boxes and shipping supplies

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 19, 2009
      Mark:
      Further digging in my files has revealed the following. I have a
      photocopy of

      "Invoice of Sundry Merchandize forwarded by Buxtion McCullough on the
      account of Mr. Samuel Thompson Merchant of Niagara, marked and numbered
      in Margin" It is dated October 1799. It is from the National Archive in
      Ottawa, MG24 D108. I believe McCullough was a London merchant.

      The whole is three and a half pages, legal size documents, with small,
      neat handwriting. The amount of stuff is astounding, and the quality of
      the items listed gives the lie to the notion that these early settlers
      were at all backward or primitive. That they certainly were not.

      It would take too long to copy out all of the list, but the marginal
      notes refer to the packaging of the materials. The list includes Bales,
      Barrels, Casks, Loose, Trk (Trunk), Case, Chest (for tea only), Box.
      The cost of the stuff is a grand 677 sterling, one shilling and ten and
      three quarter pence.

      It is fascinating to see what went into which type of container.
      Barrels and casks were used for wine, spirits, nails, tobacco, sugar,
      barley. Trunks and cases were used for cloth materials, peppermint,
      mugs, hinges and mustard; Boxes for soap, spices and flints.

      If you are interested in this I can bring a copy to the dinner on
      Saturday evening.

      Ray