Stoney Creek thank you

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
      Where to begin? There are so many people who helped make this weekend come together and make it a rousing success for all concerned!

      To all of you who came and participated -- our heartfelt thanks for making this event very special. The public was truly "wowed" by your friendliness and willingness to share your knowledge and experience. and the response to the artillery demonstrations, the pay parade, the other camp activities, and of course the battles was unanimously enthusiastically positive.

      Thanks to The Drums for yet another wonderful weekend of music, and to Mrs. Sgt. Maj. Monahan for a fine job done running the trading post for used articles.

      A special thanks from me to Mike and Grant of the 1st Lincoln Militia for your help directing tourist traffic and for managing battlefield security during the fireworks, with assistance from (and thanks also to) the young gentlemen from Westfield Heritage Village. Thanks also to the gentleman volunteer whose name I failed to get for helping me with the pre-battle tourist traffic patrol before the Saturday battle!

      To Mr. Fournier and the gentlemen of the 41st -- an enormous thank you for taking the young folks under your wing for the weekend and for allowing them the opportunity to get their feet wet in our time period. It's generous folks like you who are so instrumental in getting the next generation of re-enactors truly involved and excited about our great hobby, thereby ensuring that it flourishes. I owe you! :-)

      To the merchants who came -- thank you for going to all the trouble and effort that you do to put on a good show. I know how much work it can be to put together a period shop -- sometimes for very little reward -- and I truly appreciate your efforts.

      To the staff and volunteers of Battlefield House, and to my fellow members of the organizing committee -- congratulations on a job well done. It has, as always, been a privilege to work with you.

      I'm sure that I've forgotten people right, left, and centre -- please forgive me and put it down to a case of the post-weekend fuzzies!

      As always, we would love to get your feedback on the event and your suggestions for things that we could change, add, or improve for next year and as we ramp things up heading into 2013. The organizing committee will be having a roundup meeting to go over this year's event in a week or so, and we'd love to include any suggestions that you might have. These can be forwarded by email to me off-list at info(at)spencersmercantile.com, or to Battlefield House Curator Susan Ramsay at battlefield(at)hamilton.ca.

      Once again, thank you so much for coming and for making this just a great weekend!

      See you down the road at Port Dover and then the GT . . .
      -- Sioux
    • Rick Peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
        List,
        I would like to also add my thank you's to what Susan has already mentioned.
        I would like to further acknowledge those who helped out for Friday's History In Action Day, our narrators Jim Hill and Ron Dale, and those who religiously travel great distances, such as Col Trumbull and Ed Bolla.
        Finally, on behalf of the House Guard, we'd also like to thank all those who bolstered the US ranks, allowing us to take to the field on Saturday night as Royal Newfs.

        With very pleasant weather and enormous crowds, I feel it suffice to say this year's event was an unparalleled success.

        Thanks to all.

        Rick Peterson
        RNR/USMC Battlefield House Guard
      • Susan Spencer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
          (The following is proof positive that one should never write these things until one has had (a) enough sleep and (b) enough caffeine!)

          As I knew I would, I forgot several people who made very important contributions to the weekend. I'd like to extend both a tremendous thanks and an apology for my morning fuzziness to Larry Hanna, who once again took on the job of marshalling and traffic direction in the militia camp, to Sarah Reavley, who also manned the militia camp traffic job and in addition offered help on a wide variety of fronts, and to Les Szabo, who made an extra round trip from Orangeville to Stoney Creek to ensure that we had a cannon for Education Day. Your contributions are very, very much appreciated!

          Now off to set up an intravenous line for that caffeine . . . and probably to remember others to whom I owe thanks . . .
          -- Sioux