Re: 1812 Dydd Gwyl Dewi

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
      Oops, boyo!
      The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
      founded in 1917.
      The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
      Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
      I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
      Ray

      On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:

      > Diolch very much indeed all!
      >
      > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
      >
      > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
      > Dragon.
      >
      > Craig W

    • JOHN GREIG
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hello Ray and All,
        Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
        Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
        Best wishes,
        Squire.

      • Dave Goddard
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
          To all my Welsh friends have a great St. Dafydd's Day.See you this
          season. Now if I can only get that Leak liquer to work.
          Best
          Dave Goddard
          22nd US Inf.

          > Hello Ray and All,
          > Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
          > Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
          > Best wishes,
          > Squire.

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
            Ooops indeed sir!
            Thanks Ray. I was having a sometimers moment!

            CW
            On 1-Mar-09, at 9:57 AM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

            > Oops, boyo!
            > The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
            > founded in 1917.
            > The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
            > Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
            > I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
            > Ray
            >
            > On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:
            >
            > > Diolch very much indeed all!
            > >
            > > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
            > >
            > > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
            > > Dragon.
            > >
            > > Craig W

          • Tom Hurlbut
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
              Hi Dave!

              Forgive me list members but:

              Dave, your email is not working properly. The addy is rejected and people are trying to reach you.

              Thanks all!

              "Major" Tom

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                background?

                Yrs.,
                L2 :^)

                -- Ray Hobbs wrote:

                Diolch Ioann!

                We ... plan leak soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the
                agenda for today too.... Happy St David's Day, and, of course Cymu am
                byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
              • Victor Suthren

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                    My grandfather (Royal Welch Fusiliers in the Boer War, Wesleyan lay preacher, spoke no English until he emigrated to Canada) used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up even if he was well into his umpteenth beer. Someone once said of the Welsh in rugby that you could score more points than the Welsh, but you never defeated them. Cymru am byth.....

                    Vic Suthren

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                      "Men of Harlick"

                      Wele goelcerth wen yn fflamio
                      A thafodau tan yn bloeddio,
                      Ar I'r dewrion ddod I daro,
                      Unwaith eto n un:
                      Gan fanllefau'r tywysogion
                      Llais gelynion, trwst arfogion,
                      A charlamiad y marchogion,
                      Craig ar graig a grbn!
                      Arfon byth ni orfydd.
                      Cenir yn dragywydd;
                      Cymru fydd fel Cymru fu,
                      Yn glodus ymysg gwledydd,
                      'Nghwyn oleuni'r goelcerth acw,
                      Tros wefusau Cymro'n marw,
                      Annibyniaeth sydd yn galw,
                      Am ei dewraf dyn.

                      Hark I hear the foe advancing
                      Barbed steeds are proudly prancing,
                      Helmets in the sunbeams glancing
                      Symru fo am byth
                      Men of Harlech lie ye dreaming?
                      See ye not their falchions gleaming,
                      While their penons gaily streaming
                      Cymru fo am byth.
                      From the rocks rebounding
                      Let the war cry sounding
                      Summon all at Cambria's Call
                      The haughty for surrounding
                      Men of Harlech on to glory
                      See your banner famed in story,
                      Waves these burning words before ye,
                      Cymru fo am byth!

                      Translation

                      Men of Harlech! In the Hollow,
                      Do ye hear like rushing billow
                      Wave on wave that surging follow
                      Battle's distant sound?
                      Tis the tramp of Saxon foemen,
                      Saxon spearmen, Saxon bowmen,
                      Be they knights or hinds or yeomen,
                      They shall bite the ground!
                      Loose the folds asunder,
                      Flag we conquer under!
                      The placid sky now bright on high,
                      Shall launch its bolts in thunder!
                      Onward! 'tis the country needs us,
                      He is bravest, he who leads us
                      Honor's self now proudly heads us,
                      Freedom, God and Right!

                      --- "Victor Suthren" wrote:

                      My grandfather … used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up
                      even if he was well into his umpteenth beer.
                    • John Harris
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                        background?
                        Yrs.,
                        L2 :^)

                        Hey Larry
                        I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
                        Regards
                        John Harris
                        8^)
                        PS- Hoisting one (ahem) to my Welsh brothers on this list as I type!
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                          John:

                          Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted

                          (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)

                          Yrs.,
                          L2

                          --- John Harris wrote:

                          Hey Larry
                          I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
                        • Iain Burns
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                            Larry...

                            Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your example....

                            WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                            WhisKEY is the Irish.

                            The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation.

                            Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.

                            ( I sometimes wonder if my computer does!)

                            Aye,
                            Iain

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                              John:
                              Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)
                              Yrs.,
                              L2
                              Yes, I suppose you're right on that one Larry!
                              John
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                Iain

                                Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but

                                If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.

                                Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?

                                Yrs.,
                                L2 :^)
                                PS: notice no mention of Almond Sherry!

                                "Iain Burns" wrote:
                                Larry...
                                Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your
                                example....
                                WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                                WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation. Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.
                              • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                  Hopefully in a big bottle or barrel!
                                  Bob Boynton
                                  21st RNBF in NC

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                    Iain
                                    Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but
                                    If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                    Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?
                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2 :^)

                                    Usually in oak cask's!
                                    8^)
                                    John
                                  • whittakermp
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 5, 2009
                                      I just specify single malt. Easy to spell. Easy to say. Easy going down.

                                      Michael Whittaker
                                    • Dave Goddard
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 22, 2009
                                        ---Hello Tom and others. Disregard the sympaticoe-mail and use david.goddard@... I have tried many times to change it on this site but have had no luck at all. Thanks