Re: 1812 Dydd Gwyl Dewi

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
      Diolch Ioann!
      We have some daff bulbs blooming in our living room, and plan leak
      soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the agenda for today
      too.
      To Vic, Craig (even their heritage is north Welsh!) and others on the
      list from the Principality - Happy St David's Day, and, of course
      Cymu am byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
      Ray H
      41st

      On 1-Mar-09, at 7:48 AM, Iain Burns wrote:

      > All...
      >
      > Just a note to wish a happy St David's Day to all the Leek-eaters out
      > there from their Scotch cousins...
      >
      > Iechyd da!
      >
      > Iain
      >
      > (sorry to interrupt the singing...)

    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
        Diolch very much indeed all!

        and a happy Saint Davids day back!

        I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a Dragon.

        Craig W
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
          Oops, boyo!
          The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
          founded in 1917.
          The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
          Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
          I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
          Ray

          On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:

          > Diolch very much indeed all!
          >
          > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
          >
          > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
          > Dragon.
          >
          > Craig W

        • JOHN GREIG
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hello Ray and All,
            Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
            Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
            Best wishes,
            Squire.

          • Dave Goddard
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
              To all my Welsh friends have a great St. Dafydd's Day.See you this
              season. Now if I can only get that Leak liquer to work.
              Best
              Dave Goddard
              22nd US Inf.

              > Hello Ray and All,
              > Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
              > Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
              > Best wishes,
              > Squire.

            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                Ooops indeed sir!
                Thanks Ray. I was having a sometimers moment!

                CW
                On 1-Mar-09, at 9:57 AM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

                > Oops, boyo!
                > The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
                > founded in 1917.
                > The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
                > Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
                > I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
                > Ray
                >
                > On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:
                >
                > > Diolch very much indeed all!
                > >
                > > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
                > >
                > > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
                > > Dragon.
                > >
                > > Craig W

              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Hi Dave!

                  Forgive me list members but:

                  Dave, your email is not working properly. The addy is rejected and people are trying to reach you.

                  Thanks all!

                  "Major" Tom

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                    background?

                    Yrs.,
                    L2 :^)

                    -- Ray Hobbs wrote:

                    Diolch Ioann!

                    We ... plan leak soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the
                    agenda for today too.... Happy St David's Day, and, of course Cymu am
                    byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
                  • Victor Suthren

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                        My grandfather (Royal Welch Fusiliers in the Boer War, Wesleyan lay preacher, spoke no English until he emigrated to Canada) used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up even if he was well into his umpteenth beer. Someone once said of the Welsh in rugby that you could score more points than the Welsh, but you never defeated them. Cymru am byth.....

                        Vic Suthren

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                          "Men of Harlick"

                          Wele goelcerth wen yn fflamio
                          A thafodau tan yn bloeddio,
                          Ar I'r dewrion ddod I daro,
                          Unwaith eto n un:
                          Gan fanllefau'r tywysogion
                          Llais gelynion, trwst arfogion,
                          A charlamiad y marchogion,
                          Craig ar graig a grbn!
                          Arfon byth ni orfydd.
                          Cenir yn dragywydd;
                          Cymru fydd fel Cymru fu,
                          Yn glodus ymysg gwledydd,
                          'Nghwyn oleuni'r goelcerth acw,
                          Tros wefusau Cymro'n marw,
                          Annibyniaeth sydd yn galw,
                          Am ei dewraf dyn.

                          Hark I hear the foe advancing
                          Barbed steeds are proudly prancing,
                          Helmets in the sunbeams glancing
                          Symru fo am byth
                          Men of Harlech lie ye dreaming?
                          See ye not their falchions gleaming,
                          While their penons gaily streaming
                          Cymru fo am byth.
                          From the rocks rebounding
                          Let the war cry sounding
                          Summon all at Cambria's Call
                          The haughty for surrounding
                          Men of Harlech on to glory
                          See your banner famed in story,
                          Waves these burning words before ye,
                          Cymru fo am byth!

                          Translation

                          Men of Harlech! In the Hollow,
                          Do ye hear like rushing billow
                          Wave on wave that surging follow
                          Battle's distant sound?
                          Tis the tramp of Saxon foemen,
                          Saxon spearmen, Saxon bowmen,
                          Be they knights or hinds or yeomen,
                          They shall bite the ground!
                          Loose the folds asunder,
                          Flag we conquer under!
                          The placid sky now bright on high,
                          Shall launch its bolts in thunder!
                          Onward! 'tis the country needs us,
                          He is bravest, he who leads us
                          Honor's self now proudly heads us,
                          Freedom, God and Right!

                          --- "Victor Suthren" wrote:

                          My grandfather … used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up
                          even if he was well into his umpteenth beer.
                        • John Harris
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                            Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                            background?
                            Yrs.,
                            L2 :^)

                            Hey Larry
                            I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
                            Regards
                            John Harris
                            8^)
                            PS- Hoisting one (ahem) to my Welsh brothers on this list as I type!
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                              John:

                              Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted

                              (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)

                              Yrs.,
                              L2

                              --- John Harris wrote:

                              Hey Larry
                              I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
                            • Iain Burns
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                Larry...

                                Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your example....

                                WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                                WhisKEY is the Irish.

                                The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation.

                                Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.

                                ( I sometimes wonder if my computer does!)

                                Aye,
                                Iain

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                  John:
                                  Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)
                                  Yrs.,
                                  L2
                                  Yes, I suppose you're right on that one Larry!
                                  John
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                    Iain

                                    Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but

                                    If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.

                                    Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2 :^)
                                    PS: notice no mention of Almond Sherry!

                                    "Iain Burns" wrote:
                                    Larry...
                                    Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your
                                    example....
                                    WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                                    WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                    The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation. Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.
                                  • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                      Hopefully in a big bottle or barrel!
                                      Bob Boynton
                                      21st RNBF in NC

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                                        Iain
                                        Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but
                                        If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                        Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?
                                        Yrs.,
                                        L2 :^)

                                        Usually in oak cask's!
                                        8^)
                                        John
                                      • whittakermp
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 5, 2009
                                          I just specify single malt. Easy to spell. Easy to say. Easy going down.

                                          Michael Whittaker
                                        • Dave Goddard
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 22, 2009
                                            ---Hello Tom and others. Disregard the sympaticoe-mail and use david.goddard@... I have tried many times to change it on this site but have had no luck at all. Thanks