  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 1:39 AM
      Lasies and Gentlemen,

      Please raise your glasses to His Grace the Field Marshal Arthur
      Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, KP, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS. on this
      the 240th Anniversary of the his birth in Dublin.

      Britain's greatest General.

      *(*

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 7:58 AM
        Here Here Peter,
        I would only add a slight caveat about the greatest general (and you know I
        am a great Wellington fan) but he did have to withdraw from one siege,
        though he came back and took the place later.

        I think even the Great Duke himself would give the nod as greatest general
        to John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.

        Cheers,

        Tim
        **************Join ChristianMingle.com® FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
        your area. Start now!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221673648x1201419171/aol?redir=http://www.christianmingle.com/campaign.html%3Fcat%3Dadbuy%26
        src%3Dplatforma%26adid%3Dfooter:050109%26newurl%3Dreg_path.html)

      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 8:27 AM
          Respectfully disagree! but the discussion could go on for years
          without the slightest hope of a settlement, but I concede that
          Wellington was a rotten Prime Minister.

          *(*

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 9:41 AM
            In a message dated 5/1/2009 10:28:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
            peter.catley@... writes:

            but I concede that
            Wellington was a rotten Prime Minister.

            ------------------------------------

            Well, it seems we disagree again Peter!

            If he did nothing else during his time as PM his passage of the Catholic
            Emancipation Act against great oposition is, I think, one of the greatest
            acts by a great PM. He had the wisdom and vision to remove a vile injustice
            forced upon true born Englishmen by trators so intransigent in their self
            interest as to crown a foreigner over their true and native king.

            This of course is when Wellington got his nickname 'The Iron Duke' because
            of the iron shutters he had put up at Apley House to prevent the mob
            breaking his windows in proest.

            As you know Henry Benedict, Cardinal York (nee Stuart, known to
            legitemists as Henry IX) willed the Scotish crown jewels to George III upon his death
            in Rome in 1805.

            Cheers,

            Tim the contentious :-)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1 10:08 AM
              Umm........don't think we're going to agree! the emancipation was long
              long over due although there is still residual prejudice he was a
              reactionary and too Conservative for me.

              *(*