Re: 1812 41st gorget on eBay

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 2:49 PM
      Michael:
      I hay me doots! COPPER gorget??? No Royal Cypher??? Regimental
      Number??? None of these characteristics are typical of gorgets. And -
      the regimental number appears to have been applied, rather than
      stamped. It is also poorly done. Neither the "4", nor the "!" are the
      usual design for identification on 41st regimental items.
      As for "Jedborough" - what a ruin in Scotland, and the poetry of
      Wordsworth have to do with the 41st is impossible to say.
      Also, I believe that by 1812 gorgets were being used less and less, if
      at all.
      From my archaelogical experience, I know that it is not too difficult
      to create "ancient" stuff. One of the most important things missing
      from the item description is provenance. Where was it found, under what
      circumstances, and by whom - absolute essentials for the identification
      of such items. If these questions can be answered satisfactorily, I
      might take a closer look.
      As you said "caveat emptor" - and I would add to that - be informed.
      My two cents' worth.
      Ray
      41st Regt