Old Fort Erie

  • Jim Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2009
      Hello All
      There has been a change of leadership at Fort Erie.
      Peter Martin has jumped his bounty after only serving 16 of his 21 years with the regiment. We have not placed a bounty for his return since most in his company considered him - 'worn out'.

      Peter will be running military programming for Parks Canada at Fort George National Historic Site of Canada. We wish him well and know we will be working with him in the future.

      The new manager of Old Fort Erie will be Heather Gorman. Heather has spent seven years with Niagara Parks, three as the supervisor at the Laura Secord Homestead. Heather brings her MA in History, her tough Newfie and Irish roots, and ten years of working and volunteering for Parks Canada at Fort George National Historic Site of Canada. (Did you catch that switcheroo?)

      Please join me in wishing both of these excellent people the best of luck in their future endeavours.

      Jim Hill
    • Jim Hill
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2009
        I know you just survived the GT but here goes.

        The 23nd Annual Reenactment of The Siege of Fort Erie commemorating the 195th Anniversary is being held on August 8th & 9th. If your group or sutlery is not registered or you want to check out the schedule, go to www.oldforterie.com

        Only unit or group leaders should register but everyone should check
        out the Site Rules and Regulations at the bottom of the registration form. There are some helpful suggestions, like: 'as always don't camp near the 6th Foot Lights.' Updates are allowed from unit leaders and merchants, please indicate if it is an update. The registrations last year were spot on - thanks.

        The Merchants' Row will be returning to the location from 2008. The plastic cops will be out, so hide the junk or pay up.

        The battles at this event are free for the public and the Saturday
        night tour pays for most of this event. A big thank you
        to the die-hards who help out every year. Bottled water, musket
        ammo and libations for your mug (after the tour) will be available for those assisting with the tours. Suggestions and new ideas are welcome, feel free to fire them off before the event. If you haven't participated, you really have not done the siege. After the explosion of August 15, 1814, the artillery and musket fire intensified and the nasty work of the siege set in. The earlier bit before the explosion - that's the prelude to the bad stuff.

        Since this is the largest annual reenactment in Canada (it's true) there will be a PBS Documentary being shot and there will be a growing number of important people visiting to see if they really want to get involved in this upcoming Bicentennial thing. We don't want them detracting from your experience but be kind - they're new.

        People arrive earlier and leave later every year. No problem, just let the site staff know your plans.

        Thanks for your time and hope to see you at Fort Erie in a few weeks.
        Jim
      • a10rca
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23 6:11 AM
          Hello Folks
          July 1st we will be opening our visitor centre at Old Fort Erie.
          It is a public open house, so feel free to join us next Friday from 11am - 5pm.
          If you come in kit, we might put you to work.
        • Liz Webb

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23 7:55 AM
              As long as you can dig.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23 8:01 AM
                Mmm...become a rabbit, interesting thought. I suppose as a woman we can dig as well as any man, mind you wearing a dress my prove interesting, thanks.