

          Robin Morris

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Moore" <lehrerprofessoren@...> wrote:

          > Thank you very much for this information. I really appreciate it.
          > I would be very grateful if you could print a copy of the letter and information and send it to me to carry on the trip. My computer cannot read, nor print, anything PDF and being on dial up in the country I have not been able to download the software to do so.
          >
          > Thomas Moore
          > 6612 Prospect Rd.
          > Monroe, North Carolina
          > 28112
          >
          > Again, thank you so much.
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Robin R. Morris" <cfri@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom:
          > >

          > > There is a complete list of border crossing regulations for muzzle-loading flintlock muskets (they are not considered firearms in Canada, the same as in the States, and you do not have to register them when you arrive in Canada) posted on the Grand Tactical Website.
          > >
          > > There is a downloadable PDF entitled "Participant Information" on the site at:
          > >
          > > www.1812grandtactical.tripod.com/id.11html
          > >
          > > The letter was written for us by a Canadian Border Services Agency officer so they are accurate - and official.
          > >
          > > Black powder is not considered ammunition. It is only considered a component of ammunition.
          > >
          > > You should have no problem with blank cartridges since they are not considered ammunition.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Robin Morris
          > > Chair
          > > The Friends of Crysler's Farm Battlefield
          > >

          > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Moore" <lehrerprofessoren@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I will be driving into Canada for the first time to attend the Grand Tactical at Crysler's Farm. Not wanting to be surprised by anything at the border I have been calling and speaking with everyone with border security that I have been able to reach. I also talked with personnel at the stations where I will be crossing. This is what I have been told as of June 19, '09.
          > > >
          > > > I have been advised to take my musket to a port authority (luckily one is nearby) to have it inspected and registered so that I can prove I did not just buy it in Canada upon my return to the US. (anything in doubt will be confiscated and never returned) I must also stop at the Canadian side and take the musket into the station where I must fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration CAFC 909. This must be signed in the presence of the border guard. Black powder is not a problem as they allow in killograms what equals many pounds. However, they seemed uneasy about black powder in paper cartridges.
          > > >
          > > > Now, while I have no problem complying with these instructions, this is all way more than what other reenactors have told me who cross over regularly for events. I should like to ask, "What are your thoughts?" Tom

        • whittakermp
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 21 7:19 AM
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Moore" <lehrerprofessoren@...> wrote:
            ...and take the musket into the station where I must fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration CAFC 909...

            I strongly advise against carrying your musket in to a Canadian Borders Services Agency office. In the past too many agents could not distinquish a Brown Bess from a BAR, besides, you are forbidden to carry 'arms, into the office. Leave them in your vehicle for them to see.

            Michael Whittaker
          • Thomas Moore
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 21 11:31 AM
              Thanks for that tip.

              Tom

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Moore" <lehrerprofessoren@> wrote:
              > ...and take the musket into the station where I must fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration CAFC 909...
              >
              > I strongly advise against carrying your musket in to a Canadian Borders Services Agency office. In the past too many agents could not distinquish a Brown Bess from a BAR, besides, you are forbidden to carry 'arms, into the office. Leave them in your vehicle for them to see.
              >
              > Michael Whittaker

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 21 5:26 PM
                Okay so you have heard the legal good advice from others on the list.

                As for taking the musket in to get the "green card" you don't need to do it
                if your musket is older. If you have just bought it and this is its first
                event then yes I would.but that would also include new tires on your
                vehicle, and other new large stuff.

                Tom, please don't sweat it. This is what you will experience...

                CBSA: Welcome to Canada; do you have anything to declare?
                Tom: Yes I have a flintlock musket and a sword (if you do...)
                CBSA: What is the purpose of your visit?
                Tom: I am attending a War of 1812 re-enactment at Upper Canada Village
                (most will know that more than Crysler's Farm)
                CBSA: Thank you; have a great time.

                Things to be aware of for those that are crossing over the border.

                DO NOT BRING FIREWOOD! Wooden tent poles, chairs, tables, etc are fine
                (tombstone chairs are acceptable forms of firewood ;-) ). Tent poles that
                look like branches WILL be a problem. Not insurmountable, but you will get
                a hassle.

                Some grocery items are not allowed across the border, so my suggestion to
                you is to buy your groceries there. There is a grocery store in Morrisburg
                and is less than 10 minutes from the site. They have fresh produce, meat,
                ice and everything else. The beer store is also nearby!!

                There is also a beach nearby.

                You will have a delightful time here. The 89th has been to every 1812 event
                there and THIS will be no exception!!
                Robin, Bob and Crew are wonderful hosts, the village is great and the
                Battlefield Commemorative Building is a good visit.

                You will have a great time Tom, I guarantee!!

                Kevin
                89th

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 22 6:28 AM
                  Kevin,
                  Thank you for your fine advice. All of you have been very kind and informative and I really appreciate it. We had not planned to bring any food with us, but rather, purchase it there as you suggested. I had read about the wooden pole problem, but my gear is all military and painted. I know we will have a great time and we are very excited about making the trip. The site looks wonderful in pictures and we are looking forward to taking lots of photos.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 22 3:02 PM
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:
                    Some grocery items are not allowed across the border, so my suggestion to you is to buy your groceries there. There is a grocery store in Morrisburg and is less than 10 minutes from the site. They have fresh produce, meat, ice and everything else. The beer store is also nearby!!

                    And a liquour store. The strip mall in Morrisburg has just about all you will need.

                    Michael Whittaker
                  • Sue
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 23 5:59 AM
                      Bear in mind that after noon tomorrow, the Liquor stores in Ontario may be on strike.
                      At least the beer store won't be affected!

                      Sue

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@> wrote:
                      > Some grocery items are not allowed across the border, so my suggestion to you is to buy your groceries there. There is a grocery store in Morrisburg and is less than 10 minutes from the site. They have fresh produce, meat, ice and everything else. The beer store is also nearby!!
                      >

                      > And a liquour store. The strip mall in Morrisburg has just about all you will need.
                      >
                      > Michael Whittaker

                    • Roger
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 23 8:10 AM
                        Tom,

                        As a long time re-enactor border crosser, I can confirm what Kevin said. I do not have the paperwork that proves musket ownership. This has not been an issue for me but last time I came back into the USA, I was asked if I purchased the muskets in Canada. They believed me when I said 'no' but next time I will also have the paperwork to prove it.

                        How you travel with your equipment is also important. It should be locked up and not in plain site but still accessible to show it to any curious border agents.

                        I also agree to purchase fresh produce in Canada, but only what you can eat in Canada. You will get a hassle from USA about bringing it back. The USA border agent specifically asked me if we had apples, cherries, bananas etc. last time I crossed back to US.

                        My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in USA! I love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a Canadian 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker shock. It is not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.) bottle or can of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The other option is the Duty Free store.

                        Roger

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 23 10:57 AM
                          Very true Roger! You will be quite surprised by our beer prices! A case (or what us canucks call a two four) will run about $28-$35 depending on the brand.

                          You are allowed to bring over beer for your own consumption. I can't remember the amount, but if I recall correctly it is 24/person in the car for a weekend.

                          In the end though, you get what you pay for!! Our beer may be expensive, but it is real! (insert good natured ribbing smile here)

                          I know Peter will come on about our beer being too cold for his taste!

                          KW/89

                          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                          From: Rogerheiple@...
                          Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000
                          Subject: Re: 1812 Firearms in Canada

                          My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in USA! I love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a Canadian 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker shock. It is not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.) bottle or can of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The other option is the Duty Free store.

                          Roger

                          .

                        • John Ogden
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 23 12:03 PM
                            All,

                            While in the main I agree with Monty Python that as a rule American
                            beer is like sex in a canoe, I have to defend some of my country's smaller
                            brewers. Particularly, I would like to draw your attention to the Anchor,
                            Penn Brewery, Victory and East End families of products. The Anchor and
                            Victory are both, I believe, available to our neighbors to the north,
                            although you might have trouble finding Penn Brewery products outside of PA,
                            NY and OH. East End is almost entirely a local option (I live in
                            Pittsburgh, PA: Penguins!!!) as they are still a pretty small outfit and to
                            the best of my knowledge don't bottle their products (they supply bars and
                            restaurants with kegs and the home-consumer is free to visit the brewery on
                            Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons to fill up a growler and
                            take it home.

                            That being put forward, I can now almost hear some of my
                            drinking/singing buddies asking me to bring some with me to Ft. Erie (can't
                            make the GT owing to work-related complications), so I will see if anyone
                            knows whether or not I can transport beer across the border in a container
                            other than the semi-hermetically sealed glass bottle such as in
                            which Smithwick's or Sam Adams are sold. Anyone got any information on
                            this? Anyone?

                            On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Kevin Windsor
                            <kevin.windsor@...>wrote:

                            > Very true Roger! You will be quite surprised by our beer prices! A case (or
                            > what us canucks call a two four) will run about $28-$35 depending on the
                            > brand.
                            >
                            > You are allowed to bring over beer for your own consumption. I can't
                            > remember the amount, but if I recall correctly it is 24/person in the car
                            > for a weekend.
                            >
                            > In the end though, you get what you pay for!! Our beer may be expensive,
                            > but it is real! (insert good natured ribbing smile here)
                            >
                            > I know Peter will come on about our beer being too cold for his taste!
                            >
                            > KW/89
                            >

                            > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > From: Rogerheiple@... <Rogerheiple%40hotmail.com>
                            > Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000
                            > Subject: Re: 1812 Firearms in Canada
                            >
                            > My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in USA! I
                            > love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a Canadian
                            > 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker shock. It is
                            > not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.) bottle or can
                            > of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The other
                            > option is the Duty Free store.
                            >
                            > Roger
                            >
                            > .

                            John J. Ogden

                          • JOHN GREIG
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 23 12:35 PM
                              But at least the imported English beer in the LCBO will have some taste !!!!!!!!!!
                              Cheers,
                              Squire

                              ________________________________

                              From: Rogerheiple@ hotmail.com
                              Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000

                              My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in USA! I love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a Canadian 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker shock. It is not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.) bottle or can of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The other option is the Duty Free store.

                              Roger

                              .

                            • CyrusWakefield.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 23 12:51 PM
                                I have to agree with John. There are some very good American beers.
                                My personal favourite is Rolling Rock, made in Latrine, PA. They
                                bought out my other favourite, Naragansett (Hi, Neighbour! Have a
                                'gansett) a number of years back. Being primarily water, you can
                                drink a whole lot of it without any side effects other than rushing to
                                the loo a lot. It's also cheap. What the heck, I'm a sutler, eh! As
                                they say at reenactments, any swill called beer is a good beer if
                                there is no other beer to be had.

                                Regards,
                                Sutler Cyrus
                                www.cyruswakefield.com

                              • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 23 1:14 PM
                                  Freudian slip?? Rolling Rock is associated with Latrobe, Pa.

                                  Ron

> [...]

                                  > > but it is real! (insert good natured ribbing smile here)
                                  > >
                                  > > I know Peter will come on about our beer being too cold for his
                                  > taste!
                                  > >
                                  > > KW/89
                                  > >

                                  > > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > From: Rogerheiple@... <Rogerheiple%40hotmail.com>
                                  > > Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000
                                  > > Subject: Re: 1812 Firearms in Canada
                                  > >
                                  > > My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in
                                  > USA! I
                                  > > love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a
                                  > Canadian
                                  > > 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker
                                  > shock. It is
                                  > > not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.)
                                  > bottle or can
                                  > > of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The

                                • Iain Burns
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 23 2:13 PM
                                    Hmm... all I know is the Yuengling I brought up to the NCO School went over smashin with the North o' the Border crowd last April.

                                    I considered bringing another case of it... and then picking up more Iron Duke on the other side.

                                    Aye,
                                    Iain
                                    1st RS Regt (Cent Coy)
                                    42nd RH Regt

> [...]

                                    > > I know Peter will come on about our beer being too cold for his
                                    > taste!
                                    > >
                                    > > KW/89
                                    > >

                                    > > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > From: Rogerheiple@...<mailto:Rogerheiple%40hotmail.com> <Rogerheiple%40hotmail.com>
                                    > > Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000
                                    > > Subject: Re: 1812 Firearms in Canada
                                    > >
                                    > > My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in
                                    > USA! I
                                    > > love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a
                                    > Canadian
                                    > > 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker
                                    > shock. It is
                                    > > not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.)
                                    > bottle or can
                                    > > of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The

                                  • Craig Williams
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 23 2:37 PM
                                      I'll agree with that! Yuengling and rolling rocks are both winners!
                                      I also like Sam Adams

                                      Craig Williams

                                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 23 3:17 PM
                                        I can confirm that having just enjoyed a bottle of Newcastle Brown, I can even get Theakstons' here but not quite as good as my old local pub, Massam is very close to Knaresborough!

                                        Aye,

                                        From: Rogerheiple@ hotmail.com

                                        Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000

                                        My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in USA! I love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a Canadian 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker shock. It is not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.) bottle or can of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The other option is the Duty Free store.

                                        Roger

                                        .

                                      • Tom Fournier
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 23 6:38 PM
                                          Our local is now stocking Spitfire on a regular basis!

                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...> wrote:

                                          > But at least the imported English beer in the LCBO will have some taste !!!!!!!!!!
                                          > Cheers,
                                          > Squire

                                        • Kevin Windsor
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 23 6:57 PM
                                            Actually John there are some places up here that you can get Sam Adams! I
                                            will readily admit that your micro brews are really good! I was turned on
                                            to Sam Adams almost 13 years ago on my honeymoon (went to DC) when we
                                            couldn't find a decent beer. The waiter suggested it and I have been hooked
                                            ever since! Sure beats Miller, Bud, or Pabst!

                                            Too bad you can't make the GT.

                                            KW

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 23 7:15 PM
                                              Kevin et alia,

                                              I know you can get Sam Adams up your way (although I haven't actually
                                              ever bought it in Canada, preferring to try Canadian products I don't
                                              usually see down here). I am curious about the legal considerations
                                              involved in bringing American micro-microbrewed beer into Canada in
                                              growlers, by which I mean bottles with screw caps, which are meant to be
                                              refilled numerous times at the brewery as they don't sell bottled beer with
                                              metal caps such as sold by most breweries both in the US and Canada (which
                                              is where the Sam Adams reference came into this), each container holding a
                                              half gallon (which is roughly 1.9 liters for those who refuse to acknowledge
                                              non-metric units of measure). Essentially, my concern is that because the
                                              growlers are not factory-sealed, Canadian customs might be hesitant to allow
                                              them into the country. Can anyone refresh me on the actual volume of
                                              alcohol I can bring across the border duty-free?

                                              On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Kevin Windsor
                                              <kevin.windsor@...>wrote:

                                              > Actually John there are some places up here that you can get Sam Adams! I
                                              > will readily admit that your micro brews are really good! I was turned on
                                              > to Sam Adams almost 13 years ago on my honeymoon (went to DC) when we
                                              > couldn't find a decent beer. The waiter suggested it and I have been hooked
                                              > ever since! Sure beats Miller, Bud, or Pabst!
                                              >
                                              > Too bad you can't make the GT.
                                              >
                                              > KW
                                              >
                                              > _____
                                              >
                                              > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                                              > WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf
                                              > Of John Ogden
                                              >
                                              > forward, I can now almost hear some of my
                                              > drinking/singing buddies asking me to bring some with me to Ft. Erie (can't
                                              > make the GT owing to work-related complications), so I will see if anyone
                                              > knows whether or not I can transport beer across the border in a container
                                              > other than the semi-hermetically sealed glass bottle such as in
                                              > which Smithwick's or Sam Adams are sold. Anyone got any information on
                                              > this? Anyone?

                                              John J. Ogden

                                            • HAROLD DENNISON
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 23 9:59 PM
                                                Yes.....and if you bring some more, I'll trade you some Keiths!
                                                I'm hoping to be able to find some Yuenglings this weekend in Mumford, NY (Genesee Village).

                                                Hal Dennison
                                                1-800-385-9630
                                                www.JustDreamLife.com

                                                I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

> [...]

                                                > > I know Peter will come on about our beer being too cold for his
                                                > taste!
                                                > >
                                                > > KW/89
                                                > >

                                                > > To: WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com<mailto:WarOf1812% 40yahoogroups. com> <WarOf1812%40yahoog roups.com>
                                                > > From: Rogerheiple@ hotmail.com<mailto:Rogerheiple %40hotmail. com> <Rogerheiple% 40hotmail. com>
                                                > > Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:14 +0000
                                                > > Subject: Re: 1812 Firearms in Canada
                                                > >
                                                > > My latest experience leads me to advise to purchase your beer in
                                                > USA! I
                                                > > love Canadian beer and was looking forward to my first visit to a
                                                > Canadian
                                                > > 'BEER' store and the LCBO. I left with two beers and sticker
                                                > shock. It is
                                                > > not unusual to spend over $2CND for a normal sized (~12 oz.)
                                                > bottle or can
                                                > > of beer. This is more than double what we spend in Michigan. The

                                              • whittakermp
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 24 5:39 AM
                                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John Ogden <johnjogden@...> wrote:

                                                  All,
                                                  While in the main I agree with Monty Python that as a rule American beer is like sex in a canoe, I have to defend some of my country's smaller brewers. Particularly, I would like to draw your attention to the Anchor, Penn Brewery, Victory and East End families of products...

                                                  Seems to me Pierre Berton once said something about Canadians being able to have sex in a canoe, so there may be hope for American beer. ;^)

                                                  May I recommend Wind and Sail brewed in Picton, Ontario for those who like a dark ale.

                                                  Michael Whittaker
                                                • whittakermp
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 24 5:43 AM
                                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                                                    > I can confirm that having just enjoyed a bottle of Newcastle Brown...

                                                    Fond memories returned of never being sober for late Thursday afternoon lectures in Canadian History 101 when my only other class of the day ended at Noon.

                                                    Michael Whittaker
                                                  • canoe@neptune.on.ca
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 24 8:06 AM
                                                      Actually, shortly before his death Mr. Burton corrected this oft mis-quoted
                                                      statement.... what he actually said was "any idiot can make love in a canoe,
                                                      it takes a Canadian to know that you should remove the centre thwart first."

                                                      And lest anyone forget, 1812 Lager by Sackett's Harbor Brewery is worth the
                                                      price of admission.........