1812 Re: An Aussie at Waterloo

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Tim,

      I may have 'gone off half cocked' here.. I automatically assumed you
      were referring to Col DeLancey as I believe he had American
      connections but I later realised that he was the Deputy Quartermaster
      General, not the Adjutant General.. Did you mean him or Major General
      Barnes who I believe was the actual Adjutant General..?

      Cheers,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Potter" <potts4259@...> wrote:

      > Cheers Tim,
      >
      > There's little doubt that Lt White would have got the Waterloo
      medal
      > but he probably took it back to the UK with him.
      >
      > I doubt Lt White considered himself 'Australian' per se - even in
      WW1
      > Australians still referred to the UK as 'home'. I'm just curious if
      > you know if Col Delancy considered himself 'American' or not..?
      >
      > I know Wellington had his own views on whether he was 'Irish' or
      not -
      > I'm paraphrasing (and no offence to the Irish) but wasn't it
      > something along the lines of "Just because one was born in a
      pigsty,
      > doesn't make one a pig"..?
      >
      > Ooroo,
      >
      > John
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@ wrote:
      > >

      > > A small point here but both of you are probably correct. It is
      the
      > Engineer's job to plan defense works, build things etc. Once they
      are
      > complete the Engineer moves on to the next job while other soldiers
      > use the works. Clearly though the chap was on the campaign so he
      > should have got the medal, do we know where it is now? One would
      > assume in Australia.
      > >
      > > With an Austrailian Engineer and an American Adjt. General it
      would
      > be interesting to work out how many other soldiers from the far
      flung
      > corners of the Empire were in Wellington's 'Infamous Army'.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >

      > > Tim

      Time,

      > > > potts4259@ writes:

      > > > think from memory he was a Captain in the Royal Engineers..
      > >

      > > > Nope... while there were a number of RE's in and around
      > Waterloo...
      > >
      > > I am
      > >
      > > > sorry to say, none actually managed to take the field on June
      18
      > th
      > >
      > > 1815. They
      > >
      > > > were all off doing engineering things in case the army suffered
      > >
      > > reverse.
      > >

      > > > JG/RE
      > >
      > > > **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax
      > >
      > > professional in your
      > >
      > > > neighborhood today.
      > >
      > > > (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?
      query=Tax+Return+Preparation+%

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3, 2009
        But Anza is the Peninsula, which is before Waterloo.
        Hmm.

        A conundrum!

        Confound it!

        93rd SHRoFLHU