Dydd Gwyl Dewi

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
      Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
      background?

      Yrs.,
      L2 :^)

      -- Ray Hobbs wrote:

      Diolch Ioann!

      We ... plan leak soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the
      agenda for today too.... Happy St David's Day, and, of course Cymu am
      byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
    • Victor Suthren

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
          My grandfather (Royal Welch Fusiliers in the Boer War, Wesleyan lay preacher, spoke no English until he emigrated to Canada) used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up even if he was well into his umpteenth beer. Someone once said of the Welsh in rugby that you could score more points than the Welsh, but you never defeated them. Cymru am byth.....

          Vic Suthren

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
            "Men of Harlick"

            Wele goelcerth wen yn fflamio
            A thafodau tan yn bloeddio,
            Ar I'r dewrion ddod I daro,
            Unwaith eto n un:
            Gan fanllefau'r tywysogion
            Llais gelynion, trwst arfogion,
            A charlamiad y marchogion,
            Craig ar graig a grbn!
            Arfon byth ni orfydd.
            Cenir yn dragywydd;
            Cymru fydd fel Cymru fu,
            Yn glodus ymysg gwledydd,
            'Nghwyn oleuni'r goelcerth acw,
            Tros wefusau Cymro'n marw,
            Annibyniaeth sydd yn galw,
            Am ei dewraf dyn.

            Hark I hear the foe advancing
            Barbed steeds are proudly prancing,
            Helmets in the sunbeams glancing
            Symru fo am byth
            Men of Harlech lie ye dreaming?
            See ye not their falchions gleaming,
            While their penons gaily streaming
            Cymru fo am byth.
            From the rocks rebounding
            Let the war cry sounding
            Summon all at Cambria's Call
            The haughty for surrounding
            Men of Harlech on to glory
            See your banner famed in story,
            Waves these burning words before ye,
            Cymru fo am byth!

            Translation

            Men of Harlech! In the Hollow,
            Do ye hear like rushing billow
            Wave on wave that surging follow
            Battle's distant sound?
            Tis the tramp of Saxon foemen,
            Saxon spearmen, Saxon bowmen,
            Be they knights or hinds or yeomen,
            They shall bite the ground!
            Loose the folds asunder,
            Flag we conquer under!
            The placid sky now bright on high,
            Shall launch its bolts in thunder!
            Onward! 'tis the country needs us,
            He is bravest, he who leads us
            Honor's self now proudly heads us,
            Freedom, God and Right!

            --- "Victor Suthren" wrote:

            My grandfather … used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up
            even if he was well into his umpteenth beer.
          • John Harris
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
              Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
              background?
              Yrs.,
              L2 :^)

              Hey Larry
              I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
              Regards
              John Harris
              8^)
              PS- Hoisting one (ahem) to my Welsh brothers on this list as I type!
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                John:

                Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted

                (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)

                Yrs.,
                L2

                --- John Harris wrote:

                Hey Larry
                I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
              • Iain Burns
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Larry...

                  Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your example....

                  WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                  WhisKEY is the Irish.

                  The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation.

                  Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.

                  ( I sometimes wonder if my computer does!)

                  Aye,
                  Iain

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                    John:
                    Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)
                    Yrs.,
                    L2
                    Yes, I suppose you're right on that one Larry!
                    John
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                      Iain

                      Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but

                      If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.

                      Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?

                      Yrs.,
                      L2 :^)
                      PS: notice no mention of Almond Sherry!

                      "Iain Burns" wrote:
                      Larry...
                      Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your
                      example....
                      WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                      WhisKEY is the Irish.
                      The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation. Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.
                    • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                        Hopefully in a big bottle or barrel!
                        Bob Boynton
                        21st RNBF in NC

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                          Iain
                          Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but
                          If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.
                          Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?
                          Yrs.,
                          L2 :^)

                          Usually in oak cask's!
                          8^)
                          John
                        • whittakermp
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 5, 2009
                            I just specify single malt. Easy to spell. Easy to say. Easy going down.

                            Michael Whittaker
                          • Dave Goddard
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 22, 2009
                              ---Hello Tom and others. Disregard the sympaticoe-mail and use david.goddard@... I have tried many times to change it on this site but have had no luck at all. Thanks