1812 Re: An Aussie at Waterloo

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1 7:59 PM
      Cheers Tim,

      There's little doubt that Lt White would have got the Waterloo medal
      but he probably took it back to the UK with him.

      I doubt Lt White considered himself 'Australian' per se - even in WW1
      Australians still referred to the UK as 'home'. I'm just curious if
      you know if Col Delancy considered himself 'American' or not..?

      I know Wellington had his own views on whether he was 'Irish' or not -
      I'm paraphrasing (and no offence to the Irish) but wasn't it
      something along the lines of "Just because one was born in a pigsty,
      doesn't make one a pig"..?

      Ooroo,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > A small point here but both of you are probably correct. It is the
      Engineer's job to plan defense works, build things etc. Once they are
      complete the Engineer moves on to the next job while other soldiers
      use the works. Clearly though the chap was on the campaign so he
      should have got the medal, do we know where it is now? One would
      assume in Australia.

      > With an Austrailian Engineer and an American Adjt. General it would
      be interesting to work out how many other soldiers from the far flung
      corners of the Empire were in Wellington's 'Infamous Army'.

      > Cheers
      >

      > Tim

      White

      > was the son of the First Fleet surgeon Peter White and convict
      Rachel

      > Turner. His birth is registered as Botany Bay in 1795. He was
      >
      > recognized by his father and sent to Britain in his teens.
      Educated

      > at Woolwich he had achieved the rank of Lieutenant by merit in 1815
      >
      > and was in charge of one of the Engineer units responsible for
      >
      > creating defences at Hougoumont and la Haye Saint.
      >

      > He returned to Australia and died in Parramatta in 1837.
      >

      > Cheers,
      >

      > John
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@ wrote:
      >

      > > In a message dated 2/25/2009 5:10:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      >
      > > potts4259@ writes:

      > > think from memory he was a Captain in the Royal Engineers..
      >

      > > Nope... while there were a number of RE's in and around
      Waterloo...

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3 5:51 PM
        But Anza is the Peninsula, which is before Waterloo.
        Hmm.

        A conundrum!

        Confound it!

        93rd SHRoFLHU