Hats

  • George
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 14, 2009
      CockedHats.com the leader in authentic eighteenth century hats for men is now offering a line of hats from 1790 through 1850 at:

      http://cockedhats.com

      We look forward to your business and your inquiries.

      Cheers,

      Geo. Franks, Hatter
      http://cockedhats.com
    • George
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 9, 2009
        I have updated my web site and expanded my offerings.

        See

        http://cockedhats.com

        Contact me OFF LINE with any questions or inquiries.

        Thank you.

        Cheers,

        Geo. Franks, Hatter
        http://cockedhats.com
      • gffranks3
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 18, 2009
          Now through Nov 1 we are offering

          10% off

          on our Eonomy Model hats

          and our post-Revolutionionary War (after 1783) style hats.

          See our web site:
          http://cockedhats.com

          Cheers,
          Geo. Franks, Hatter
          http://cockedhats.com
        • gffranks3
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 10, 2009
            We have updated our web site.

            See

            http://cockedhats.com

            For recreated military, naval and civilian cocked hats and other styles from the 18th and early 19th centuries.

            Cheers,

            Geo. Franks, Hatter
            http://cockedhats.com
            gffranks3@...
          • gffranks3
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 15, 2009
              CockedHats.com is offering 10% off the prices of all our Economy Line hats until December 1, 2009.
              Note: shipping within the USA is already included in our prices.
              See our web site
              http://cockedhats.com
              for information on the styles (1745-1853) of Economy Line hats available from CockedHats.com

              Cheers,

              Geo. Franks, Hatter
              http://cockedhats.com
            • michaeldrouillard
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 8, 2009
                I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.

                As always, opinions are welcome.

                Thanks

                Mike Drouillard
                Glens
              • Coolbogey@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Check with Dirty Billy he sometimes has the most period correct straw hats
                  . Mark

                • jbwhittaker
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 8, 2009
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" drouillard_summit@...> wrote:

                    I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off.

                    Hi Mike,
                    You could try Cophlin and Upton at http://www.coghlinandupton.com/
                    Last I looked they sold a straw hat that may do.
                    Regards,
                    Bruce Whittaker
                  • shayna121
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 8, 2009
                      I'll admit I don't know as much about Fencible Regiments as Regular Infantry, but wouldn't a Regimental Cap and a forage cap be the only appropriate headgear for a soldier?

                      Chris McKay

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@...> wrote:

                      > I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.
                      >
                      > As always, opinions are welcome.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Mike Drouillard
                      > Glens

                    • michaeldrouillard
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
                        Hey Chris, you are probably right. I think realistically the average guy probably had a good farmers tan/sunburn and thats about it.

                        As re-enactors there is always a balance between authenticity and comfort/safety (ie: glasses/tent/chairs/lantern stands)and everyone has a different "comfrot zone". I just think we should aproach it from the angle that "if I have to compromise, what is the best ballance"? Everyone is in a different situation and maybe for some a cheap *insert whatever* just to get started is good enough and they can "upgrade" later. As a community I think we need to focus less on nit picking and more on mentoring new people. I am not suggesting that Chris's statement was nit picking (it was bang on actually) I am only making a general statement about attitudes within the hobby. I would hate to see a new person chassed away because of anal retentive attitudes. Just a thought....

                        Anyway, I have all of my main stream equipment and over the winter I slowly want to "pimp my kit" and fill in the gaps. Every time I go to an event I think "crap I wish I had a...." and then forget to do anything about it. Eventually I want to solve storage issues and maybe gather some of the more unique items ie: bed roll, tools etc.

                        If anybody has a clever item or other doccumentation describing possible solutions it would be great if they could upload pics/info to the site here. This has been a great source for info and I appreciate the opportunity to cross polinate ideas.

                        Mike Drouillard
                        Glens.

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "shayna121" <PrivateCannon@...> wrote:

                        > I'll admit I don't know as much about Fencible Regiments as Regular Infantry, but wouldn't a Regimental Cap and a forage cap be the only appropriate headgear for a soldier?
                        >
                        > Chris McKay
                        >
                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.
                        > >
                        > > As always, opinions are welcome.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > >
                        > > Mike Drouillard
                        > > Glens

                      • lenthecooper
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
                          Hello All,

                          Has anyone come across a period reference either written, painted or drawn of a straw hat worn by men in North America, other than naval personnel? I've been casually looking for the past few years and it would appear that other than white felt hats for the army in hot climes, even farmers seem to be wearing black or brown felt.

                          I'm not trying to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here, but wonder if straw hats are not appropriate to our period?

                          Cheers,

                          Len

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@...> wrote:

                          > I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.
                          >
                          > As always, opinions are welcome.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Mike Drouillard
                          > Glens

                        • michaeldrouillard
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
                            Hey Len,

                            Do you have any refferences for the felt hats that you speak of? ie: sizes/styles/decorative items on them etc....

                            I imagine anything would have been improvised/hand made by the person or bought on the local economy, even more so for someone in a fencible unit (like the Glens).

                            Cheers,

                            Mike Drouillard

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lenthecooper" <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

                            > Hello All,
                            >
                            > Has anyone come across a period reference either written, painted or drawn of a straw hat worn by men in North America, other than naval personnel? I've been casually looking for the past few years and it would appear that other than white felt hats for the army in hot climes, even farmers seem to be wearing black or brown felt.
                            >
                            > I'm not trying to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here, but wonder if straw hats are not appropriate to our period?
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Len
                            >
                            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.
                            > >
                            > > As always, opinions are welcome.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks
                            > >
                            > > Mike Drouillard
                            > > Glens

                          • jbwhittaker
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@...> wrote:
                              I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off.
                              Mike Drouillard
                              Glens

                              Check out the art work of Willaim Pyne. He is one of the few period artists who featured common working people. You may get a few ideas from his work.
                              A much later reference for soldiers adopting non regulation hats can be seen in the York Simcoe Battalion who went west during the Red River Rebellion. They had a photographer with them and there are photos of the off duty soldiers wearing a variety of wide brimmed "cowboy" hats.
                              Darcy Murray of The Old Forester Books in Barrie has a number of the photos.
                              Regards,
                              Bruce Whittaker
                            • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
                                I have to find the source of this quote and it will haunt me until I do so but one of the early "travel writers" visiting Upper Canada talked of visiting Amherstburg, "famous for straw hats, turkeys, negroes, rattlesnakes and loyalty." Clearly straw hats were around and I again have vague recollections of early images of common men with broad brimmed flat straw hats. I will have to look for those now as well. However, while an officer off duty may have affected one, a common soldier was not likely to do so. With his spare shoes, stockings, shirts, breeches, housewife, cleaning material, towel etc in his pack, what shape would a straw hat be in at the end of a day's march after being crammed in with his other gear? I suggest that the forage cap will keep the head covered in the hot sun and a tree will provide shade when off duty. A GLIF gent might have had his trusty blue bonnet tucked away and these are quite comfortable in the hot sun. At an event I would suggest that the "soldier" get out of uniform before donning period civies if he wishes to sport a straw hat. Straw hats that look like those in the images that I recall are exactly like those made by/for traditional Mennonites.

                                ron

                                Do you have any refferences for the felt hats that you speak of? ie: sizes/styles/decorative items on them etc....

                                I imagine anything would have been improvised/hand made by the person or bought on the local economy, even more so for someone in a fencible unit (like the Glens).

                                Cheers,

                                Mike Drouillard

                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lenthecooper" <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

                                > Hello All,
                                >
                                > Has anyone come across a period reference either written, painted or drawn of a straw hat worn by men in North America, other than naval personnel? I've been casually looking for the past few years and it would appear that other than white felt hats for the army in hot climes, even farmers seem to be wearing black or brown felt.
                                >
                                > I'm not trying to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here, but wonder if straw hats are not appropriate to our period?
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Len
                                >
                                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "michaeldrouillard" <drouillard_summit@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I am on the hunt for a decent hat and I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas/sugestions. Specifically I want something period apropriate to keep the sun off. I have seen lots of the Civil War style straw hat but I want something more correct then that.
                                > >
                                > > As always, opinions are welcome.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > >
                                > > Mike Drouillard
                                > > Glens

                              • lenthecooper
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 11, 2009
                                  Hello All,

                                  I've seen a number of 1830s references and comments on straw hats and bonnets and by that time the straw hats coming out of Lancashire were well established. Straw hats for women are documented in the earlier century, but for men in our period (1812-15) there doesn't seem to be much information at all. Photos of straw hats seem to be in every rural photograph since the time they were first being taken, but as this first happens about forty years after our period we should not include them in our discussion.

                                  I agree that it seems that this type of headwear would be a normal item for a farm labourer or itinerant worker to wear during the summer months, but I'm a 21st C person with my own bias and perspective on summerwear. Perhaps someone has come across a period advertisment selling these items?

                                  It is always possible that straw hats are being made at the home of a farmer during the winter for their own use, but can anyone find a mention of this anywhere? This of course leads me to think that if they're making one why not more and selling them at market?

                                  If George from Cocked Hats is lurking, I'd love to hear his professional perspective on this discussion.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Len
                                • jlischka
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 12, 2009
                                    Given that straw hats were commonly worn in summer by men and women in Europe since ancient Greek times, it doesn't seem likely that they would not have been used in North America in the 18th century, particularly in the warmer climes. Straw hats were issued to British soldiers, sailors and marines serving in the West Indies during the 1780's and 1790's.

                                    According to an exerpt on straw hats from Wikipedia; "Straw hats have been worn consistently in Europe and Asia in the Summer since antiquity, and arguably are the least-changed form of headgear, since many medieval examples would draw no special attention if worn today. Many are to be seen in the famous calendar miniatures of the Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry, worn by all classes, mostly by men."

                                    We also read in a volume titled The Hat Story, published by the British Hat Guild, that: "It was the availability of straw in the Bedfordshire area that led to the development of the hat industry and plaiting schools throughout the Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire counties. Governments in their times, in order to promote supplementary and alternative industry in agricultural areas, often tried to replicate the plaiting schools in other parts of the United Kingdom, unfortunately without success. By the 17th century the industry of straw hat making was firmly established in the "Beds, Bucks. and Herts" area. In 1689 when the straw hat makers were petitioning against a Bill to encourage the wearing of woollen headwear there were already over 14000 people in the Luton and Dunstable area alone living solely by making straw hats."

                                    If the straw hat industry was so well established at home, it isn't beyond the realm of reason to suggest that some of these skills made it to Canada, assuming there was straw in Canada in the late 18th century. Straw plaiting was a skill that farm women simply learned growing up, which would argue against a commercial trade in straw items.

                                    Respectfully,
                                    Joseph the Chandler

                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lenthecooper" <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello All,
                                    >
                                    > I've seen a number of 1830s references and comments on straw hats and bonnets and by that time the straw hats coming out of Lancashire were well established. Straw hats for women are documented in the earlier century, but for men in our period (1812-15) there doesn't seem to be much information at all. Photos of straw hats seem to be in every rural photograph since the time they were first being taken, but as this first happens about forty years after our period we should not include them in our discussion.
                                    >
                                    > I agree that it seems that this type of headwear would be a normal item for a farm labourer or itinerant worker to wear during the summer months, but I'm a 21st C person with my own bias and perspective on summerwear. Perhaps someone has come across a period advertisment selling these items?
                                    >
                                    > It is always possible that straw hats are being made at the home of a farmer during the winter for their own use, but can anyone find a mention of this anywhere? This of course leads me to think that if they're making one why not more and selling them at market?
                                    >
                                    > If George from Cocked Hats is lurking, I'd love to hear his professional perspective on this discussion.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Len

                                  • George
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 21 11:09 AM
                                      Join reenactors, public historians, craftsmen, impersonators, museums and other historians by topping off your impression with one of our hats.
                                      Visit our web site:
                                      http://cockedhats.com
                                      If you do not see it, contact us directly (do not "reply" here):
                                      gffranks3@...

                                      We look forward to crafting a hat for you.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Geo. Franks, Hatter
                                      http://cockedhats.com
                                    • George
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 12, 2011
                                        10% off any of our Hand Sewn or Machine Sewn hats when you order using Code "YG"
                                        now through February 28, 2011.

                                        We offer wool and fur felt hats for men, women and boys.

                                        Visit our web site:
                                        http://cockedhats. com

                                        Cheers,

                                        Geo. Franks, Hatter
                                      • Shami Razzaq
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 12, 2011
                                          we offer hats.look on our webpage.www.modernbadge.com
                                        • George
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 25, 2011
                                            Hats…

                                            Wool and fur felt hats for men and women.

                                            Hand crafted and sewn plus machine sewn styles available.

                                            See our web site:
                                            http://cockedhats.com

                                            Or contact us with your needs.

                                            Cocked hats our specialty.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Geo. Franks, Hatter
                                          • George
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 8, 2011
                                              10% off all men's and women's handsewn and machine sewn hats. Now through April 18, 2011. Use order code "TX".

                                              We offer wool and fur felt hats 1700 - 1920.

                                              Visit our web site:
                                              http://cockedhats.com

                                              If you do not see what you want, contact us directly (see last page of our web site).

                                              Cheers,

                                              Geo. Franks, Hatter
                                            • George
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 15, 2011
                                                We offer wool felt and fur felt hats:
                                                Cocked hats
                                                Fore and aft hats
                                                Shakos
                                                Round hats
                                                Tall hats
                                                Naval hats

                                                Hand sewn and machine sewn hats.

                                                Visit our web site:
                                                http://cockedhats.com

                                                If you do not see what you need, contact us directly.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Geo. Franks, Hatter
                                                http://cockedhats.com