New 1812 encampment - Paid Event

  • John Sek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hello Everyone,

      New War of 1812 Encampment - July 3 to 5, 2009 - Fort Erie

      All War of 1812 re-enactors are invited to participant at the Fort Erie Friendship Festival for the First Annual War of 1812 encampment.

      In order to start this off, this will be a paid event. Participants must register in advance. Each participating adult (except sutlers) will be paid a bounty of $50.00 Canadian. Interested sutlers must contact John Sek as detailed below.

      The encampment will be open on Friday, July 3 and will breakdown on Sunday, July 5, 2009.

      For the past 5 years we have held a cannon demonstration and mock battle with the Old Fort Staff at the festival, however this year will be our first onsite encampment. Everyone is invited to participate and help us make this a successful event.

      Features:
      * Shaded encampment area about 300m of the main festival event along the Niagara Parkway beside the Niagara River overlooking Buffalo, N.Y.
      * Water and wood.
      * Portable toilet facilities
      * Camp security

      Our goal is to have 50 men on the field with supporting camp followers where various activities will be planned accordingly.

      What we would like to see happen:

      Demonstrations:
      * Musket drill and firing
      * Cannon drill and firing (confirmed)
      * Infantry drill
      * Camp life
      * Blacksmith demonstration. (confirmed)
      * Battles and skirmishes. (confirmed)
      * Fourth of July Night time salute.

      The Friendship Festival is now celebrating their 23rd annual event. Their main event is a free outdoor music festival. Check out their website, http://www.friendshipfestival.com/index.html for scheduled events.

      Please note this is not being held at the Fort. The encampment is exactly 1 km north along the river from the Fort. Take last exit from QEW before USA to Central Avenue and turn right. Follow to end of road and turn right. Encampment is approximately 100m away on the left.

      Contact info:

      John Sek
      (905) 871-7449 home
      (289) 213-0873 cell
      jsek@...

      A registration page will be set up shortly, however in the meantime, please register your intention to participate by e-mail to < jsek@... > stating unit name, number attending and equipment (type and number of muskets, cannon, and tents) bringing to the event. Please advise if able to provide or suggest a demonstration activity.

      For those not able to join us this year, we love to hear from you about joining in next year.

      Best regards,

      John Sek mailto:jsek@...