1812 Re: An Aussie at Waterloo

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2, 2009
      Thanks JG,

      You're quite right - I had a look at my Waterloo Companion after I
      hit 'send' (soemthing I should have done beforehand perhaps!) and was
      surprised to discover that no Engineers received the Waterloo medal
      as you describe. I had always thought that the officers and men of
      the supply chain (as far back as Ostend) have been recognised - a
      first for the British army I believe - but I guess there was more
      discrimination involved as to who got it and who didn't.

      Cheers,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/1/2009 5:28:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > potts4259@... writes:
      >
      > Educated
      > at Woolwich he had achieved the rank of Lieutenant by merit in
      1815
      > and was in charge of one of the Engineer units responsible for
      > creating defences at Hougoumont and la Haye Saint.
      >

      > John,
      >
      > Indeed, Lt. A. D. White was one of the 13 RE officers and part of
      Lieut.
      > Colonel James Carmicheal Smyth detachment of Royal Engineers with
      Wellington and
      > the army from June 13th through June 19th. Lt White was the most
      junior of
      > all the RE's present. Most were posted in Brussels with a number
      of the
      > officers drawing maps of the area for the Duke. One which became
      very famous.
      > Other postings include Hal and Waterloo itself.
      >
      > A number of RE's were heavily engaged at Quatre Bras. In fact on
      the 17th
      > Major Oldfield RE was asked to begin to prepare the defenses at
      Waterloo. The
      > map which had been painstakingly prepared in Brussels was lost for
      a while by
      > Lieutenant Waters RE after being ridden over for by the French
      calvary.

      > Oddly enough the Duke did not want any entrenchments made to the
      battlefield
      > itself that would give Napoleon any inkling of his intentions
      however the
      > Duke was worried about his right flank and asked Lt. Col.
      Carmichael Smyth to
      > erect an entrenchment at Brain-le-leud to the west of the Waterloo
      position.
      > On the morning of June 18th during his inspection of the line the
      Duke was
      > upset that his orders had not been carried out. It seems that the
      RE officer
      > in charge of the Miners and Sappers had become lost during the
      night on their
      > march from Hal. Their Captain was immediately arrested and the
      Company was
      > ordered back to Waterloo. Eventually this company fled in panic
      being told
      > that the French were close at hand shortly after the start of the
      battle when
      > the Belgians and Hanoverian retired from the field.
      >
      > Lt. Col. Carmicheal Smyth considered this a stain upon the honour
      of the
      > Corps and refused to recommend any of the officers attached to
      Waterloo for
      > Honours or Advantages because of this. This may explain the lack
      of recognition
      > for Lt. White and others.
      >
      > All the best,
      > JG/RE
      > **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax
      professional in your
      > neighborhood today.
      > (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=Tax+Return+Preparation+%
      26+Filing&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000004)

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3, 2009
        But Anza is the Peninsula, which is before Waterloo.
        Hmm.

        A conundrum!

        Confound it!

        93rd SHRoFLHU