Impressment

  • mimathews@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2009
      Impressment wasn't just a problem for other nations.  I just finished reading Storm and Conquest by Stephen Taylor about the Eastern Seas in 1809-10.  When the big convoys of Indianmen sailed for England they had been pressed to the point where some of them were under crewed by as much as 40%.  When an unusually vicious hurricane season developed seven were lost along with millions of pound sterling in cargo from India.  Translated to today's values it was a horrendous financial loss.

      So it didn't just piss off Americans.  And when I'm interacting with the public I tell them that both the United States and Great Britain were acting within their legal system.  You cannot decide who is right in a court of law where one system says, "born a Briton, always a Briton," and "you're a free man, if you want to be an American you're an American!".  All you can do is hopefully reach an accord.

      Michael