OT (somewhat) Query: Cannon Muzzles in the Ground

  • Luthien Tinuviel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      This question was posted on the Fife and Drum list I am on.  I've personally never seen this before, but maybe some of you have?  Any thoughts?

      Thanks on behalf of my friends in the music world,

      Beck
      89th

      Woodward, Walter wrote:

      The town of Eastford Conservation & Historical Preservation Commission has a question re: the grave of General Lyons, the first Union general killed in the Civil War. His funeral in Eastford may have been the single largest event ever held in town with thousands of people in attendance.

      The gravesite includes 2 cannon that are 1/2 buried, muzzle down. The town is concerned that after 150 years these cannon may be badly disintegrated below ground. They are curious as to the signifigance of the cannon, and assume that this was some sort of universal symbol of a fallen soldier killed in battle, of rank, or both. Do you know or can you shed any light on this? They do not want to disturb the cannon if this is the case. Thanks in advance, Steve

      Steve Broderick, Connecticut Forest & Park Association
      Forester & Program Director
      Goodwin Forest Conservation Education Center
      CT Department of Environmental Protection
      23 Potter Road Hampton, CT 06247
      (860) 455-9534 (T)
      (860) 455-9857 (F)
      sbroderick@...<mailto:sbroderick@...>