1812 Re: An Aussie at Waterloo

  • John Potter
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2009
      G'day all,

      I just got back a definitive response from the Head Curator at the
      Hyde Park Barracks Museum in Sydney. Lieutenant Andrew Douglas White
      was the son of the First Fleet surgeon Peter White and convict Rachel
      Turner. His birth is registered as Botany Bay in 1795. He was
      recognized by his father and sent to Britain in his teens. Educated
      at Woolwich he had achieved the rank of Lieutenant by merit in 1815
      and was in charge of one of the Engineer units responsible for
      creating defences at Hougoumont and la Haye Saint.

      He returned to Australia and died in Parramatta in 1837.

      Cheers,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 2/25/2009 5:10:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > potts4259@... writes:

      > think from memory he was a Captain in the Royal Engineers..
      >

      > Nope... while there were a number of RE's in and around Waterloo...
      I am
      > sorry to say, none actually managed to take the field on June 18 th
      1815. They
      > were all off doing engineering things in case the army suffered a
      reverse.

      > JG/RE
      > **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax
      professional in your
      > neighborhood today.
      > (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=Tax+Return+Preparation+%
      26+Filing&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000004)

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3, 2009
        But Anza is the Peninsula, which is before Waterloo.
        Hmm.

        A conundrum!

        Confound it!

        93rd SHRoFLHU