Re: Driving to Ft Meigs

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2009
      I live north of Detroit. My experience says Sarnia is much better than Winsor - from a speed, traffic & inspection perspective.

      Depending on what time you get across the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia, would determine the best route through Michigan. If you cross after 6:00 PM, you could take I-94 West (actually south) downtown Detroit where you switch to I-75 south. Before 6:00 PM, the I-69 west to 23 South, could be better but this route is at least 1/2 hour & 70 km longer without traffic.

      Yet another option is to take I-94 West, to I 696 West, to I-275 South to I-75. This avoids downtown but there can still a lot of traffic on I 696 West before 6:00 PM.

      Around Lake Erie is A LOT farther. Peace bridge might be a good crossing but I have never had re-enactor problems at the Blue Water. Unfortunately, its a crap shoot on wait times during evenings. I have waited 5 mins and 2 hours coming back on Sunday evenings from Canada. Lately it has been better.

      Roger

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...> wrote:

      > Gentlemen
      >
      > I have a Cdn passport (and US citizenship) no hernias, scrofula or other disfiguring marks and possess all 20 digits. MapQuest tells me that the route to Perrysberg, OH from the vicinity of Totonto (Ontario, Canada) is via Hwy 402 & Sarnia: 566 kms. The 401 & Windsor route appears to be 550 Kms.
      >
      > Anyone have any thoughts on the two routes and which might prove quicker on a Friday night?
      >
      > Respectfully
      >
      > Peter Monahan

    • HAROLD DENNISON
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2009
        I "always" cross at Detroit going to Fort Meigs and have "never" had a problem (touch wood). They are very reenactor friendly as well and have never even asked to see in my trailer (I am so screwed).
        I recommend you avoid crossing between 4 and 5 pm as this is generally rush hour after shift change in the auto plants. Even if you do, it's not like Toronto. The traffic actually moves and thins out fairly quickly.  :)
        You have to go through the traffic lights in Windsor but they are fairly well timed (to keep the trucks moving) and once you cross you're right onto I75S heading for Toledo.

        Hal Dennison
        1-800-385-9630
        www.JustDreamLife.com

        I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2009
          Take it from a guy who spent his teenage years in Detoit

          Take 401 from GTA
          Take the Windsor/Detroit Tunnel
          Turn right when exiting tunnel
          get in left lane
          Three blocks "TO ALL FREEWAYS"
          I75 South
          take 475/23 exit
          exit at 25
          follow signs to Fort Meigs
          29100 West River Road Perrysburg, Oh USA

          Yrs.,
          L2

          Message 4 of 14 , May 19, 2009
            For those of you coming to Fort Meigs from Canada and are planning to cross at Windsor / Detroit, I strongly suggest you view this road construction web site first: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/LaneClosure/index.cfm

            Based on my last weekend's trip to Raisin River in Monroe via downtown Detroit, I now recommend you travel I-94 through Det all the way to I-275. Then south on I-275 to I-75 south.

            You can use I-94 whether you cross at Sarnia or Windsor.

            Roger

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <Rogerheiple@...> wrote:

            > I live north of Detroit. My experience says Sarnia is much better than Winsor - from a speed, traffic & inspection perspective.
            >
            > Depending on what time you get across the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia, would determine the best route through Michigan. If you cross after 6:00 PM, you could take I-94 West (actually south) downtown Detroit where you switch to I-75 south. Before 6:00 PM, the I-69 west to 23 South, could be better but this route is at least 1/2 hour & 70 km longer without traffic.
            >
            > Yet another option is to take I-94 West, to I 696 West, to I-275 South to I-75. This avoids downtown but there can still a lot of traffic on I 696 West before 6:00 PM.
            >
            > Around Lake Erie is A LOT farther. Peace bridge might be a good crossing but I have never had re-enactor problems at the Blue Water. Unfortunately, its a crap shoot on wait times during evenings. I have waited 5 mins and 2 hours coming back on Sunday evenings from Canada. Lately it has been better.
            >
            > Roger
            >

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Gentlemen
            > >
            > > I have a Cdn passport (and US citizenship) no hernias, scrofula or other disfiguring marks and possess all 20 digits. MapQuest tells me that the route to Perrysberg, OH from the vicinity of Totonto (Ontario, Canada) is via Hwy 402 & Sarnia: 566 kms. The 401 & Windsor route appears to be 550 Kms.
            > >
            > > Anyone have any thoughts on the two routes and which might prove quicker on a Friday night?
            > >
            > > Respectfully
            > >
            > > Peter Monahan

          • Tom Fournier
            Message 5 of 14 , May 19, 2009
              Hi Roger

              Has something recently changed?

              We passed through this area a couple of times last summer with the I75 closed and it really presented no big problem.

              Even before the work you had to go through a bit of an adventure to pick I75 South.

              Thanks!

              Tom

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <Rogerheiple@...> wrote:

              > For those of you coming to Fort Meigs from Canada and are planning to cross at Windsor / Detroit, I strongly suggest you view this road construction web site first: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/LaneClosure/index.cfm
              >
              > Based on my last weekend's trip to Raisin River in Monroe via downtown Detroit, I now recommend you travel I-94 through Det all the way to I-275. Then south on I-275 to I-75 south.
              >
              > You can use I-94 whether you cross at Sarnia or Windsor.
              >
              > Roger
              >

              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <Rogerheiple@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I live north of Detroit. My experience says Sarnia is much better than Winsor - from a speed, traffic & inspection perspective.
              > >
              > > Depending on what time you get across the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia, would determine the best route through Michigan. If you cross after 6:00 PM, you could take I-94 West (actually south) downtown Detroit where you switch to I-75 south. Before 6:00 PM, the I-69 west to 23 South, could be better but this route is at least 1/2 hour & 70 km longer without traffic.
              > >
              > > Yet another option is to take I-94 West, to I 696 West, to I-275 South to I-75. This avoids downtown but there can still a lot of traffic on I 696 West before 6:00 PM.
              > >
              > > Around Lake Erie is A LOT farther. Peace bridge might be a good crossing but I have never had re-enactor problems at the Blue Water. Unfortunately, its a crap shoot on wait times during evenings. I have waited 5 mins and 2 hours coming back on Sunday evenings from Canada. Lately it has been better.
              > >
              > > Roger
              > >

              > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Gentlemen
              > > >
              > > > I have a Cdn passport (and US citizenship) no hernias, scrofula or other disfiguring marks and possess all 20 digits. MapQuest tells me that the route to Perrysberg, OH from the vicinity of Totonto (Ontario, Canada) is via Hwy 402 & Sarnia: 566 kms. The 401 & Windsor route appears to be 550 Kms.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone have any thoughts on the two routes and which might prove quicker on a Friday night?
              > > >
              > > > Respectfully
              > > >
              > > > Peter Monahan

            • Roger
              Message 6 of 14 , May 20, 2009
                I do not know how recently closure was (according to web site construction started 4/14/08), but construction is part of the Gateway project for new USA/Canada bridge.

                The part of I-75 South from split w/ I-96 to Clark street (Exit 47A) is 100% CLOSED. Detour sends you back up to I-94 then to Southfield or I-275 to get back on I-75.

                Using route below is quicker / easier than 'adventure'. Also, it gets you around lane closures, shifts etc. on I-75 that are south of Detroit and north of where I-275 meets I-75.

                The only risk is heavy traffic w/ airport.

                Roger

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

                > Hi Roger
                >
                > Has something recently changed?
                >
                > We passed through this area a couple of times last summer with the I75 closed and it really presented no big problem.
                >
                > Even before the work you had to go through a bit of an adventure to pick I75 South.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Tom
                >

                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <Rogerheiple@> wrote:
                > >
                > > For those of you coming to Fort Meigs from Canada and are planning to cross at Windsor / Detroit, I strongly suggest you view this road construction web site first: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/LaneClosure/index.cfm
                > >
                > > Based on my last weekend's trip to Raisin River in Monroe via downtown Detroit, I now recommend you travel I-94 through Det all the way to I-275. Then south on I-275 to I-75 south.
                > >
                > > You can use I-94 whether you cross at Sarnia or Windsor.
                > >
                > > Roger
                > >

                > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <Rogerheiple@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I live north of Detroit. My experience says Sarnia is much better than Winsor - from a speed, traffic & inspection perspective.
                > > >
                > > > Depending on what time you get across the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia, would determine the best route through Michigan. If you cross after 6:00 PM, you could take I-94 West (actually south) downtown Detroit where you switch to I-75 south. Before 6:00 PM, the I-69 west to 23 South, could be better but this route is at least 1/2 hour & 70 km longer without traffic.
                > > >
                > > > Yet another option is to take I-94 West, to I 696 West, to I-275 South to I-75. This avoids downtown but there can still a lot of traffic on I 696 West before 6:00 PM.
                > > >
                > > > Around Lake Erie is A LOT farther. Peace bridge might be a good crossing but I have never had re-enactor problems at the Blue Water. Unfortunately, its a crap shoot on wait times during evenings. I have waited 5 mins and 2 hours coming back on Sunday evenings from Canada. Lately it has been better.
                > > >
                > > > Roger

              • Tom Fournier
                Message 7 of 14 , May 20, 2009
                  Thanks

                  Sounds pretty much the same as late last summer.