Waterloo 2015

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 20, 2009
      Moderator here.

      The recent spate of messages about Waterloo 1815 are appearing under a
      "subject" line of "Plains of Abraham canceled". This means anybody
      searching the list's archives in the future will not find any of these
      messages. Or, they will have been searching for Plains of Abraham
      stuff and wonder how Waterloo got in to it.

      Either way, not good!

      Please remember to change the "subject" line to what the "subject" of
      your post actually is.

      And, while I'm in "Moderator" mode, I guess I'll also remind everyone
      to please "snip" inclusions from prior messages in your current
      message down to proper and relevant size...

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 20, 2009
        In a message dated 2/20/2009 9:00:13 AM Central Standard Time,
        suthren@... writes:

        Waterloo 2015

        If we are not all too old and sick and tired and stupid to participate, I
        would echo Peter Monahan's query as to whether any thought has been given to
        formalized participation in Waterloo 2015 by the Crown Forces North America?
        The Admirable Peter Twist (TAPT) once suggested in the wine-drenched haze of
        one of the Officers's Messes that if the Crown Forces' various units all
        rekitted out simply as redcoated infantry, the CFNA could present a remarkably
        large, remarkably well-drilled addition to the British line in 2015. Costly,
        perhaps. But a sight to behold and be part of. And a nice bookend to the War of
        1812 Bicentennial. Tim, you'd have quite a brigade to command over there....

        Vic Suthren

        Indeed Vic, I have discussed this with Peter in the past and it is indeed 'a
        consumation devoutly to be wished' and it needen't cost too much, basicaly
        just patching over the collar and cuffs, with gray trousers and 1812 shakos for
        all and we are there!

        For myself I have often thought that I should do 2015 as Picton, right age
        and I get to sit out the second half of the battle! Plus I have the same
        initials and it continues my North Amereican tradition of playing dead generals.
        :-/

        Cheers,

        steps!
        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
          Is there a park in one of the many Waterloos in North America that
          could host a "Waterloo 2015" event? Waterloo, Ontario, is fairly
          central to the greatest mass of us. ;>)

          But seriously, I see that the town (or is it a city?) of Austerlitz in
          New York State is holding an annual Napoleonic event now - the only
          connection to the Napoleonic wars being the name of the place.

          If a Waterloo 2015 event happened in North America, it is bound to be
          a big one, so only the biggest of 1812 sites would have the necessary
          space to pull it off. But the PR rewards for a site in hosting
          something like this could be big.

          Evidently Quebec 1759 is now going to be held outside the Province of
          Quebec, so we have a very clear precedent (and, a much better reason)
          for holding a Waterloo somewhere in North America.

          If going to the actual site in Belgium is just too hard to organize,
          then surely this doesn't mean we have to forgo the experience
          entirely. A host site on our side of the pond might even have some
          advantages for a re-enactment that the real one no longer has, due to
          urban sprawl etc. And many of us have already been to a Waterloo,
          and not just once. Not me, unfortunately - I'd love to go in 2015.
          But if it's not happening in Belgium for us, then a big event over
          here would be the next best thing.

          As for who would organize a trip to Belgium, it would probably have to
          be a committee, that would have people on it that work well together,
          with a coordinator who coordinates as opposed to trying to do it all
          him or herself. Essential on the committee would be a person/s who
          have good contacts with all our groups, and with the NA in Europe and
          hopefully with the Belgian authorities/organizers. And the committee
          would need at least one person with past experience of organizing such
          a trip, so the wheel would not have to be reinvented and any lessons
          learned from the big excursions in 1990 and 1995 would be brought to
          the table.

          Jim Yaworsky
          41st
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
            Do you really think it will be big Jim? Many re-enactors I talk to like
            events because they are a re-enactment of a real battle on a real
            battlefield and some won't go to fabricated events.

            For me the real selling point of going to Waterloo isn't re-enacting the
            battle. It is being THERE. (plus getting to meet the 87th Foot our sister
            Reg't) So while Waterloo ON would be closer and cheaper, it would be more of
            a disappointment for me. Even if there were 400 frenchies for me to shoot
            it just wouldn't be the same. (besides Michael will be at the real Waterloo
            and he is the ONLY frenchy the 89th likes to shoot at!)

            So put down the Twinkie and start duct taping the muskets to the wheelchair,
            cuz I am turning you, Ray, and John into tanks!

            KW

            _____

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
              wrote:

              > Do you really think it will be big Jim? Many re-enactors I talk to like
              > events because they are a re-enactment of a real battle on a real
              > battlefield and some won't go to fabricated events.
              >

              > For me the real selling point of going to Waterloo isn't re-enacting the
              > battle. It is being THERE.

              Good points, Kevin. I honestly don't have a clue how big it would be
              if a clone event was staged somewhere in North America. I don't know
              how many "locals" (if you call anywhere in the US and Canada "local")
              plan on going to Waterloo all on their own, or with their own group.
              If Michael and Tim Pickles and Benton Jennings and the Highlanders
              "and x" "and y" "and z" all intend on going to the "real show" and
              this is known already, this would certainly make a North American
              event less viable.

              And I agree about being THERE.

              I guess I'm curious to know if any of this has been SERIOUSLY looked
              at and investigated reasonably thoroughly. The opinions expressed to
              this group in the past few days (including, of course, mine) have all
              struck me as rather "off the cuff" - and I'm not speaking about
              facings... OUCH! ;>0

              Jim Yaworsky
              "Owns a Baker, wants to shoot some of the Emperor's minions with it..."
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
                It has been recently discussed and bicentennial events in Europe are being
                looked at. It is all very recent (2 weeks) so there is nothing really that
                has come from it but information is being gathered contacts being made etc
                etc. . .

                KW

                _____

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
                  Gentlemen,
                  For what it's worth on this subject, here's the view of a Redcoat
                  Highlander Private. I would only be interested in a Waterloo in
                  Europe, portraying my own unit. Cost, logistics, politics can all be
                  overcome, individually if necessary.

                  No setting can beat the actual thing: marching thru tall rye in a
                  kilt, forming a square agains hoards of French Cavalry, having the
                  Piper pipe around the outside of the Square in the thick smoke...
                  truely the closest one can get to a Time Machine.

                  2015 will give me 30 years in reenacting, and I too plan to hang up
                  the musket and bonnet; hopefully passing them on to my Grandson. It
                  is a worthy goal and I am glad to see it being talked about this
                  early. I am willing to bet it will be a very big event in Europe, and
                  CFNA can only add to it. I look forward to reliving history again!

                  Harry
                  42d RHR

                  <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                  > It has been recently discussed and bicentennial events in Europe
                  are being
                  > looked at. It is all very recent (2 weeks) so there is nothing
                  really that
                  > has come from it but information is being gathered contacts being
                  made etc
                  > etc. . .
                  >

                  > KW
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                  On Behalf
                  > Of James Yaworsky
                  >

                  > I guess I'm curious to know if any of this has been SERIOUSLY looked
                  > at and investigated reasonably thoroughly. The opinions expressed to
                  > this group in the past few days (including, of course, mine) have
                  all
                  > struck me as rather "off the cuff" - and I'm not speaking about
                  > facings... OUCH! ;>0
                  >
                  > Jim Yaworsky

                • John Potter
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 21, 2009
                    Gee, you blokes are spoilt..! In Australia we don't have the luxury
                    of only attending events on actual battle sites and to my knowledge
                    only one event in Oz has ever taken place on or near the site of the
                    original combat (the Vinegar Hill convict uprising near Parramatta in
                    1804/reenacted in 2004).

                    We regularly hold events in places with no connection to the original
                    history because of a convenient or historic location, friendly
                    organising committee (the Battle of Lithgow in NSW) or because of a
                    name association (such as a regular Nelson's Navy gig in the town of
                    Trafalgar, Victoria)

                    I personally think a Waterloo event in the US would be a great idea
                    to get the 1812 British units and the BN French units facing off
                    against each other. It would serve as a good alternative to going to
                    Europe for those who can't afford the expense or inconvenience of
                    travel to Europe.

                    Cheers,

                    John

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Pilotto" <hpilotto42@...>

                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 22, 2009
                      Jim, I just now have seen your post and have not looked at all the replies yet..but all I can say is...are you kidding me?
                      I might be in a wheelchair and have to hock us to bankruptcy, but I will be in BELGIUM for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo.

                      End of story.

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                      www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders
                      www.new.facebook.com/people/Sutherland_Highlanders/1120912511

[...]

                      ------------------------------------

                      War of 1812 Living History:
                      A wide-ranging information exchange
                      for all participants and supporters

                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                      American Forces Unit Listing
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 22, 2009
                        Harry, you will get all that and more as part of the Highland Brigade....even if they have to cart me around in an ambulance! (Just ask Highlanders who have served under me before over there!)
                        ;-)

                        ------------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 22, 2009
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:

                          > Jim, I just now have seen your post and have not looked at all the
                          replies yet..but all I can say is...are you kidding me?
                          > I might be in a wheelchair and have to hock us to bankruptcy, but I
                          will be in BELGIUM for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo.

                          > End of story.

                          I never doubted you would, Benton. And what would a real Waterloo be
                          without as many of the Ladies From Hell present as possible? ;>)

                          I was just "thinking out loud", wondering what options might exist for
                          the mass of redcoats here in Great Lakes Land who might not feel as
                          strongly about rolling on to the actual battlefield in a wheelchair if
                          necessary, but who might still want to do a "Waterloo" closer to
                          "home". I didn't know if the North American NA was planning anything
                          on this side of the pond.

                          The consensus of those who have posted so far certainly seems to be
                          "Belgium or Bust!"

                          Jim Yaworsky
                          41st
                        • HQ93rd@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 22, 2009
                              Good gad Jim, Look at all the posts I have just made! Woo!
                              You were quite correct about me!

                              Heck, the original thing that got me into all this living history stuff (even excluding the Alamo, and I will admit! - that IS hard to admit, being a Texan)  was the Life magazine of 1965 featuring the the Battle of Waterloo. I still have that very same copy my parents received in the mail. My boyhood fantasies came true, not once but now THREE times when I was privileged to be there and reenact that momentus time in history.

                              Oh bollocks...I'm being maudlin. That's not what everyone expects of me!....

                              ......Ok...ummm...Hey..I'm STILL not nominated for an Oscar. WTF? Yo!

                              Yes indeed-- Belgium or bust!

                              LoL

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 22, 2009
                                Sir

                                With all the talk of Waterloo 2000 , 2005 ?!?!?

                                Is there going to be a Waterloo 2015?
                                (I mean for American and Canadians)

                                Gunpowder, lodging, flights, etc. to be organized.

                                Who's doing it?
                                I feel sorry for him/her ...
                                I know how much work it was in 90 and 95
                                (ask your buddy Mr. Stutt)

                                Yrs.,
                                L2

                                --- "Ross Flowers" wrote:

                                You mean there is someone NOT going to Waterloo in 2015????
                              • Mark Dickerson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 22, 2009
                                  Larry, as far as I know, nobody has stated organizing things yet, but it is
                                  still too early other than to make preliminary suggestions. But I know that
                                  we in the Royal Scots light company are planning on going, whether or not
                                  there is a North American contingent.

                                  And that fishing rod case that we bought from Canadian Tire for Waterloo
                                  1990/ 95 is no longer being made.

                                  Mark Dickerson

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 22, 2009
                                    Mark

                                    In conversations with the organizers of 1990 and 1995 they both said it would take longer than the five years they had to organize a trip to Belgium with gunpowder to be supplied (cannot take it on the plane), lodging (as most hotels will be full) , flights (special rates and consideration for muskets, swords), etc. (all those odds and ends such as busses n' stuff)

                                    You were there in 90 and 95 and even with all the organization, there were problems.

                                    So if there is to be a Waterloo 2015 (instead of a world class football game with which sponsors can recap their money) there should be some organization here in North America.

                                    I know that our brothers in the UK and Europe have a re-enactments there every year but for us North Americans it takes planning.
                                    (ask Mr.Catley, he was coming from UK to USA)

                                    I hope to go but my former trips say "tread with caution"

                                    As far as the cases, Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart still sell fly fishing rod cases that muskets will fit into. But for those who want a real case for your muskets, google Shooter's Choice Waterloo Ontario

                                    --- "Mark Dickerson" wrote:
                                    "... nobody has stated organizing things yet, but it is still too early other than to make preliminary suggestions … that fishing rod case that we bought from Canadian Tire for Waterloo 1990/ 95 is no longer being made."
                                  • Dave Westhouse
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 22, 2009
                                      "... nobody has stated organizing things yet,"

                                      Mark,

                                      Are you volunteering? I have lots of questions. Do you have the answers?

                                      Dave.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
                                        I shall be there, leading the Highland Wheelchair-Walker Brigade.
                                        And constantly repeating the line from the film, "Good beans,
                                        Wellington!"
                                        I am sure Tim Pickles will reply each time by throwing bottles of
                                        Geritol at me.
                                        d'Erlon's Corps don't know what they are in for!

                                        Lt Col something or other speak up sonny

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 8 4:00 PM
                                          Gentlemen

                                          Although I know I've mentioned this before, I am sure it has occurred to you that the ranks of US, British and Canadian units of the War of 1812 are going to swell in size as new members become involved for the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. But as someone pointed out, after two hugely eventful years ending with the re-enactment of the Battle of New Orleans in early 2015 there will be a sizeable and experienced body of officers and men in North America well able to represent troops of the Napoleonic era, but with nothing else large of that period on the horizon. But isn't the 200th of Waterloo being staged, a massive event, in 2015? What a way to end the 1812 commemorations, if it was possible to organize a major North American contingent of 1812 Bicentennial 'veterans' to travel to, and be formidably present at, Waterloo....

                                          I believe I hear a distant drum....

                                          Vic Suthren
                                          Naval Establishments
                                          Crown Forces North America

                                        • petemonahan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 29, 2013

                                            The 200th of the Battle of Waterloo is rapidly approaching and a committee has been formed to support the interests of those in North America who wish to participate as part of the Crown Forces North American Division.

                                            We need to know if you or your unit is interested in participating as part of our Division!

                                            To participate as a unit, your group must be of a reasonable size.  We have communicated those guidelines to unit commanders.

                                            How do you participate?

                                            If your unit may go, encourage your unit commander to let us know of your group’s interest.

                                            A similar notice has been sent to each unit commander for whom we have contact information.

                                             If you wish to be on the field as an individual, that best way to attend is to seek an existing unit.  Assistance can be provided to match up with units but an individual should anticipate visiting with and serving with the host unit at an event in 2014, as that host unit will need to be comfortable with your safety and conduct as they will be responsible for you.

                                            The uniform standard will be a red coat (each unit can wear their own coat) with grey trousers and Belgic shakos.  Any desire to appear in any other type of uniform as part of the Crown Forces Division you should inquire and seek approval.

                                            Details are being worked on around points of departure, transportation of muskets/equipment, etc.

                                            A sample trip itinerary can be found at the Ellison Travel and Tours website:

                                            https://ettravel.com/waterloo200

                                             Individuals, who wish to travel as part of the group booking but not necessarily be on the field in uniform, can express their interest on the Ellison Travel and Tours website.

                                            Please contact Peter Monahan for more details at:  petemonahan@...