Staff appointment welcomed

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
      Mr. Hobbs,

      Would that I were able to say "Let me be the first to congratulate you!" but, alas the best I can do is to be the sixth or seventh to do so. Neverthelesss, my feelings are sincere and deeply held. I should also take the oppurtuinity to tell you, should you not be aware of it, how lucky you are to work with that epitome of military virtue, the brave, the able, the modest Colonel Williams.

      Yr most obedient, sir

      Sergeant Major Toady

      PS: will you be joing us at the NCO School, ABOUT WHICH WE HAVE HEARD SO MUCH of late? :7)
    • Victor Suthren
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
        Mr Hobbs and Mr Williams are very fine men indeed. It's a pleasure to share a hobby with them.

        Vic Suthren

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
          How passive agressive of you! Should you not already be at the fort waiting for the men to get there so you can tell them how late they really are!!

          KW

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
            Congratulations Major Hobbs!!

            Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private and
            me a lowly corporal!

            KW

            89th

            _____

            From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            Of Craig Williams

            With permission of Brig. Gen. Twist,

            I would like to forward the following announcement to the members of
            the Crown Forces and the reenactment community of the North American
            War (1812).

            Effective immediately, Ray Hobbs, Hon. Col. 41st, (having stepped
            down from active field command in the same regiment),
            has agreed to take on the duties and responsibilities of Aide de
            Camp, (with the Army rank of Major), to Lt. Col. Williams.

          • HAROLD DENNISON
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
              Aye but it's an even greater pleasure to share a dram wi' them!  :)
              I add my congratulations to the list, Sir.

              Hal Dennison
              1-800-385-9630
              www.JustDreamLife.com

              I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                In a message dated 4/2/2009 5:32:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                kevin.windsor@... writes:

                <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private
                and
                me a lowly corporal!>>
                Now Kevin,

                You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                never do!

                JG/RE

                **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

              • Kevin Garrett
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                  > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>

                  > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the rankers will
                  > never do!
                  >
                  >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!

                  All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable re-enactor for the job .

                  Kevin
                  Royal Scots Grens

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                    In a message dated 4/3/2009 4:00:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    ray.hobbs@... writes:

                    I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                    the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                    In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                    Colonel. Go figure.

                    ------------

                    Ah Ray, this is one I can tell you about. Collar rank was very strange in
                    that, with only two badges to use, in order to determine rank one must also look
                    at the gold lace edging of the collar. All collars were laced around the
                    front and collar but field officers also had lace on the bottom of the collar so
                    junior officers, with no lace on the bottom:
                    Ensign/ 2nd Lt. a single Bath star (pip)
                    Lieutenant a single crown
                    Captain a star and crown

                    Field officers, with lace at the bottom of the collar:
                    Major a single Bath star (pip)
                    Lt. Colonel a single crown
                    Colonel a star and crown

                    So he is probably corectly badged for a captain. It was only when the rank
                    badges were moved to the shoulder straps/cords that 3 'pips' became the badges
                    for a captain.

                    The other situation seems most strange although if Shortt had a higher army
                    rank than his regimental rank he would certainly be allowed to wear that rank
                    with his regimentals.
                    Another posibility is that if he reached that rank later in life he might
                    have had the artist go back and 'update' his picture. I have seen this done on
                    the portrait of the French General Rapp in the museum at Colmar. He is
                    depicted in the late revolutionary/early Imperial generals uniform with red collar
                    and cuffs but has all of his orders and decorations including those of
                    Royalist France post 1815!

                    Have you had a look at the picture under a black light?

                    Cheers,

                    Tim

                    **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
                    with TaxACT.
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220714320x1201367638/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                      Ah, Kevin. Let me wade into this confusion.

                      As Captain I held a substantive rank, i.e. at the time I would have
                      been "gazetted". That means the rank would have been recognised by
                      Horse Guards and published. It would have been recognised by both the
                      Regiment, and HG. My command would have been a company within the
                      regiment.
                      Upon retirement from said position, I was granted the signal honour
                      (note the word) of being appointed, by the 41st MLHG, as Honorary
                      Colonel. It is purely an advisory role, and was a flattering
                      recognition of my contribution to the 41st. I could swan around in my
                      new epaulettes, and be completely ignored by the rank and file. Captain
                      Fournier is their CO, and I would not assume to command the regiment on
                      the field.
                      Having retired from field command, I would technically be said to have
                      been a half-pay captain.
                      Now, having been called out of retirement to serve as Col. Williams'
                      AdC, I have been granted the army rank of Major. Whether the 41st
                      recognise that rank or not within their structure is entirely their
                      decision. But I have it on the highest authority that my honorary rank
                      still holds.
                      I will note that during the War of 1812, William Shortt held two ranks
                      - Captain (Regimental) and Lieutenant Colonel (Army).
                      Just to confuse the issue, in the Canadas during the War of 1812 there
                      was the practice of "local rank" in which a regular army captain
                      automatically outranked a local militia officer when serving in that
                      militia officer's county. Captain (Brevet Major) Adam Muir of the 41st
                      held for a brief time the rank of Lieutenant Colonel when commanding
                      some militia units. As soon as he returned to his HQ or regular
                      posting, the rank was removed. For these local ranks there was no
                      increase in pay.
                      Just to confuse matters even further, badges of rank were, shall we
                      say, interesting. I have a copy of a miniature of Frederick Bligh of
                      the 41st, who retired in 1856 with the rank of Captain (Brevet Major).
                      In the painting he is wearing the collar badges of rank of a Lieutenant
                      Colonel. Go figure.
                      I also have a copy of a painting of William Shortt, wearing a uniform
                      of the 24th Foot, just before he transferred to the 41st - he is
                      wearing a major's epaulettes. This is a rank he never held in either
                      regiment. Again, go figure.
                      Now, I am sure you are still confused - but at a much higher level. :-)

                      But seriously folks (ugh!) - thank you all who have offered
                      congratulations.
                      Yr Humble and Obdt Svt
                      Ray H

                      On 3-Apr-09, at 3:11 PM, Kevin Garrett wrote:

                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > <<Sniff. . . sniff. . . and to think I knew him when he was just a
                      > private > and> me a lowly corporal!>>
                      >

                      > > You're are showing your commoner roots there! Up age from the
                      > rankers will
                      > > never do!
                      > >
                      > >> Ummmm....so let me get this right: Mr. Hobbs WAS a private and
                      > when I met him he was a CAPTAIN and then he retired and became an
                      > HONORARY LIEUTENANT COLONEL and then he got an appointment as a MAJOR
                      > but he'll be wearing the uniform of a CAPTAIN .....I'M SO CONFUSED!?!
                      >
                      > All joking aside, I cannot think of a more refined and knowledgeable
                      > re-enactor for the job .
                      >
                      > Kevin
                      > Royal Scots Grens

                    • Kevin Garrett
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 4, 2009
                        > > re-enactor for the job .

                        Dear CaptainColonelMajorCaptain Hobbs AdeC,

                        >>Thank you Sir for elucidating the fuzzification!

                        See what I mean about him being knowledgeable, folks?

                        Kevin
                        MCpl '76/Capt '89/A/Maj '03/ Ret'd '06 CF Reserve
                        Playing a grunt Infantry Pioneer and Haberdasher to those of refined taste.
                        Royal Scots Grens