Re: 1812 Staff appointment welcomed

  • HAROLD DENNISON
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
      Aye but it's an even greater pleasure to share a dram wi' them!  :)
      I add my congratulations to the list, Sir.

      Hal Dennison
      1-800-385-9630
      www.JustDreamLife.com

      I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
        In a message dated 4/2/2009 5:32:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        kevin.windsor@... writes:

        <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private
        and
        me a lowly corporal!>>
        Now Kevin,

        You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
        never do!

        JG/RE

        **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

      • Kevin Garrett
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

          > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>

          > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
          > never do!
          >
          >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!

          All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable re-enactor for the job .

          Kevin
          Royal Scots Grens

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
            In a message dated 4/3/2009 4:00:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
            ray.hobbs@... writes:

            I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
            the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
            In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
            Colonel. Go figure.

            ------------

            Ah Ray, this is one I can tell you about. Collar rank was very strange in
            that, with only two badges to use, in order to determine rank one must also look
            at the gold lace edging of the collar. All collars were laced around the
            front and collar but field officers also had lace on the bottom of the collar so
            junior officers, with no lace on the bottom:
            Ensign/ 2nd Lt. a single Bath star (pip)
            Lieutenant a single crown
            Captain a star and crown

            Field officers, with lace at the bottom of the collar:
            Major a single Bath star (pip)
            Lt. Colonel a single crown
            Colonel a star and crown

            So he is probably corectly badged for a captain. It was only when the rank
            badges were moved to the shoulder straps/cords that 3 'pips' became the badges
            for a captain.

            The other situation seems most strange although if Shortt had a higher army
            rank than his regimental rank he would certainly be allowed to wear that rank
            with his regimentals.
            Another posibility is that if he reached that rank later in life he might
            have had the artist go back and 'update' his picture. I have seen this done on
            the portrait of the French General Rapp in the museum at Colmar. He is
            depicted in the late revolutionary/early Imperial generals uniform with red collar
            and cuffs but has all of his orders and decorations including those of
            Royalist France post 1815!

            Have you had a look at the picture under a black light?

            Cheers,

            Tim

            **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
            with TaxACT.
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220714320x1201367638/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
              Ah, Kevin. Let me wade into this confusion.

              As Captain I held a substantive rank, i.e. at the time I would have
              been "gazetted". That means the rank would have been recognised by
              Horse Guards and published. It would have been recognised by both the
              Regiment, and HG. My command would have been a company within the
              regiment.
              Upon retirement from said position, I was granted the signal honour
              (note the word) of being appointed, by the 41st MLHG, as Honorary
              Colonel. It is purely an advisory role, and was a flattering
              recognition of my contribution to the 41st. I could swan around in my
              new epaulettes, and be completely ignored by the rank and file. Captain
              Fournier is their CO, and I would not assume to command the regiment on
              the field.
              Having retired from field command, I would technically be said to have
              been a half-pay captain.
              Now, having been called out of retirement to serve as Col. Williams'
              AdC, I have been granted the army rank of Major. Whether the 41st
              recognise that rank or not within their structure is entirely their
              decision. But I have it on the highest authority that my honorary rank
              still holds.
              I will note that during the War of 1812, William Shortt held two ranks
              - Captain (Regimental) and Lieutenant Colonel (Army).
              Just to confuse the issue, in the Canadas during the War of 1812 there
              was the practice of "local rank" in which a regular army captain
              automatically outranked a local militia officer when serving in that
              militia officer's county. Captain (Brevet Major) Adam Muir of the 41st
              held for a brief time the rank of Lieutenant Colonel when commanding
              some militia units. As soon as he returned to his HQ or regular
              posting, the rank was removed. For these local ranks there was no
              increase in pay.
              Just to confuse matters even further, badges of rank were, shall we
              say, interesting. I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
              the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
              In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
              Colonel. Go figure.
              I also have a copy of a painting of William Shortt, wearing a uniform
              of the 24th Foot, just before he transferred to the 41st - he is
              wearing a major's epaulettes. This is a rank he never held in either
              regiment. Again, go figure.
              Now, I am sure you are still confused - but at a much higher level. :-)

              But seriously folks (ugh!) - thank you all who have offered
              congratulations.
              Yr Humble and Obdt Svt
              Ray H

              On 3-Apr-09, at 3:11 PM, Kevin Garrett wrote:

              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:
              > >
              > > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a
              > private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>
              >

              > > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the
              > rankers will
              > > never do!
              > >
              > >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and
              > when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an
              > HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR
              > but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!
              >
              > All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable
              > re-enactor for the job .
              >
              > Kevin
              > Royal Scots Grens

            • Kevin Garrett
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 4, 2009
                > > re-enactor for the job .

                Dear CaptainColonelMajorCaptain Hobbs AdeC,

                >>Thank you Sir for elucidating the fuzzification!

                See what I mean about him being knowledgeable, folks?

                Kevin
                MCpl '76/Capt '89/A/Maj '03/ Ret'd '06 CF Reserve
                Playing a grunt Infantry Pioneer and Haberdasher to those of refined taste.
                Royal Scots Grens