Dydd Gwyl Dewi

  • Iain Burns
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 4:48 AM
      All...

      Just a note to wish a happy St David's Day to all the Leek-eaters out there from their Scotch cousins...

      Iechyd da!

      Iain

      (sorry to interrupt the singing...)

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 6:08 AM
        Diolch Ioann!
        We have some daff bulbs blooming in our living room, and plan leak
        soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the agenda for today
        too.
        To Vic, Craig (even their heritage is north Welsh!) and others on the
        list from the Principality - Happy St David's Day, and, of course
        Cymu am byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
        Ray H
        41st

        On 1-Mar-09, at 7:48 AM, Iain Burns wrote:

        > All...
        >
        > Just a note to wish a happy St David's Day to all the Leek-eaters out
        > there from their Scotch cousins...
        >
        > Iechyd da!
        >
        > Iain
        >
        > (sorry to interrupt the singing...)

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1 6:44 AM
          Diolch very much indeed all!

          and a happy Saint Davids day back!

          I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a Dragon.

          Craig W
        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1 6:57 AM
            Oops, boyo!
            The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
            founded in 1917.
            The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
            Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
            I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
            Ray

            On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:

            > Diolch very much indeed all!
            >
            > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
            >
            > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
            > Dragon.
            >
            > Craig W

          • JOHN GREIG
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1 7:58 AM
              Hello Ray and All,
              Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
              Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
              Best wishes,
              Squire.

            • Dave Goddard
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1 9:50 AM
                To all my Welsh friends have a great St. Dafydd's Day.See you this
                season. Now if I can only get that Leak liquer to work.
                Best
                Dave Goddard
                22nd US Inf.

                > Hello Ray and All,
                > Pity the Welsh ran out of steam in Paris yesterday.
                > Make up for it by having a good St. Davids Day.
                > Best wishes,
                > Squire.

              • Craig Williams
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1 1:26 PM
                  Ooops indeed sir!
                  Thanks Ray. I was having a sometimers moment!

                  CW
                  On 1-Mar-09, at 9:57 AM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

                  > Oops, boyo!
                  > The leek is the cap badge of the junior upstarts, the Welsh Guards -
                  > founded in 1917.
                  > The Welch regimental cap badge is the Prince of Wales Feathers, with
                  > Prinny's motto (Ich Dien), and a scroll with "The Welch" beneath.
                  > I shall be wearing the latter in my lapel. :-)
                  > Ray
                  >
                  > On 1-Mar-09, at 9:44 AM, Craig Williams wrote:
                  >
                  > > Diolch very much indeed all!
                  > >
                  > > and a happy Saint Davids day back!
                  > >
                  > > I'm wearing a leek today (cap badge of the Welch regiment) and a
                  > > Dragon.
                  > >
                  > > Craig W

                • Tom Hurlbut
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1 4:31 PM
                    Hi Dave!

                    Forgive me list members but:

                    Dave, your email is not working properly. The addy is rejected and people are trying to reach you.

                    Thanks all!

                    "Major" Tom

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2 11:59 AM
                      Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                      background?

                      Yrs.,
                      L2 :^)

                      -- Ray Hobbs wrote:

                      Diolch Ioann!

                      We ... plan leak soup, lamb etc. for dinner. Welsh cakes are on the
                      agenda for today too.... Happy St David's Day, and, of course Cymu am
                      byth! (Especially on the rugby field).
                    • Victor Suthren

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2 12:17 PM
                          My grandfather (Royal Welch Fusiliers in the Boer War, Wesleyan lay preacher, spoke no English until he emigrated to Canada) used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up even if he was well into his umpteenth beer. Someone once said of the Welsh in rugby that you could score more points than the Welsh, but you never defeated them. Cymru am byth.....

                          Vic Suthren

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2 12:57 PM
                            "Men of Harlick"

                            Wele goelcerth wen yn fflamio
                            A thafodau tan yn bloeddio,
                            Ar I'r dewrion ddod I daro,
                            Unwaith eto n un:
                            Gan fanllefau'r tywysogion
                            Llais gelynion, trwst arfogion,
                            A charlamiad y marchogion,
                            Craig ar graig a grbn!
                            Arfon byth ni orfydd.
                            Cenir yn dragywydd;
                            Cymru fydd fel Cymru fu,
                            Yn glodus ymysg gwledydd,
                            'Nghwyn oleuni'r goelcerth acw,
                            Tros wefusau Cymro'n marw,
                            Annibyniaeth sydd yn galw,
                            Am ei dewraf dyn.

                            Hark I hear the foe advancing
                            Barbed steeds are proudly prancing,
                            Helmets in the sunbeams glancing
                            Symru fo am byth
                            Men of Harlech lie ye dreaming?
                            See ye not their falchions gleaming,
                            While their penons gaily streaming
                            Cymru fo am byth.
                            From the rocks rebounding
                            Let the war cry sounding
                            Summon all at Cambria's Call
                            The haughty for surrounding
                            Men of Harlech on to glory
                            See your banner famed in story,
                            Waves these burning words before ye,
                            Cymru fo am byth!

                            Translation

                            Men of Harlech! In the Hollow,
                            Do ye hear like rushing billow
                            Wave on wave that surging follow
                            Battle's distant sound?
                            Tis the tramp of Saxon foemen,
                            Saxon spearmen, Saxon bowmen,
                            Be they knights or hinds or yeomen,
                            They shall bite the ground!
                            Loose the folds asunder,
                            Flag we conquer under!
                            The placid sky now bright on high,
                            Shall launch its bolts in thunder!
                            Onward! 'tis the country needs us,
                            He is bravest, he who leads us
                            Honor's self now proudly heads us,
                            Freedom, God and Right!

                            --- "Victor Suthren" wrote:

                            My grandfather … used to sing it in a beautiful tenor that held up
                            even if he was well into his umpteenth beer.
                          • John Harris
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 3 5:07 PM
                              Can you hear the British soldiers singing "Men of Harlick" in the
                              background?
                              Yrs.,
                              L2 :^)

                              Hey Larry
                              I think (and hope you meant) "Men of Harlech" as opposed to "Men of Harlick"! A simple spelling error but it can mis-interepreted in a very unusual way!
                              Regards
                              John Harris
                              8^)
                              PS- Hoisting one (ahem) to my Welsh brothers on this list as I type!
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 4 8:02 AM
                                John:

                                Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted

                                (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)

                                Yrs.,
                                L2

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 4 8:10 AM
                                  Larry...

                                  Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your example....

                                  WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                                  WhisKEY is the Irish.

                                  The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation.

                                  Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.

                                  ( I sometimes wonder if my computer does!)

                                  Aye,
                                  Iain

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4 8:11 AM
                                    John:
                                    Reading this Yahoo Group daily, I didn't think spellin' counted (Whisky, Whiskey, Harlech, Harlick, etc.)
                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                    Yes, I suppose you're right on that one Larry!
                                    John
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 4 8:41 AM
                                      Iain

                                      Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but

                                      If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.

                                      Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?

                                      Yrs.,
                                      L2 :^)
                                      PS: notice no mention of Almond Sherry!

                                      "Iain Burns" wrote:
                                      Larry...
                                      Spelling counts, but it does vary by nationality at least in your
                                      example....
                                      WhisKY is the Scots spelling
                                      WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                      The problem of course is converting The Gaelic into English leaves some room for variation. Same is probably true for Welsh, and I'm sure it was even harder in the old days when quills didn't have Spell Check.
                                    • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 4 9:41 AM
                                        Hopefully in a big bottle or barrel!
                                        Bob Boynton
                                        21st RNBF in NC

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 4 10:13 AM
                                          Iain
                                          Thanks for the spellin' lesson ... but
                                          If WhisKY is the Scots spelling and WhisKEY is the Irish.
                                          Where does Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey come in ?
                                          Yrs.,
                                          L2 :^)

                                          Usually in oak cask's!
                                          8^)
                                          John
                                        • whittakermp
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 5 9:36 AM
                                            I just specify single malt. Easy to spell. Easy to say. Easy going down.

                                            Michael Whittaker
                                          • Dave Goddard
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 22 3:03 PM
                                              ---Hello Tom and others. Disregard the sympaticoe-mail and use david.goddard@... I have tried many times to change it on this site but have had no luck at all. Thanks